Home Sports Talk
Options

Could you say no to Tom Brady?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 600th, estimated to be worth $500k, could you have said no? Here's a clip of Tom talking about the famous ball.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2021 10:05AM

How could one prove if it is #600 to anyone.

I’d think a game played autographed ball and jersey would be a good gesture

And I wouldn’t say no

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I couldn't say no to the GOAT either.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just heard that ( probably due to the public outcry) the team is going to be giving that guy "some more goodies".

• Options

I could have immediately thought of a laundry list of demands in exchange for the ball. Including, but not limited to ...

Many non personalized signed items.

A personalized signed ball, something like "Thisistheshow, thanks for giving me my ball back, Tom Brady"

5 minutes alone with Tom so I can joke with him about what it's like to also be married to a Brazilian

I could go on

• Options

I would say no to Sam Darnold, and put a cherry on top!

• Options
    edited October 25, 2021 11:01AM

Here's an interesting article written by Barstool Sports about this.

No One Is Living With More Regret Today Than The Fan Who Gave Up Tom Brady's 600th TD Ball (Worth At Least $500k) For Some Signed Jerseys and a Gift Card To The Team Store

Mondays are all about regret. Maybe you got too drunk and sent that text to someone that you didn't mean to. Maybe you got arrested. Or you made a few wagers that went the wrong way. Didn't feel up to it to go out and missed a great night? Well how about this fella at the Bucs game who basically was handed a winning lotto ticket and gave it up for essentially nothing?

Tom Brady threw his 600th career touchdown pass yesterday, becoming the first human to ever accomplish the feat. Mike Evans caught the pill and as is tradition with all of his TD catches, he found a fan in the stands and gave the ball away. He had no idea that was Brady's 600th and some incredibly lucky fan ended up with the prized possession. During a commercial break an employee of the Bucs ran over to barter with the fan in hopes of retrieving the ball. That fan crumbled as quick as humanly possible. He didn't even make it with the ball when they returned from commercial. No chance that Bucs employee thought it would be that easy.

No biggie though, not like the ball was worth anything.

He ended up with a $1,000 gift card to the team store, a different game ball, and a promise of some signed memorabilia. Dude what the heck are you gonna do with a different game ball? Signed jerseys are cool and all, especially from Tom Brady, but we're talking at minimum $500,000 here. I'm sure there's a bunch of people calling him a real classy fan for not taking much in return. Yeah okay, I'm willing to bet that dude is waking up with all of the regret in the world now that realized what he missed out on. I'm sorry, I'm all for doing the right thing but if you're this guy you gotta put that to the side and walk out of the stadium with the ball.

Half a million dollars and all he got was a gift card to the Bucs team store, a random football, and signed jerseys? Basically the trade equivalent of the Rays giving up Chris Archer to the Pirates in exchange for Austin Meadowns, Tyler Glasnow, and Shane Baz. Tell that guy trying to negotiate that he can call you later and we'll talk. At the absolute bare minimum you gotta get like season tix for life if you're not chasing any kind of money. Maybe some suite action? You absolutely have to set up a situation where you're the one to hand over the ball to Tom Brady himself. Maybe arrange some dinner with Tom and Gisele after? How about a spot on the boat if they win the Super Bowl again?

The very last thing I'm doing is giving that ball to someone not named Tom Brady. That man had all the leverage in this situation and gave it all away under pressure. In the heat of the moment it's hard to think rationally of course, but you gotta be stronger than that.

Hopefully the Bucs and Brady make it right for him because that fan really dropped the ball (no pun intended).

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is no way in this world I would be leaving that stadium without that ball.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    How could one prove if it is #600 to anyone.

I’d think a game played autographed ball and jersey would be a good gesture

And I wouldn’t say no

It could be pretty easily photomatched. That is commonly what is done with game used memorabilia

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2021 11:10AM

Without any hesitation I would look him right in the face and tell him “Tom I love ya but not more than money, pay up or I’m keeping it”.

One thing you guys know about me is Tom Brady is my favorite player in any sport of all time, it’s not even close or debatable but outside of that he is just another man, and he don’t care one bit about me in any way shape or form. The right thing for Tom to do is offer the guy something like 50-100k to maybe help the guy out for being that one in a billion chance he got ball #600, if it means something to Tom then he should do the right thing and give the guy something that literally would mean absolutely NOTHING to Toms financial situation but probably mean a lot to the guy and maybe his family.

That’s my thoughts. I root for Pats and Red Sox players as well as Tom but I got no desire to meet any of them, they are just other dudes.

They are not family or close friends, to family and close friends I’d do pretty much anything for them.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Without any hesitation I would look him right in the face and tell him “Tom I love ya but not more than money, pay up or I’m keeping it”.

One thing you guys know about me is Tom Brady is my favorite player in any sport of all time, it’s not even close or debatable but outside of that he is just another man, and he don’t care one bit about me in any way shape or form. The right thing for Tom to do is offer the guy something like 50-100k to maybe help the guy out for being that one in a billion chance he got ball #600, if it means something to Tom then he should do the right thing and give the guy something that literally would mean absolutely NOTHING to Toms financial situation but probably mean a lot to the guy and maybe his family.

That’s my thoughts. I root for Pats and Red Sox players as well as Tom but I got no desire to meet any of them, they are just other dudes.

They are not family or close friends, to family and close friends I’d do pretty much anything for them.

That's why I was asking for a plethora of non-personalized signed items. Figure I can do well enough financially. It would have to be something like that. Plus the meet and greet. And the personalized football. And maybe he has to join the forum for a day and talk football. 😂😂

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

That's why I was asking for a plethora of non-personalized signed items. Figure I can do well enough financially. It would have to be something like that. Plus the meet and greet. And the personalized football. And maybe he has to join the forum for a day and talk football. 😂😂

It would be a wast of time Having Tom here, he would dance around every question like he is a champ at doing lol.

He openly admitted what he says is not really how he feels…

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

It would be a wast of time Having Tom here, he would dance around every question like he is a champ at doing lol.

He openly admitted what he says is not really how he feels…

I know, I know. But perhaps within a couple of hours he would open up after seeing all of the DD threads. 😂 Obviously I'm just kidding, but I'm serious about the cash/items/ meet and greet. And there would be more. I would definitely milk it.

• Options
    FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

I could easily say no simply by saying yes to my family’s well being. Straight to auction and would wish Tom the best of luck should he choose to bid. And would not even think twice.

• Options

Is Tom keeping the ball? I guess I was under the assumption the ball would be going to the Hall of Fame in Canton? that is really where it belongs, at least in my opinion.

At first i was thinking i could hold out for intense negotiations, but upon further review, If Tommy himself came over to negotiate and fluttered those Brown eyes at me...

well, I dont know if I could resist...

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Is Tom keeping the ball? I guess I was under the assumption the ball would be going to the Hall of Fame in Canton? that is really where it belongs, at least in my opinion.

At first i was thinking i could hold out for intense negotiations, but upon further review, If Tommy himself came over to negotiate and fluttered those Brown eyes at me...

well, I dont know if I could resist...

I've read that Brady and his business partners are trying to turn the ball into an collectible where Tom has the ball in his possession, but multiple investors actually own infinitesimal shares of it. What a scam...

• Options

ok, I think there is only one place for that ball to reside, in Canton.

fractional ownership of collectables has been going on for awhile now.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2021 4:26PM

Reading this I feel like going on a rant! I'll do it it stages. First of all....the mark-up for the garbage they sell in the gift store is about a gazillion dollars....so a $1,000 gift certificate is actually worth about 37¢ wholesale. How generous of the Bucs! Second....... about those autographed jerseys?.......I'll get back to you all later on that..........what a joke!

• Options
    edited October 27, 2021 4:55PM

O.K. About those fabulous autographed jerseys...... I have received in the mail several autographed jerseys that I never asked for. Jerry Rice....and then Some guy named Nelson on a Bills jersey, number 88 I think. And a Bronco jersey. Etc. Who? I don't know or care. I give them all away. Here's what I think. Actually I know.......the teams have so many jerseys etc., laying around that it is cheaper to mail them out than put them in the laundry. Those autographed (?) jerseys are a joke. If they were worth anything the teams wouldn't be giving them away for free.......it's all a racket.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2021 6:21PM

Delete...I'm done.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    O.K. About those fabulous autographed jerseys...... I have received in the mail several autographed jerseys that I never asked for. Jerry Rice....and then Some guy named Nelson on a Bills jersey, number 88 I think. And a Bronco jersey. Etc. Who? I don't know or care. I give them all away.

one man's trash is another man's treasure

• Options
    edited October 27, 2021 6:40PM

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:
    O.K. About those fabulous autographed jerseys...... I have received in the mail several autographed jerseys that I never asked for. Jerry Rice....and then Some guy named Nelson on a Bills jersey, number 88 I think. And a Bronco jersey. Etc. Who? I don't know or care. I give them all away.

I understand that. I gave the Jerry Rice jersey to my favorite bank teller. She was having a Super Bowl party when the Niners were in the Super Bowl a year or so ago. Shes a Niner fan and she was thrilled! The other jerseys I give to a young man at the shop. He collects them. All I'm trying to say is that I think that stuff is way over valued and over priced. AND......I think the autographs on them are somewhat questionable. Even with a COA. Just my opinion.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

I understand that. I gave the Jerry Rice jersey to my favorite bank teller. She was having a Super Bowl party when the Niners were in the Super Bowl a year or so ago. Shes a Niner fan and she was thrilled! The other jerseys I give to a young man at the shop. He collects them. All I'm trying to say is that I think that stuff is way over valued and over priced. AND......I think the autographs on them are somewhat questionable. Even with a COA. Just my opinion.

There's definitely questionable signed stuff out there.