Home Q & A Forum
Options

Are these Luster breaks on my Mercury Dime?

RubiconRubicon Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2021 11:49AM in Q & A Forum

Are the shiny polished areas by the L and Y in Liberty considered breaks in the satiny luster or contact marks. Please give me your best opinion. Thanks

Best Answer

• Options
    edited June 22, 2021 9:16PM Answer ✓

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Rubicon said:
    Lance if it was pmd wouldn’t it probably show on the high points such as the cheek or hair.etc.!

nah. pmd can be anywhere, inconsistent and confusing at times. it means post-mind damaged and literally anything can cause it. it just means something that has contacted/affected the coin after it has left the mint. a nail, dropping the coin, cleaning it, staple scratch etc etc etc.

the new images suggest it is probably from the mint. die polish or contact from other coins.

Okay thanks for your best guess as to it’s cause. Hope it was die polish and not coin to coin regular contact

Answers

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rubicon said:
    Are the shiny polished areas by the L and Y in Liberty considered breaks in the satiny luster or contact marks. Please give me your best opinion. Thanks

anything that breaks the luster should be consider a luster break whether it be pmd, contact from other coins or dies at the mint, die polishing, etc.

generally luster breaks are referred to for the difference between a high au to unc that come from cabinet friction, rub, light circ etc.

your coin has most likely contact marks of some sort. images are a little fuzzy. you may see flashy metal around the devices on merc as well from severe die polishing. die polishing tends to give more of a prooflike appearance than restoring luster-giving properties to the die.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Rubicon said:

anything that breaks the luster should be consider a luster break whether it be pmd, contact from other coins or dies at the mint, die polishing, etc.

generally luster breaks are referred to for the difference between a high au to unc that come from cabinet friction, rub, light circ etc.

your coin has most likely contact marks of some sort. images are a little fuzzy. you may see flashy metal around the devices on merc as well from severe die polishing. die polishing tends to give more of a prooflike appearance than restoring luster-giving properties to the die.

Thanks for your response. If this occurred at the mint from die polishing would it lower the grade the same as if it were contact marks from coin contact in a roll. Luster is off the charts giving me the impression it is from an original roll as the seller had a few dimes of the same dates blazing look and all ms65 or 66

• Options

@Rubicon said:
    Thanks for your response. If this occurred at the mint from die polishing would it lower the grade the same as if it were contact marks from coin contact in a roll. Luster is off the charts giving me the impression it is from an original roll as the seller had a few dimes of the same dates blazing look and all ms65 or 66

the grade shouldn't be affected the same from mint polishing as pmd but even though pcgs address is in california, i'm pretty sure they actually grade coins in the bermuda triangle, so there is that.

the images are just not sharp enough for me to determine if it is die polish or pmd.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited June 22, 2021 7:16PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Rubicon said:

the grade shouldn't be affected the same from mint polishing as pmd but even though pcgs address is in california, i'm pretty sure they actually grade coins in the bermuda triangle, so there is that.

the images are just not sharp enough for me to determine if it is die polish or pmd. Maybe these pictures can help

Lance if it was pmd wouldn’t it probably show on the high points such as the cheek or hair.etc.!

• Options

@Rubicon said:

nah. pmd can be anywhere, inconsistent and confusing at times. it means post-mind damaged and literally anything can cause it. it just means something that has contacted/affected the coin after it has left the mint. a nail, dropping the coin, cleaning it, staple scratch etc etc etc.

the new images suggest it is probably from the mint. die polish or contact from other coins.