Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Small defective scratched squares inside PSA holders - anyone ever figure out how/why these appear?

dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive seen numerous threads on these over the years across other forums and Facebook groups and 90% of the time you will encounter them in the corners of slabs roughly over the cards corners. Ive usually found them over the left top corner, but sometimes over both top corners. Only one other card ive owned (besides this one) have I seen the square in the middle of the slab and not a corner. These present as a small 1-2 mm sized square. Under 30-60x magnification, they appear to be scratched into the inside surface of the top part of the slab, curiously, in nearly perfect form. This current purchased card has not one, but two in the middle of the slab, really creating an ugly appearance. Its easy to test/prove these are on the slab and not the card by putting a pice of scotch tape over the square and marking it with a marker, then tapping the card to one side L/R or U/D and seeing if the mark follows or not. Both times, the mark remains under the taped mark...proving its on the slab. I kind of want to send this in for a reholder, as certain cards like this hologram card, REALLY make the defect noticeable among an otherwise flawless field of view. Has anyone ever figured out what causes these? I assume some kind of manufacturing defect. Curiously, like I said, they usually appear in the upper corners and ive never seen one on the back case. And before anyone says differently, no these are definitely not on the cards surface.

Here is a picture of one of these squares over a 1993 SP Foil Jeter I owned once....

myslabs.to/smzcards

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what causes them, but have been aware of them for a long time. Everything you have said is 100% accurate, they usually look in a scan like a bad corner on the card, but in hand you can see the tiny square. Odd to say the least!

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

The question would be is why PSA has not corrected this ?
    That would drive me nuts.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Those are detriment that wasn't properly air sprayed off .

Fill out the damage report in the customer care link and circle the areas where the detriment is. They need front and back pics of the slab . Usually 3 is sufficient one of the issue area close up the other 2 of the slab itself both sides. They will send a label and have you fill out a CRC return order form with the return approval info IF it gets approved. Package and return a few weeks from now they'll come back all fixed.

They've been great about handling the detriment in slab issues I've experienced. A++ to their staff on this detriment in slab stuff !!!

• Options

@jeffv96masters said:
    Those are detriment that wasn't properly air sprayed off .

Fill out the damage report in the customer care link and circle the areas where the detriment is. They need front and back pics of the slab . Usually 3 is sufficient one of the issue area close up the other 2 of the slab itself both sides. They will send a label and have you fill out a CRC return order form with the return approval info IF it gets approved. Package and return a few weeks from now they'll come back all fixed.

They've been great about handling the detriment in slab issues I've experienced. A++ to their staff on this detriment in slab stuff !!!

It’s nothing that could’ve been air sprayed off. It’s a defect that looks like it was scratched in with a fine needle in the shape of a square.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few very old slabs that have a clump of them grouped closely together.

• Options

I ended up contacting customer service and they authorized a return for review.

myslabs.to/smzcards