Home Sports Talk
Options

Anyone here seen Greenland?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it worth my time, more importantly, is it worth my coin?!

Comments

• Options

Greenland is supposed to be about a Earth ending comet that hits the planet, I haven't seen it yet, I'm thinking about streaming it.

• Options

Geostorm is another movie I haven't seen yet.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw Greenland and thought it was a pretty good movie.

• Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

ZZZZZ

Some interesting special effects. Interesting premise, but inconsistent story that decides to get bogged down in trope we've-seen-it-all-before "sentimentality" and "OMG-Will-they-make-it" "suspense". You can basically see the main parts on TikTok. It's also on demand on on HBO if you have access to HBO on demand.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2021 2:13PM

I've seen Greenland and it was alright,not something that I'd pay for at a theater but I guess its alright for $2-3 online. Haven't seen Geostorm yet. One Gerard Butler movie that I would recommend is Den Of Thieves,here's the trailer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKd_ks0rdAM

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife and daughter both watched Greenland and liked it.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I've seen Greenland and it was alright,not something that I'd pay for at a theater but I guess its alright for $2-3 online. Haven't seen Geostorm yet. One Gerard Butler movie that I would recommend is Den Of Thieves,here's the trailer.

I'm definitely going to have to see Den of Thieves, that looks like my kind of movie!

• Options

I will probably stream Greenland as well, it has me curious, who can resist a doomsday scenario!

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have seen Deep Impact and 2012, then you have already seen Greenland.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2021 3:33PM

W> @doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

I'm definitely going to have to see Den of Thieves, that looks like my kind of movie!

If you have an Amazon Firestick, I watched it recently for free on either the Tubi or IMDB app. Each app has a ton of free content. It also might be on Netflix too.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    W> @doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

If you have an Amazon Firestick, I watched it recently for free on either the Tubi or IMDB app. Each app has a ton of free content. It also might be on Netflix too.

I usually go through Netflix, but I'm thinking about signing up for Amazon Prime, they're supposed to be streaming TNF this season also. If I'm going to be watching movies, I might as well get TNF this season! ;)

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked it. It started out good and I was hoping for something 'new' but it basically goes into your typical 'lost again found again' adventure...but still entertaining. I was hoping it was not formulatic, but it is. Pretty much like all the other end of world movies.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Law Abiding Citizen" was a great Gerard Butler movie!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I must say, I am disappointed in the ending to this movie, I was expecting to see a massive collision and pure destruction as it happened at the end, but they go into the underground shelter and it goes black and then it shows the after effects of the cities in ruins, and then they open the shelter doors and a bird flies by! I was very disappointed, I wanted to see that puppy hit and all hell break loose! I'm very disappointed in the ending!

• Options

I also wanted to see the asteroid strike Earth in the movie "Armageddon" but instead they saved the world. Garbage!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

excuse me, but that "Den of Thieves" trailer reminded me of a repackaged "Heat" that probably isn't anywhere near as good.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geostorm was blah. Decent watch but I wouldn’t worry about losing sleep over it. Much like Day after tomorrow.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever notice when one studio gets an idea another studio copies it and they both come out at the same time?

Wyatt Earp and Tombstone

Sudden Impact and Armageddon

Many more.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2021 10:03AM

2dueces, it's because like in real life, original ideas in Hollywood have run dry. take a look at all the "remakes" that come along, recycled ideas of movies from the 40's, 50's 60's and even more recent. a friend of mine recently gave me a duplicate of "3:10 to Yuma" with Russell Crowe, highly recommending it. I succumbed, watched it and was understandably disappointed as it was a poor remake of the original. good movies are still released but they are few and far between. take the aforementioned Mr. Crowe and consider "Master and Commander" for an original idea, drawn from Novels and based on factual events. brilliant and easy to watch.

the World, and what we see on the big and small screens, will be greatly diminished when Clint Eastwood passes on. the same can be said for Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg, etc, etc. younger men and women will come along to carry the torch, it can only be hoped that they don't get trapped by special effects and computer generated illusions. the formula is simple: write or find a compelling story, use people who can act and let them do so, use the stunning scenery that is all around the World and allow it to amaze us all.

John Ford was once asked a question about directing and he said something like the following: "When know if the horizon belongs at the top or bottom of the screen, you'll know how to direct."

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Ever notice when one studio gets an idea another studio copies it and they both come out at the same time?

Wyatt Earp and Tombstone

Sudden Impact and Armageddon

Many more.

Paul Blatt: Mall Cop and Observe & Report. Two mall cop movies that were released months apart.

• Options

@keets said:
    excuse me, but that "Den of Thieves" trailer reminded me of a repackaged "Heat" that probably isn't anywhere near as good.

I honestly wasn’t that big of a Heat fan even though it had two of my favorite actors in De Niro & Pacino. I’d say that movie was more about the interaction between their two characters where DoT is more about the action scenes but they both played on the “rob a Brinx truck/large cash grab” storyline.
    Here are other similar movies:
    Armored with Matt Dillon & Laurence Fishburne
    Takers with Idris Elba,Paul Walker & Matt Dillon
    And also just released in the past few months,Wraith of Man, with Jason Stratham. I just watched this online last week.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I must say, I am disappointed in the ending to this movie, I was expecting to see a massive collision and pure destruction as it happened at the end, but they go into the underground shelter and it goes black and then it shows the after effects of the cities in ruins, and then they open the shelter doors and a bird flies by! I was very disappointed, I wanted to see that puppy hit and all hell break loose! I'm very disappointed in the ending!

It started out with promise. I like the scene in the house at the birthday party when it popped onto the TV screen that their family was selected for relocation. It was right in front of the other families at the birthday party, and the other families there were checking their phones and waiting for their 'selection' message which never came. Then when they were driving off, their friend was begging them to take their daughter with them to save, creating a dilemma. I would have liked to see the focus more on that aspect of the movie, with just a little bit of adventure mixed in. Instead, it simply went the path of the formula adventure with pitfalls and setbacks that were always overcome, ridiculous near misses with asteroids flying all around in what would normally be certain death, etc...

The wife was cute though :).

• Options
    edited July 21, 2021 9:52AM

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@doubledragon said:

It started out with promise. I like the scene in the house at the birthday party when it popped onto the TV screen that their family was selected for relocation. It was right in front of the other families at the birthday party, and the other families there were checking their phones and waiting for their 'selection' message which never came. Then when they were driving off, their friend was begging them to take their daughter with them to save, creating a dilemma. I would have liked to see the focus more on that aspect of the movie, with just a little bit of adventure mixed in. Instead, it simply went the path of the formula adventure with pitfalls and setbacks that were always overcome, ridiculous near misses with asteroids flying all around in what would normally be certain death, etc...

The wife was cute though :).

It's amazing how they always seem to escape certain death by inches, like when they crash landed in Greenland and the pilots were killed but they survive,
    and then they make it to the bunker right when the comet is about to strike, it actually flies right over their head and the doors are in the process of closing and they manage to make it in just in time.

• Options

I watched Geostorm last night, and it wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be more about weather related disasters, but it turned into a conspiracy type whodunit movie, with them trying to figure out who was behind a plot to use dutchboy as a weapon. It was entertaining, but I was hoping for more weather disasters.

• Options

My question is, what would life be like after an asteroid that size hit Earth, the place would be reduced to basically rubble and ash. There would be nothing to do, no NFL football, no CU Sports talk forum, no movies to watch, what am I going to do!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    My question is, what would life be like after an asteroid that size hit Earth, the place would be reduced to basically rubble and ash. There would be nothing to do, no NFL football, no CU Sports talk forum, no movies to watch, what am I going to do!

You could probably travel the country and build a pretty good card collection. While the other survivors are hoarding food, water, and guns....you can go after the Wagner's and Ruth's :)

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I also wanted to see the asteroid strike Earth in the movie "Armageddon" but instead they saved the world. Garbage!

Too many happy endings in Hollywood. One of the reasons why Game of Thrones was so popular was that there wasn't any plot armor for most of the characters...until the last season or two when they survived some ridiculous scenarios fighting the army of the dead when they were trapped and when almost their own entire force was killed....except for the seven or so main characters lol.

I could still watch Armageddon over and over on a sleepy Saturday afternoon.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

You could probably travel the country and build a pretty good card collection. While the other survivors are hoarding food, water, and guns....you can go after the Wagner's and Ruth's :)

That's not a bad idea. 🤔

• Options
    edited July 21, 2021 11:46AM

@doubledragon said:

LoL I’ve actually thought about this before. One time while watching the Walking Dead, thinking to myself would I still enjoy cards if there was a Zombie apocalypse and how crazy would I be for actually looking for cards while scavenging for food? I mean depending on how close you are, wouldn’t going to PSA be near the top of the list? Then maybe head on over to BBCE to open some pack. ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

LoL I’ve actually thought about this before. One time while watching the Walking Dead, thinking to myself would I still enjoy cards if there was a Zombie apocalypse and how crazy would I be for actually looking for cards while scavenging for food? I mean depending on how close you are, wouldn’t going to PSA be near the top of the list? Then maybe head on over to BBCE to open some pack. ;)

Perfect idea.

In a end of life as we know it scenario, there are protocols to save works of art to preserve parts of our culture. There should be some baseball cards in those bunkers too.

I would scavenge for baseball cards in an end of society scenario. It may save my mind.

• Options
    edited July 21, 2021 2:12PM

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

That's not a bad idea. 🤔

Looks like Greenland 2 is in production:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2568957/greenland-2-quick-things-we-know-about-gerard-butlers-greenland-migration

PS Morena Baccarin was delicious in Deadpool as well.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

That's not a bad idea. 🤔

Looks like Greenland 2 is in production:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2568957/greenland-2-quick-things-we-know-about-gerard-butlers-greenland-migration

PS Morena Baccarin was delicious in Deadpool as well.

I was actually wondering if they were going to do a sequel to the first one, it should be interesting to see what life will be like after the comet strike, it's going to be chaotic. I've watched a lot of documentaries about asteroids and what life would be like trying to rebuild and start from scratch, it should be very interesting and chaotic.