Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Payment before Receipt, after, or using 3rd person as escrow agent?

How do purchases generally work around here?

X wants to by coins from Y. Y posts images, X and Y agree on a price...
Then what?

Coins shipped, and payment on satisfactory receipt of coins?
Payment made using Paypal (Goods and Services has some automatic insurance?), then coins shipped?
Payment sent to mutually agreed and respected CU member, then coins shipped, then on receipt the 3rd party forwards the payment?

Half up front? C.O.D.? Double your money back guarantee? Order today and get a free uncirculated Lincoln Cent?

Thanks!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on who's involved. If one party is well established and the other isn't, good chance it will favor that party. They get paid before they ship, or they pay upon receipt depending on whether they're the seller or the buyer. If both sides are established, it's probably more likely to be buyer pays then seller ships (if electronic payment is used) or seller ships at the same time the buyer mails a check. Or if both parties know each other, it could be that the seller ships so the buyer can take a look, and then the buyer either pays or sends the coin back.

If you're worried about it, pay with PayPal (not friends/family) and your purchase is covered, though the price may go up to cover fees.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2021 12:14PM

I'm pretty new here but so far my experiences have been as follows:

As a Buyer:
    I've bough from people on here who have a lot of posts and seem to be well know and have not had any issue. In that instance I have paid them as Pay Pal Friends & Family. From less well known posters or short term members I have yet to buy from and would probably do PP Goods and Services at first.

As a Seller:
    People have given me a chance to prove I am an honest seller and have not had any issues with the coins I have sold. The more I sell the better my rep gets i'm guessing. Usually do PP Goods and Services so they get some level of trust but I have recently done a check transaction with a well known member and I have no issues. I wait till all the payments clear or are recieved before shipping. It involves some level of trust.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2021 2:47PM

Great advice above! I've been around awhile, but I've never had any problems with trust from anyone here going way back. I think I've developed a decent reputation. I buy often and pay instantly. For the newcomers, plan to pay in advance if you're buying and ship in advance if you're selling - and build that trust. It's an outstanding place to do reasonable business that works for both sides. Just my 2 cents :smile:

• Options
    Nederveit2Nederveit2 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

I was on the boards but took a break about 10 years ago, and once back couldn't get my old persona activated so I look like a newbie. I would also offer up other positive buying/selling experiences, like looking at my e-bay history or other verifiable exchange histori
    Almost every exchange here for me has been positive, but I would caution against scammers (you can see the latest one in recent BST threads). About 12 years ago I had a dealer go rogue and lost a couple of thousand, but his cohorts stepped in and made me whole. This is probably the best place to buy/sell given the people here. Once I started a few new successful transactions, I would then list those folks in my BST thread so they could vouch for their experience. Good luck.

• Options
    hiwatthiwatt Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I've had numerous transactions as a buyer and seller both here and on cointalk, and never had any problems. I think these two communities are among the most trust-worthy I've ever seen. I wouldn't worry. If someone was not honoring their commitments word would get around pretty quickly.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭

please know the limitations of USPS insurance. They do not cover 90% silver in terms of replacement value.

Learn the nuances of shipping, insurance etc. Use ways that protect both the buyer and seller. i.e. paypal, credit cards... Do not use person to person money transfers like MOneygram or Western Union.

Ask for references. If you have a problem work with the buyer or seller. Try to get it resolved.

LEARN THE LIMITATIONS OF SHIPPING INSURANCE. Make sure you know the ins and outs of shipping insurances. Just in case.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nederveit2 said:
    I was on the boards but took a break about 10 years ago, and once back couldn't get my old persona activated so I look like a newbie. I would also offer up other positive buying/selling experiences, like looking at my e-bay history or other verifiable exchange histori
    Almost every exchange here for me has been positive, but I would caution against scammers (you can see the latest one in recent BST threads). About 12 years ago I had a dealer go rogue and lost a couple of thousand, but his cohorts stepped in and made me whole. This is probably the best place to buy/sell given the people here. Once I started a few new successful transactions, I would then list those folks in my BST thread so they could vouch for their experience. Good luck.

I feel your pain, but dodged it... i took a break for almost 20 years, but re-established my old account.
    Good advice above, and at least in the OLD DAYS 20 years ago, this community was solid. Sounds like it still is!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Unless a long history of transactions, I recommend payment after receipt of the coin(s). I learned this lesson the hard way.

Casabrown