Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

nat’s top 100 picks - subbed at the national

blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a ton of vintage either. I would have expected to see a 51 Bowman or 52 Topps Mantle.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

Didn’t see a single hockey card in there

Jim

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2021 6:36PM

nat mostly collects modern basketball. and nolan ryan.

eta: thought it was pretty eye opening at what all is being subbed outside the major four. nice spread of soccer, boxing, golf, tennis, olympics, gpk, pokemon & g.o.t. in there.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2021 7:26PM

Do you suppose Nat's subs ever get assigned to The Grader of Death and/or The Greasy Handler?

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

White glove treatment im sure now.

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I subbed a 1907 Dietsche Ty Cobb fielding card that graded a 3. It’s a postcard but sad to see it did not make the top 100. I’m assuming maybe because it’s a postcard? The fielding card is much rarer than the batting one. Only a pop 11 now with 6 being the highest grade.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

No 2020 Panini Mosaic Tom Brady base card? Where's the love???

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow the Pele card.

And the 53 Mick looks like it just came out of a pack. In 2018 that’s a 9 all day.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Wow the Pele card.

And the 53 Mick looks like it just came out of a pack. In 2018 that’s a 9 all day.

I literally said that out loud when I saw it, "Wow the Pele card"...

This is a mind boggling list, let alone knowing that it was submitted over the course of a few days...just wow

• Options
    habs007habs007 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

no hockey - but like 29 other different categories

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Imagine the upcharges on those beauties!!

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definitely an interesting list and includes some mind-blowing cards. The thing to remember, I think, is the subtitle:

100 Exceptional Cards as Seen Through the Eyes of CU’s CEO

Every one of us would pick a different 100 cards that would likely favor our own personal tastes. Modern basketball isn't my thing, but it makes the cards no less impressive. Nat has a long history of collecting great modern basketball, so it makes perfect sense that his list would have a lot of that category.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

@tmgrnzx9r said:
    I subbed a 1907 Dietsche Ty Cobb fielding card that graded a 3. It’s a postcard but sad to see it did not make the top 100. I’m assuming maybe because it’s a postcard? The fielding card is much rarer than the batting one. Only a pop 11 now with 6 being the highest grade.

The lack of vintage baseball was surprising. And a red Cobb 2.5 made the list over yours? I'd take the Dietsche any day of the week.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

It appears that the eyes of the CEO do not look fondly upon the NHL.

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

@scmavl said:

@tmgrnzx9r said:

The lack of vintage baseball was surprising. And a red Cobb 2.5 made the list over yours? I'd take the Dietsche any day of the week.

Appreciate that! I reached out to Nat via IG, he said he did not see the dietsche card. So maybe if he did it would have made the list.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

walter payton psa 10 rookie is amazing.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

Gosh, he sure did well on his submissions!! Great job PSA for helping out the guy get a couple PSA 10's.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1954 said:
    Gosh, he sure did well on his submissions!! Great job PSA for helping out the guy get a couple PSA 10's.

I might be reading this incorrectly, but are you of the belief that these are Nat's cards? They are not. He viewed scans of the cards that were submitted to PSA by customers and picked his 100 favorites.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

That 1953 Mantle is sick. The 1976 Payton is awesome as well.

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

I fell compelled to send the 1953 Mantle a "Get Well Soon" card.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:
    walter payton psa 10 rookie is amazing.

One of my big takeaways from The National this year was that middle to high end Payton RCs are still abundant in supply.
    I love that card to pieces - but I'd advise don't ever overpay or rush to acquire.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Yay yay Nat! Now I finally know what cards matter. Him posting this as a thread would have been way cool. Him having someone else write it and lead with it on the main board, not so much. But what the heck do I know? I am just a customer.