Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA grading standard update

2»

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 9:31AM

no it's basically a microscope w/ an led screen. it's amazing honestly. they make them as cheap as $50 but i upgraded not too long ago and it can do everything. has a memory card input to snap pics. i basically use a diff memory stick & snap pics for each sub. but the time it saves is bar none. not to mention being soooo much better for your eyes vs a squinting loop or looking thru a larger glass magnification lamp.

eta: and it's much more detailed in person. the pic of it taking a pic certainly doesnt do it justice at all.

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

@blurryface that is very cool, however, I am now wondering if that is not the reason for grades coming back so low? what used to be eyeballed may now be using this type thing and being "nitpicked" for corner touches that are not visible to the naked eye, causing 10's to become 9's and 9's into 8's

@OAKESY25 said:
    @blurryface that is very cool, however, I am now wondering if that is not the reason for grades coming back so low? what used to be eyeballed may now be using this type thing and being "nitpicked" for corner touches that are not visible to the naked eye, causing 10's to become 9's and 9's into 8's

well if they finally started using this type of equip, my guesstimates should still be just as accurate? ;)

for their employee's sake and considering that mountain of cards they are staring at, i certainly hope they are using something like these. if not, they better have a hellavu dental & vision package.

edited May 28, 2021 10:17AM

they better have a hellavu dental & vision package.

well judging by that sgc video, everyone is about 20 yrs old so they have a few years of good eyesight left, and they better keep their teeth away from my cards. lol

• SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭

Has PSA ever stated whether they use magnification during the grading process - and if so how much?

also blurry, how are the pictures that thing takes? I hate scanning although I do have a great scanner for cards, it is just a pain and slow, would love a faster process for great pics.

@SoxPatsFan said:
    Has PSA ever stated whether they use magnification during the grading process - and if so how much?

good question. and w/ the backlog they have, if they arent using something similar, they'd be fools. it's so easy to pass a card thru and get an up-close look in secs. i've actually thought about getting a second one for a different setting for a closer look at the corners. right now i pass an entire stack w/ the setting to get the entire card on screen. weed out the bonks, then zoom in the magnification for close-ups on the corners (as seen in the pic above) and go thru the stack again.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 10:37AM

Boy that is nice. Yes the loop has been killing me for years. I has started threads asking about table clamp magnifying glasses, etc... because I do not need another way.

https://amazon.com/Holulo-Magnifying-Glasses-Magnifier-Jewelers/dp/B082R28ZQ6/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Magnifier+Lamp+Clamp&qid=1622223317&sr=8-4

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@Cakes said:
    Boy that is nice. Yes the loop has been killing me for years. I has started threads asking about table clamp magnifying glasses, etc... because I do not need another way.

it's like air conditioning. once you have it, you'll never go back.

edited May 28, 2021 11:21AM

@OAKESY25 said:
    also blurry, how are the pictures that thing takes? I hate scanning although I do have a great scanner for cards, it is just a pain and slow, would love a faster process for great pics.

they are decent. but there's no crop feature and then you have to transfer over to the computer, crop, etc.

i love my epson v600 but a solid camera phone is so much easier and saves so much time. im actually considering getting a used iphone12 solely for snapping pics and uploading. no way i could carry that big thing in my pocket.

but the pics it takes are amazing. and its so easy uploading pics to here, the registry or ebay via phone vs the scanning process. these days, it's all about saving time for me.

and if you look at pwcc, heritage or any of the bigger guys, those are all digital photography. not scans.

edited May 28, 2021 12:10PM

it's all about saving time for me.

ditto that

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mad scientist workshop!!!

• DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I've always felt that qualifiers is a silly idea and glad to see it go away. Early on I bought a PSA9 OC that of course was not listed that way in the title.....shame on me for not looking at the picture closer. I've never bought another and got rid of that card as soon as I could at a loss but I hated looking at it.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow you should start your own TPG!> @blurryface said:

'68 bench. '72 erving.

dont even get us started w/ the front of the wacky clammy! :)

‘68 Bench exists centered on back. Was very excited when I found this one. It is a PSA 8.5.

i

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

'68 bench. '72 erving.

‘68 Bench exists centered on back. Was very excited when I found this one. It is a PSA 8.5.

That might be the best back centering on JB's rookie card that I have ever seen. Show a pict of the front.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the front. Found it at the National a few years back.

@JBrules said:

@brad31 said:

'68 bench. '72 erving.

That might be the best back centering on JB's rookie card that I have ever seen. Show a pict of the front.

• ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

Here is the front. Found it at the National a few years back.

@JBrules said:

@brad31 said:

'68 bench. '72 erving.

that is a beautiful card!

I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

....and it is also one of those rare 8.5s where the grade is still all on one line!

• weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2021 8:17PM

Le sigh..... a touch under the grade I expected

amazing back centering. one of the few cards the back is just as important to me. your example is very rare w f & b centering of that caliber.