Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RIP Dusty Hill ZZ Top

ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I just saw this. Sucks. Those guys are iconic.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. And they certainly are iconic.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe will have a tv dinner in the future

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big loss. RIP

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw them in Austin for Eliminater tour. Opened the show with gigantic dashboard from classic car. Rip

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘‘Twas my first live concert.” And all thru the house, a lot of creatures were stirring.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Dusty

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have mercy
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw...

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I got to see them on their 50th anniversary tour a few years ago. A dealer buddy of mine supplies silver Mexican pesos to a guy who makes guitar picks out of them and ZZ Top is one of his customers.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Girls go crazy over a well dressed man" !

RIP thanks for the great tunes.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2021 6:01PM

Oh man, didn’t know that….did you hear it on the X?

Sorry couldn’t resist, my favorite song from them.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Dusty. Got to see them twice in concert.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZZ Top is the longest lasting band with it's original members. I saw them for the first time just before the pandemic and they were scheduled to be here again in November. I'm shocked and saddened by this news.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Dusty

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

Another thing I was thinking. I hope they don't try to continue with another bass player. That would absolutely ruin the brand.

Many bands and musicians become great by doing something no one else has done and ZZ Top is one of those bands. In the beginning, they took solely blues songs and played them as Rock. There are other examples of this in music.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace

"The band's longtime guitar tech, Elwood Francis, stepped in for Hill.
    "Per Dusty's request, 'The show must go on!" the band had written in a statement.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

My respect to a great rocker. Thank you Rusty for your music.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @MWallace

"The band's longtime guitar tech, Elwood Francis, stepped in for Hill.
    "Per Dusty's request, 'The show must go on!" the band had written in a statement.

If Dusty requested it I can live with it, but it just won't be the same. I've seen many bands over the past decade that I saw in the 1970's that now have only one original member. The music is still good, but it's just not 1972 anymore. A couple of examples that come to mind that only have 1 original member is Marshall Tucker Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

• Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

R.I.P. Dusty

figglehorn
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such sad news.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

No no Elwood is the real deal. He can do the job and more. Slide guitar also.

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:
    "Girls go crazy over a well dressed man" !

RIP thanks for the great tunes.

LOL! Post of the day

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mesmerized by the blues sounds on the Tres Hombres album. Later attended the Tejas tour at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. Eliminator album was huge and saw them at the Summit in Houston. At a smaller venue in Chattanooga a few years ago, they performed their biggest hits. My wife and I watched the three board three separate tour buses headed to the next gig. Rest In peace Dusty, ‘cause you rocked our world while you were here, and I thank you.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2021 8:19PM

I though it was “Every girl is crazy about a sharp dressed man”

Great band

Martin

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:
    I though it was “Every girl is crazy about a sharp dressed man”

‘Cause every girl crazy ‘bout a sharp dressed man.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mentioned this in the Sports Forum. ZZ Top in their current 3 man configuration were together since 1969. They were the longest tenured band in rock.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dusty was bad
    He was nationwide

I could put up with the MTV string as long as they eventually got back to the source.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2021 8:37PM

@tokenpro said:
    Dusty was bad
    He was nationwide

I could put up with the MTV string as long as they eventually got back to the source.

This one set me back 10 years. Had a hard time getting over it. Paula Abdul choreographed it

Watch at your own risk

Velcro Fly

https://youtu.be/F89McWFENTs

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen ZZ Top around 10 times over about 30 years. Enjoyed every show! I never understood how Billy, Dusty, and Frank could create such amazing music with only a 3-piece band. Still don’t understand. Never will. These guys were the ‘essence of cool’.

RIP Dusty

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was fortunate to have seen them in the early 80s... excellent show! RIP Dusty...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great band - sorry to hear the news about Dusty.
    As has been mentioned in other threads, Billy was reputed to attend Long Beach on occasion.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Oh man, didn’t know that….did you hear it on the X?

Sorry couldn’t resist, my favorite song from them.

https://youtu.be/tTHV4yYg3r8

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Dusty Love your music.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sucks! RIP Dusty!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP :'(

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzkzU4iw8kKippX27

• Options

Zz is number one. Zep Who Van Halen some other bands with 3players who sound like 6 I know about the singers. Zz #1

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite bands, they actually played at our Xmas party almost a decade ago! Amazing that their sound was from only 3 band members; if you closed your eyes, it sounded at least double that. And "Velcro Fly" (posted above) is a very guilty pleasure, done with their usual sense of humor.

Oh, and a coin from the year ZZ Top was formed.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dusty Hill on his Fender Custom Shop Signature Precision Bass
    https://youtu.be/3ecw2d1BlIg

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Truly a sad day in the lone star state. RIP Dusty

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file