Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Showing my India $10 Rupees currency - bad picture*

luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2021 8:20AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Forgot that I had these. I love the low serial numbers. Hopefully I can get these graded or should I not save leave it as is?

EDIT:. Added a better!!

Comments

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

I like low # too.

"Hopefully I can get these graded or should I not save leave it as is?"

Getting them graded will put you back about $25 each (just for starters, not including membership fees, shipping & insurance) so you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the costs. I know that personally, if I were to get a batch graded than the notes should be Choice UNC to Gem UNC or it's not worth my money. When I see TPG notes with no "Q" I always pass them by.

I would be checking each note against a light box & searching for any (& the slightest) issue. I have bought quite a few low # & solids described as UNC (by the sellers) & on close inspection some have fallen short (might be AU so they won't be graded). Fortunately, most haven't been pressed but I'll see the odd one with an indent or a tiny bit of foxing. Only my best of the bunch may go in, but I will want to do a bulk grading to bring costs down. I've got a box of these that I still haven't bit the bullet to send in since I know it's going to be pricey.

• luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, thanks for the info and suggestions. I might not even do it now and just put it away and forget about it for another 5-10 years (that's how long I stored these away and forgot that I had them) lol.

• luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭

EDIT: better picture posted!

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Serial number 1 US notes go for huge money and def worth gradng, not sure of foreign.
    These are exceptionally nice quality though....I would get them graded

"Serial number 1 US notes go for huge money and def worth gradng"

& rightly so as your notes are printed in the 100,000,000 whereas most countries print 10 or 1,000,000 per prefix/series.

• CDN, UK & Commonwealth nations do fairly well but not nearly as high as USD. CDN has 7 digits British Pound has 6 (with a crazy large # of series prefixes). So they're different SN systems (different odds of snagging a special #). Then, as you get into Asia, interest can pretty much fizzle. Even some solid radars are 1/20 the price of solids here (in Canada). US collectors drive the CDN & world paper money market so....
  • @Serial_no_8 said:
    "Serial number 1 US notes go for huge money and def worth gradng"

& rightly so as your notes are printed in the 100,000,000 whereas most countries print 10 or 1,000,000 per prefix/series.

• CDN, UK & Commonwealth nations do fairly well but not nearly as high as USD. CDN has 7 digits British Pound has 6 (with a crazy large # of series prefixes). So they're different SN systems (different odds of snagging a special #). Then, as you get into Asia, interest can pretty much fizzle. Even some solid radars are 1/20 the price of solids here (in Canada). US collectors drive the CDN & world paper money market so....

I've always wondered to what extent the prices of foreign notes are driven by collectors native to the countries collected...

"I've always wondered to what extent the prices of foreign notes are driven by collectors native to the countries collected..."

• I've been informed by a few dealers (& other experts) that collectors from each nation dwarf the # of collectors from the US. I have many reasons to believe this to be true: especially in light of how expensive CDN banknotes have become. There was a time when that was all I bought but those days are long gone since a lot of the older notes I want are priced out of reach & super tough to get at auction. So, yeah, US collectors drive the market (more so than most people from other countries).
    • There will be many exceptions to this rule (of course) including: China, India & Bangladesh. When I first got interested in World Currency, I noticed that the BV of notes from these 3 countries alone were several multiples higher than what I found the SCWPM would show. I believe this is due to the large number of immigrants from these countries who are now living in the US, UK or US bid on these driving prices way up.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would an "01A" or "01G" prefix make these low numbered notes worth more?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

@sellitstore said:
    Would an "01A" or "01G" prefix make these low numbered notes worth more?

Hard to say. Do you see the white letter **L **behind the serial number? It means this is the 2nd series or P-89b. P-89a has no "L" in the design and it may be "01A" prefix but I cannot say for certain (as I just don't know). For some collectors, this matters (& be worth a premium), for others, not so much. Often it is the dealers who put a lot of hype into the first prefix. For some countries (like Canada) it is completely irrelevant. In fact, last prefixes are generally short & tougher to acquire than first prefixes. With these 6 numeral & large alpha-numeric prefixes (like GB notes) it could be significant.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Indian Rupees the Reserve Bank of India seems to set aside low S/N and interest S/N for collectors, but the paradox is that really only applies for collectors in India as the government there officially frowns on the export of their currency. Of course that doesn't stop collectors like me that know collectors in India...

Where there's a will, there is a way.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • @SaorAlba said:
    With Indian Rupees the Reserve Bank of India seems to set aside low S/N and interest S/N for collectors, but the paradox is that really only applies for collectors in India as the government there officially frowns on the export of their currency. Of course that doesn't stop collectors like me that know collectors in India...

Where there's a will, there is a way.

Which notes are seen in everyday use in India? Do people use the one-rupee notes?

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FightingIllini1982 said:

Which notes are seen in everyday use in India? Do people use the one-rupee notes?

1 and 2 rupees are coins only.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21