Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ernie Banks Run Nearly Complete - Rookie Added!

Picked up my Banks rookie - only need the '69 Home Run Leader card to complete the run now!

Very excited to get this card - thank you Monte for helping complete my favorite project.

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice example!! ❤️

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Paul - it has been my #1 wanted card for a long time.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful collection of Banks cards! Glad to help out…

mint_only_pls
  • Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

That is an awesome run of Banks with a beautiful RC! Congrats!

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

need that 71 Greatest Moments in an 8!

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome rookie and Banks run.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Outstanding collection!

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

really high grade cards there. impressive.

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats with the pick up! Impressive card & centering.
    '54 Banks is one of my favorite rookie cards

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible collection. Thanks for sharing.

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Awesome collection!! How has this taken you?

edited June 11, 2021 5:09AM

Thanks for all the positive comments and questions. First card was the 1955 Banks and was bought at the National in 1993. I truly believe it would grade an 8 but have never graded a card. Figure it just makes me spend $ on grading fees instead of on more cards. Started in earnest when I bought the ‘58 All Star and ‘61 Banks in 2014. So took a while. Advice: if you ever start a run - buy the rookie first. It goes up the most. Been really fun to build this. As a kid had hardly any Banks cards because living in Chicago they were always “over book”. Huge Cubs fan so this run means a lot to me.

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

That is an awesome RC. I would have to replace the 2 SGC’s and the ‘61 HR leaders card that is turned the wrong way. The card turned the wrong way would drive me crazy, lol. Just me though. You’re obviously happy and that is all that matters. Wish I had your patience. Awesome collection,

edited June 10, 2021 8:08PM

Thank Elvis. Will never be on the registry because I believe the grades on the ‘58 AS, 59 and ‘61 are accurate. Happy to have the cards. I do hate that PSA does not have continuity on landsacape cards. Would seem like an easy thing to do. My ‘68 AS cards go both directions. Very proud of my Banks run and it is the highlight of my collection.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Thanks for all the positive comments and questions. First card was the 1955 Banks and was bought at the National in 1993. I truly believe it would grade an 8 but have never graded a card. Figure it just makes me spend $ on grading fees instead of on more cards. Started in earnest when I bought the ‘58 All Star and ‘61 Banks in 2014. So took a while. Advice: if you need vet start a run - buy the rookie first. It goes up the most. Been really fun to build this. As a kid had hardly any Banks card because living in Chicago they were always “over book”. Huge Cubs fan so this run means a lot to me.

That was a special time at the 1993 National.

Love it!

@GroceryRackPack said:

@brad31 said:
    Thanks for all the positive comments and questions. First card was the 1955 Banks and was bought at the National in 1993. I truly believe it would grade an 8 but have never graded a card. Figure it just makes me spend $ on grading fees instead of on more cards. Started in earnest when I bought the ‘58 All Star and ‘61 Banks in 2014. So took a while. Advice: if you need vet start a run - buy the rookie first. It goes up the most. Been really fun to build this. As a kid had hardly any Banks card because living in Chicago they were always “over book”. Huge Cubs fan so this run means a lot to me.

That was a special time at the 1993 National.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice run of Banks
    The 54 is on my want list but mu wallet says no

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome collection! I'm actually doing the same thing with Banks! I'm a huge Cub fan myself and have met him a few times before he passed away. He was very very nice and wanted to talk to you like he knew you.

Like you said previously, I happened to buy his rookie first and got that out of the way early. I'm down to needing just the '61 MVP card and a couple of Venezuelans (60, 64, 67). I'm going to consider it complete whenever I find the '61...the Venezuelans don't come up very often, so who knows how long it'll be before I actually get those knocked off the list.

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Fantastic Banks run! Adding this pic just for fun. :)

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! Enjoy seeing all the card designs lined up in the group photo. Love the Power Plus card with Aaron.

Love the OPC back from ‘71. Have a few of those but not Banks.

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

That is a collection. Thanks for sharing Mr. Cub.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:
    Fantastic Banks run! Adding this pic just for fun. :)

No French?

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:

No French?

French backs for series 1-4 only. After that, everyone in Canada had become proficient in 'merican.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:

@daltex said:

No French?

French backs for series 1-4 only. After that, everyone in Canada had become proficient in 'merican.

I see. That also explains the off center picture. I know so little about O-Pee-Chee.

• TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

Beautiful rookie. Congrats. From the Dude

Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

The 71 OPC are so hard to find nice. That one looks great.
    post front if you can.
    I have also met Ernie twice. A true ambassador of the sport and mankind.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:

@daltex said:

No French?

Are the backs for the last two series basically identical to Topps backs except for the “printed in Canada” and color difference?