Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Small Peace Dollar Collection. Had #7 all along!

2»

Comments

• Options

If you have some patients, try looking for 'Improperly Cleaned' coins graded as 'Unc Details.' They're usually much discounted, but many are in great shape and hard to tell they've been cleaned. Witness my 1921 Peace dollar:

• Options

Hope this is not sacrilegious? Here's my 1928...

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:

@291fifth said:
    Sorry, but I don't think much of your Peace Dollar buys. I think you are overpaying for inferior coins. Your most recent coin, the 1922-S, is, by my standards, an AU55. It has a very bland look, rub on the high points and a lot of small marks. If you paid $70, in my opinion you overpaid. It is a common date coin I would have passed on at any price over bullion.

With a due respect I do not agree with this comment at today’s prices. Yes it is a common date but it is uncirculated (not AU?? It doesn’t matter what someone thinks it grades - based on a picture no less - it only matters what PCGS graded it!) but the market currently is very hot and arguably a sellers market. Probably not the best time to be starting a new collection - and I might agree with that - but to say the coin is not worth 70 dollars is in disagreement with the current market. Just my 2 cents. And I know folks who actually collect low mint state peace dollars so there is a market for them as well that is over spot. Although this is a common date it’s not a cull coin.
    I think this is an issue with our veteran coin collectors - no patience or appreciation for newbie collectors and then wonder why the space is dying out —

Third Party Grader opinions are just that, opinions. I have my own standards and my opinions are based on those standards. I don't blindly accept the opinions of others.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dqward said:
    If you have some patients, try looking for 'Improperly Cleaned' coins graded as 'Unc Details.' They're usually much discounted, but many are in great shape and hard to tell they've been cleaned. Witness my 1921 Peace dollar

As long as you recognize that that significant discount will still apply (if not be yet more significant) when you go to sell, by all means, collect what you like. But that's very different than taking a graded coin with some significant distractions and thinking it should be cracked, played with, and sent to another grading company for a (when all things are considered, small at best) financial gain that is very, very unlikely to occur.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both "Cleaned/Detailed" coins posted are still quite Beautiful! Thanks for posting.
    ;)<3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

You got it!! Once you let go of the pretext of financial incentive and grade prowess you'll find some very beautiful and interesting coins and medals, even in a standard series - in my opinion.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the fact these cleaned coins were posted - just goes to show you that cleaned is not always obvious .... I have a coin graded cleaned - but not holdered - and it is a beauty.. I have had several coin guys that can’t believe it was graded cleaned, but it was - it happens

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:

...can’t believe it was graded cleaned, but it was - it happens

Yep. This happened to me at the beginning of the year. When my Dime came back, "Cleaned". I was shocked, along with my dealer friend and many here on the forum. My Mercury Dime went from a ms 62 FB $1000 coin, that I expected it to end up being, to a Cleaned Detailed coin that's probably only valued at $50-$70? Oh well, what can one do?

:/

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    I love the fact these cleaned coins were posted - just goes to show you that cleaned is not always obvious .... I have a coin graded cleaned - but not holdered - and it is a beauty.. I have had several coin guys that can’t believe it was graded cleaned, but it was - it happens

The way both of those coins are photographed doesn’t do much to make your point. Being that zoomed out and the lighting used can easily mask a cleaning. I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from either shot.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

Agreed, the photos are not great, particluarly the '21, and you'll need to be careful when buying cleaned coins. However, I think I can say the '21 is a 63/64 with a strike in the top 10% (the hard part), the '28 is a solid 64. Both lack the fine scratches usually seen on harshly cleaned coins. Peace dollars are my specialty and I've seen a lot of them in past 25 years. If you're just looking for really nice coins at comparitively low cost, this is a niche. Here's a nice '21 in 65 with a good strike;

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dqward said:
    Agreed, the photos are not great, particluarly the '21, and you'll need to be careful when buying cleaned coins. However, I think I can say the '21 is a 63/64 with a strike in the top 10% (the hard part), the '28 is a solid 64. Both lack the fine scratches usually seen on harshly cleaned coins. Peace dollars are my specialty and I've seen a lot of them in past 25 years. If you're just looking for really nice coins at comparitively low cost, this is a niche. Here's a nice '21 in 65 with a good strike;

Now that’s what I call a clean cheek. 👀.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@dqward said:

Washed out lighting smooths everything--lustre and marks.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@dqward said:

Washed out lighting smooths everything--lustre and marks.

I have much to learn. Thank you 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking good my coin brother

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Your point is well taken. Go to coin shows and bring a loop. Most dealers will provide decent lighting. Be prepared, you'll find some good coins and a lot of not so good coins. Have fun...

• Options
    edited December 3, 2021 3:32PM

I had this one before my so called first Peace Dollar I purchased! I totally forgot about my,"Dad's Dollar"! Lol.
    Here is my brother Jeff's Peace Dollar from my Dad. Lol.
    1926s

Onto hunting for #8.

:D

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll buy all your AU's that look like that 23-S for $18 all day long. It is overgraded, but agree with NGC that it is UNC. Not one I would buy, but agree that is nowhere a bullion coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file