Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Coin Coinstar find...What's the right thing to do?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it’s our job to rescue collectable coins from getting destroyed by further abuse in terms of getting banged around going through coin counters, washing machines, getting thrown on the ground etc. from people who just don’t care about them.

Now we can soak gunk off of them with acetone, put them into protective coin holders and store them in ways that prevent environmental damage. Keeping them in the best condition possible for future generations. We’re like their custodians. 🤔

Mr_Spud

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it; It's my lucky day and the owner's tough luck

If I get something on Ebay for well under market value do I assume the seller stole it?

Just wondering wherever all this leads to... :*

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if it were stolen it would not have been the only highly collectible coin in the reject bin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 3:36PM

The issue was already raised by someone else, but if this is your position that the rejected gold was stolen then why not assume that all accepted coins were stolen as well? Why not impound every Coinstar machine?

Four words- Logic and common sense. If they open up a machine and find all kinds of old coins in it, that should be a red flag. No one here is taking the position that all old coins found this way are hot... but some could be. If you were the victim would you just say "Oh well"?

Aside to ms70... a $2.50 gold would hide well in a batch of cents. The machine would eat the copper and reject the gold.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

What about a boatload of proof coins? Theft, or disillusioned collector? Is it your (or Coinstar's) job to figure it out?

Anyone cracking open a gold or silver coin collection would usually understand that they were worth more than face value. I'd expect them to show up at a coin or pawn shop.

And once again...where do you draw the line? One silver dime in the reject slot? Five? A mix of quarters and dimes?

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Give it to store personnel to try to determine ownership

depends on surroundings. If you live in a large city, you keep the coin. In a large city, you barely make eye contact with anyone in the grocery store. If you live in a smaller city, you work with the store on trying to id the owner. Small circle, easier to find the owner and probably someone you know. Plus you have to live with this person over the long run.

• Options
    Robot1010Robot1010 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 5:36AM

Secure and insure your valuables

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only would I keep it I would post it here and get it slabbed regardless of condition

• Options

Found this bi-metal at family dollar today. Should I have alerted the manager?

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 6:08PM

I gave a diamond engagement ring back which I found at a Doctors office... But this is different.

Its your lucky day id say keep it!

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

My brother found a Mexican 2 1/2 peso gold coin along with some other common Mexican circulating coinage in the CoinStar reject bin, once. He brought them to me. I asked him where he got the coins from. They were rejects from the coins he was dumping in the CoinStar. He didn't know gold coins even existed. Plus, he thought the CoinStar would take any coins. I do mean, any coins. I told him, No, the CoinStar only takes U.S. coins.

Where did he get the gold coin and why was it in the change jar? It was in my other brother's change jar. He had lived in Mexico and got it from a customer. I called him and told him our brother almost lost his gold coin to the CoinStar. He then tells me he had two gold coins in that change jar. My brother had only given me the one gold coin and the other common Mexican coinage from the reject chute. I don't know if the CoinStar ate the other gold coin or what may have happened to it. Anyway, I ended up with the one gold coin and it currently resides in a 2x2 and safe.

That's how I ended up with a gold coin from a CoinStar reject slot. Just because we know about coins, doesn't mean the other 95% of the population does too. I don't go around checking CoinStar reject chutes. Maybe another thread could be on the techniques used to swipe loose change from the CoinStar reject slot. Is it a grab and dash? Maybe the loitering technique? Do you scope out the machine before you pounce? What is the lead up before the hand goes in?

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else (please explain)

Keep it, there is a reason why it was in the return slot.
    Keeps the world in balance.

Only other option was IF you could somehow track down the person who dropped off the change (highly unlikely) ask them what else they have to get rid of making a small score into a potential large score.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nags said:
    For those that would just keep it... If you grabbed lunch at a coin show and dropped or forgot a double eagle in a 2x2 you'd be cool with whoever found it to just toss it in their pocket and call it their lucky day?

One day I had about $40 cash that was given as change loose with me while I was driving. I set it next to me on the seat because I didn't want to stuff it in my wallet while driving... figured I'd do that when I stopped. I must have forgotten about it and when i stepped out of the vehicle it must have fallen out of the car. Once I realized what I had done, I returned to the location. It was long gone... I drove home and chalked it up to my own stupidity.

What exactly would you have expected the lucky soul to do? Sit in the parking lot and wait for me to return?

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 7:07PM

@silverpop said:
    easy

give it to the store manager and let them take it from there

reason is the coin is not mine to start with, and being honest does tend to pay off in the long run

and being honest was what i was taught by my mom and grandmother

I'll add to your response.
    You could give it to the manager and say if the owner isn't located, you would like it returned after the required 30 days...just like if you found a $20/$100 bill on the floor.
    (Make sure it's well documented)

I actually have a GOOD story from 40 years ago.
    My friend working at a grocery store was out collecting the shopping carts, he found a bank bag with $16,000 in cash in the parking lot.
    He turned it in to his manager like a good employee to put it in the lost and found.
    After revealing the contents to the manager, the manager put it in the store safe to hold for the required 30 days.

On the 30th day my friend worked at night.
    The manager came up to him and claimed some lady came in that afternoon before his shift and claimed the money bag.
    NO thank you, NO name, NO nothing.
    YUP
    We all know that's what happens in the real world.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 7:08PM

It’s definitely possible the person who dumped the change into the coin star realized their error and thought the coin star ate the coin and counted it as something else. They might also think it got rejected but then realize their mistake of not taking the rejects. So for them to expect it to be returned is not likely. I think they would be shocked and very lucky if somehow it did get returned AND they were looking for it.

Most likely case is the person didn’t even know they had it or didn’t realize it was gold.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robot1010 said:

According to some here... Si senor!

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if the CoinStar folks roll their coins and you find a $21/2 gold piece in a dime roll do you get to keep it or return it to them?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 7:44PM

@mark_dak said:

@Robot1010 said:

Hey-that's gold!

Isn't it?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

@mark_dak said:

@Robot1010 said:

Hey-that's gold!

Isn't it?

No. Current exchange value- 5 cents.

• Options
    WhitWhit Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

Hmm... I just posted a "Keep It" vote, but upon reflection, I don't think I could do that. The best option for me would be to take it and report it to police. That way I could sleep at night. I did just that on a non-numismatic occasion. Saw a Stihl chainsaw by the side of the road one day several years ago when I was driving to work. It was a professional saw, Magnum 460 or 480, I think, having fallen off some contractor's truck. I threw it in the trunk and called the local police later that afternoon. No one ever claimed it, so I still have it.

Whit.

Whit
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting ethical discussion. Lots of thought provoking responses. Personally, I would do the same thing as I would do if I found a wallet (with no ID) and $500 cash in it: turn it in to the police. If someone lost or had stolen from them something of value presumably they would file a police report. In this case there is a fair chance owner and coin would be reunited,

• Options
    edited July 27, 2021 5:44AM

Interesting what would you do discussion

• Options

No money needed or accepted at the pearly gates

• Options

I

@Whit said:
    Hmm... I just posted a "Keep It" vote, but upon reflection, I don't think I could do that. The best option for me would be to take it and report it to police. That way I could sleep at night. I did just that on a non-numismatic occasion. Saw a Stihl chainsaw by the side of the road one day several years ago when I was driving to work. It was a professional saw, Magnum 460 or 480, I think, having fallen off some contractor's truck. I threw it in the trunk and called the local police later that afternoon. No one ever claimed it, so I still have it.

Whit.

“Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else is looking “. Glad to see some folks like you have it…and I’m honestly a bit sad to see that some apparently either think it’s a joke or place a price range on theirs.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

This type of question is what a priest asks their congregation before a lecture on morality. I believe the original poster's intention was to steer a conversation into ethics. I came here for coins so I'm going to call it numismatic masturbation since it has nothing to do with the study of coins.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    I

@Whit said:

Whit.

“Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else is looking “. Glad to see some folks like you have it…and I’m honestly a bit sad to see that some apparently either think it’s a joke or place a price range on theirs.

You may want to read the comments again to appreciate the irony of that statement.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    I

@Whit said:

Whit.

I’m a bit sad that you’re using this thread as a basis for passing judgment on people.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

@Treashunt said:
    There is zero chance of finding the correct/original owner.

They don't know what they gave away.

Your stance assumes that the person dumping the coins was the lawful owner.

And if he/they weren't the lawful owner, how would you be able to return it?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@telephoto1 said:

@Treashunt said:

Your stance assumes that the person dumping the coins was the lawful owner.

How would you ever find the lawful owner? Dust it for finger prints?

yes, as I said, zero chance of finding the original owner

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

And Frank you are once again 100% correct. Having run grocery store and dealing with coin star ,as well other companies there is no way ,unless you view the stores secuty tapes and at that do you have any idea how much use these machines get?
    For those who never seen the guts of a coin counter, basically two huge plastic boxes that are on dollies. When they open the machine there are coins everywhere! In those boxes ,on the floor ,under the machine. The machines are set to kick out anything but US coins,any damage or bent are kicked out.
    Whats crazy is durring the rejection it may cause sometimes for other coins to follow.
    So basically if you ever thought of being able to go through the coins in the machine....you be wasting your time. Unless you wanted modern change. Gold ,silver, world coins will automatically kick it out.

yup, and as I mentioned, if you check the security tapes, who do you know which of the dozens of users put that particular coin in the machine, plus...

How do you know if it was stolen, etc.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@telephoto1 said:
    I

@Whit said:

Whit.

In your original post you said you were just "popping in to play devil's advocate" but that's not what you are doing at all. Now you are just impugning posters' integrity.

I have seen no signs of corrupt integrity in replies to the thread. I see lots of realistic responses. No one has indicated that they would deny the original owner their gold coin if the original owner was known.

It is all about the futility of turning the find over to someone else so that person can ultimately profit. The example of the $16,000 turned over to a store's lost and found is the perfect example. Some unidentified person miraculously showed up by the end of the 30 days to claim the money. Now could it be that someone familiar with the lost money had a friend claim the money? ;)

Virtue Signaling might make you feel superior, but that's about all it does.

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread sort of parallels the news story of the woman who purchased the winning lottery ticket ,left the ticket in her jeans and washed the jeans!
    The ticket destroyed, and even with store tapes ,she didn't have the winning lottery ticket...no ticket no prize!
    I am an honest person, im my years working retail on several occasions in my career, I had things happen the involved loss of valuable items.
    One in particular was a womans engagement ring, her 3 ct. Diamond that she just recieved fell out.
    Rewalking her steps throughout the store, on a pile of greens in the produce dept. The stone sat at 3 ct. It lite up like a beacon.
    However we all knew that her story was legitimate and the stone hers. However what if a customer needing spinach found the stone?
    This thread is a judgment call.....so many variables that unless all the evidence was present there is no correct answer.
    Yes there have been many times and stories of valuable items gone missing found and returned.
    However they were returned to a person that without a doupt was or is the rightful owner.
    Finding $300 cash on the street in 3 $100 bills, are you going to pick it up and ask all around who lost $300?
    Each situation differs and to attach any stigmas on anyones reply is just wrong!
    Karma is real !!!!
    Each of us see's things differently, however finding coins in a rejection slot in a manchine could be considered taking money from the coin star company...after all the machine is their's as well all items in the machine by law.

I have always done my best over the years to return the item to its rightful owner, but sometimes that isn't possible.
    And to pass any judgements on how another handles a situation as such is just wrong!
    After all we all are humans subject to making mistakes and bad judgements.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said: After all we all are humans subject to making mistakes and bad judgements.

Reminds me of the story my Grandma Faye told me years ago. She owned a beauty salon in Houston (70's) and I have fond memories of going there as a youngster and getting a coke for a nickel. Anyway, as the story goes and they noticed through the front window a hearse pulled up into the parking lot one day while she was doing a customers hair. And for whatever reason the casket was open and the upper half of the body exposed. Her and her customer where a little freaked out by this but they carried on. A short time later they noticed the head moving and eyes opening. I'm sure at that point they about hit the floor. Turns out the guy was in a coma and just happen to come back after being presumed dead.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

No brainer....just keep it.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    In a grocery store setting I would probably keep it, honestly. Ownership will be next to impossible to prove. I could see myself posting on Next Door and see if anyone in my area could identify it. Maybe I’m cynical but turning it over to the store would likely cause it to end up in the pocket of whoever I gave it to.

Now, if it was a bank I would turn it over to the bank manager as it’s more likely to be a bank member than a random person.

Why would that be? A Coinstar machine in a bank lobby is accessible to the public at large. Bank employees use the bank's counting machines.

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    I dunno. But what if someone stole my giant bottle of change I have in my house and dumped it in a Coinstar machine and the machine didn’t reject any of them. Does Coinstar then own the coins? Can Coinstar be prosecuted for not tracking down the rightful owner?

A couple of years back I found a zip up money holder like what businesses use on the ground at a Renaissance Festival. It was stuffed full of bills of every denomination. I turned it in to someone running one of the booths. It’s obvious that someone dropped it accidentally and they would be needing it to stay in business.

But when I walk down the street and I see a bunch of cents thrown on the ground in front of various businesses I don’t feel the need to pick them up and turn them in to the business. I assume that the owner doesn’t care enough about the cents to even bother putting them in their pocket when they receive them in change. To me, Coinstar rejects are like the coins in the street, the person who put it in the Coinstar didn’t care enough about them to take them. Same if I find silver in a roll of coins at a bank. Am I required to return them to the former owner that didn’t know they were worth more than face value?

Technically Coinstar [or whoever owns the machine/s] owns the coins because they "bought" them from you for face value by exchanging paper money or equivalent for them.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

'Round these parts, one is legally required to notify the county clerk of found property and post a notice of the find in the paper once a week for two weeks. After three months, if nobody claims it, it's yours.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@TurtleCat said:
    In a grocery store setting I would probably keep it, honestly. Ownership will be next to impossible to prove. I could see myself posting on Next Door and see if anyone in my area could identify it. Maybe I’m cynical but turning it over to the store would likely cause it to end up in the pocket of whoever I gave it to.

Now, if it was a bank I would turn it over to the bank manager as it’s more likely to be a bank member than a random person.

Why would that be? A Coinstar machine in a bank lobby is accessible to the public at large. Bank employees use the bank's counting machines.

It could be, it’s just less likely to be random than a grocery store. And I would have a bit more faith in the fiduciary trust of a bank manager than a grocery store manager. It may be unfair but that’s how I see it.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 6:58AM

Not even necessarily authentic. Last thing to do is notify store. Very high likelihood someone within store management would keep for themselves. This thread makes me want to head out to the store right now to check the Coinstar slot. All I've ever found is a few foreign coins, mainly Canadian.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@CopperWire said:
    This type of question is what a priest asks their congregation before a lecture on morality. I believe the original poster's intention was to steer a conversation into ethics. I came here for coins so I'm going to call it numismatic masturbation since it has nothing to do with the study of coins.

...yet you chose to participate anyway. Thanks for your input. I think I made the poll as even handed as possible, even including a "something else" option to cover any options I missed.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

Technically Coinstar [or whoever owns the machine/s] owns the coins because they "bought" them from you for face value by exchanging paper money or equivalent for them.

Legally, this is 100% incorrect.

• Options

_** I’m a bit sad that you’re using this thread as a basis for passing judgment on people. **_

Not judging, just simple observation and my opinion based on the responses here.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@Treashunt said:

yes, as I said, zero chance of finding the original owner

What is 100% known is that the finder is not the owner. How are you to know that someone won't come back later in the day in a panic?

That the "owner" may or may not be identifiable should play no part in this question. Whether it is stolen or not also plays no part.

In the same supermarket if a bank envelope with $500 was laying next to the Coinstar, is the analysis the same? I would have thought that 98% of people would turn in the $500 to customer service.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Telephoto1. This is not about coin star it’s about some deep problem that you’re attempting to work out with other people or situations that somehow relate to your problem. Clue. You keep changing sides with the same results. I hope you can find the answer to your questions about honesty and help with why what others do is relevant to your situation.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 7:21AM

Coinstar's return tray is likely seen, from a legal perspective, as trash. Owner abandoned the property. Keep it. Congrats on the find.

I wouldn't trust a bunch of grocery store employees to find the original owner anyway, at least not around here. The average store probably has 500 customers a day minimum. Hell if I managed the grocery store, I'd sell it and buy the store pizza for lunch one day.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@nags said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

So if you go to a store and buy something for $1 and give the clerk 4 quarters are you saying that those are still your quarters after you leave the store? I don't think so.

If you deposit a bunch of loose change in a bank account are those coins still yours after you leave the bank?

• Options
    edited July 27, 2021 7:24AM

@nags said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

So who owns the coins in the machine after you walk away from the machine? At what point does your ownership cease?

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@nags said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

So if you go to a store and buy something for $1 and give the clerk 4 quarters are you saying that those are still your quarters after you leave the store? I don't think so.

If you deposit a bunch of loose change in a bank account are those coins still yours after you leave the bank?

I'm saying, that if property is stolen, and subsequently sold, the property still belongs to the original owner. What happens when a coin shop or pawn shop buys a stolen coin? The stolen property is returned to the owner and the buyer has a claim for restitution against the wrongdoer.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it and sleep well that night.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

Back when my daughter was a teller an older gent gave her a bag of silver coins [dimes I believe they were]. She ran them thru the counter and they got mixed in with all of the other dimes. After she got done he said , now I want them all back so several employees had to hand sort out his dimes from the others. I would have made him buy the "others" and he could go home and sort them himself.

This discussion has been closed.