Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Recent harsh grading-Options

2»

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I was wondering if it was showing an alteration (something restored in some way) rather than a wrinkle but the video was not clear."

Well the only info he did give on the matter was that "Card looks like a 7 but after viewing it here it is most likely a 4" Meaning they would grade it a 4 because of a crease. And will get a grade. If it was altered I think he would have said its a 0 or Auth.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    "I was wondering if it was showing an alteration (something restored in some way) rather than a wrinkle but the video was not clear."

Well the only info he did give on the matter was that "Card looks like a 7 but after viewing it here it is most likely a 4" Meaning they would grade it a 4 because of a crease. And will get a grade. If it was altered I think he would have said its a 0 or Auth.

Agree he did seem to say it would move to a numerical grade.

• Options

Ultra modern seems to be grading more harsh as well. I submitted 18 cards back in October that I pulled from wax myself and put straight into top loaders. Finally popped - (4) 10s, (14) 9s.

They should be arriving today or tomorrow, I'll take a look and see if I missed anything, but I was expecting more than half 10s like my previous similar submittals.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yahred said:
    Ultra modern seems to be grading more harsh as well. I submitted 18 cards back in October that I pulled from wax myself and put straight into top loaders. Finally popped - (4) 10s, (14) 9s.

They should be arriving today or tomorrow, I'll take a look and see if I missed anything, but I was expecting more than half 10s like my previous similar submittals.

straight from wax > straight to cs1 > straight to psa ≠ automatic psa 10s

i agree that theyve been much harder lately though.

• Options

I didn't read through all the replies. My .02 cents is this: The scary truth is that for PSA to be able to protect it's brand, it's value, and the card grading industry as a whole, then they need to protect the value of 9's and 10's. If they remain valuable, people will keep submitting hoping for that golden ticket. If they were to methodically increase the population of 9's and 10's, then the value of said cards goes down and submissions go down, etc.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 12:17PM

Just wait when the flood of graded cards flows in regardless of grade and watch the real fun begin when the pop report explodes.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is what Brad was referring to in one of his comments about another TPG using a VSC machine. Scroll to 16:07 if someone doesn’t feel like waiting thru the video.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YNOs6Xu80w

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 1:22PM

video spectral comparator. essentially a larger version of what customs scans your passport with. 250x magnification, ink and document analyzers along w a nifty lil scanner.

“only on the floor model”

eta: those bare, tan walls in that office would drive me crazy.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I think this is what Brad was referring to in one of his comments about another TPG using a VSC machine. Scroll to 16:07 if someone doesn’t feel like waiting thru the video.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YNOs6Xu80w

This is what I was referencing.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 1:29PM

"It shouldn't be that way. A 9 is a 9 is a 9 whether it's Mickey Klutts, Rickey Henderson or a team card."

Wow, that was a real shot at you from out of nowhere, huh, Mickey?

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@TGwynnCollector said:
    I didn't read through all the replies. My .02 cents is this: The scary truth is that for PSA to be able to protect it's brand, it's value, and the card grading industry as a whole, then they need to protect the value of 9's and 10's. If they remain valuable, people will keep submitting hoping for that golden ticket. If they were to methodically increase the population of 9's and 10's, then the value of said cards goes down and submissions go down, etc.

I agree in principle but what problem is this actually solving? It seems entirely unnecessary to me. PSA needed operational upgrades, not brand protection.

What happens to "the brand" when the new collectors see that there are throngs of recently graded 8s that look better than 10s from just a couple years ago? This strategy will inevitably devalue higher grade cards in older holders!! This strategy could backfire spectacularly. And I say that as a collector who fully expected to be 100% PSA4life.

If I was BGS or SGC, I'd be so aggressively marketing against the inconsistency.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@Yahred said:

It also depends on the product. For example I have not been impressed with the quality of the 2021 Topps Heritage. The centering has been laughable.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@blurryface said:

@Yahred said:

It also depends on the product. For example I have not been impressed with the quality of the 2021 Topps Heritage. The centering has been laughable.

Agreed, cards aren't always flawless right out of the pack. I'm basing my expected 10s percentage on my previous history with similar cards.

These were all Bowman Chromes 2016 or later with good centering. I took another close look when they all came back. I do see an imperfect corner on a few of the 9s. 3 or 4 of the 9s I can't see the problem, but there must be something under magnification.

I'm fine with this if they're going to stick with it.

But I'd like the option to rescind my pending orders now that things appear to have shifted. I have 147 similar cards pending, and I'd probably pull back 100 of them if I knew then what I know now.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2021 6:49AM

We read here every day about how tough grading has been lately...and then I see this on my morning eBay check. Not 60/40, hard to understand how this is a 9...

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Probably a bone that was given to a large submitter. Tough card to get in 9. s/b a 7. IMO

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2021 10:57AM

If except for the centering, which looks to me as about 65/35 overall, the card was a 10 then perhaps that is how it landed at a 9? That said I've seen more appealing 8's. Which brings us back again to "buy the card,not the holder"

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2021 9:31AM
  • Options

The Blue IA is not as far from 60/40 as it appears at a glance. I think it is definitely worse at the bottom of the card (and it should be measured at its worst point).

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

If except for the centering, which looks to me as about 65/35 overall, the card was a 10 then perhaps that is how it landed at a 9? That said I've seen more appealing 8's. Which brings us back again to "buy the card,not the holder"

PSA ‘s official centering requirement for a 9 is “approximately 60/40 to 65/35”. So I guess technically this card meets that requirement. I don’t think a PSA 9 should be 65/35 personally, and I don’t think this card has anywhere near the eye appeal for a 9. I hope that that kind of human eye appeal judgment doesn’t get lost as automated elements of grading start to proliferate.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

those yellow print dots to the right of BLUE on the front combined with the centering alone makes it an 8 at best...most likely there is something else going on which would warrant a PSA 7 grade? The eye appeal is not there for a PSA 9