Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Palestine 100 Mils 1931

https://auctions.goldbergcoins.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/79/lot/164753
June 15-16 2021 another Mint State example up for sale. For a key coin, it seems frequently available albeit at a price.
Less so the 1934 100 Mils which actually has a lower mintage (200,000)
Estimate on the PCGS MS63 coin is $2500, a fraction of what it has actually been selling for over the last 7 years, for five different examples in mint state I can locate between Heritage and Goldberg.

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2021 5:55AM

Estimates are frequently low.

When a coin with a low populations comes up for sale more frequently than "normal", it's an indication the buyer doesn't retain interest. I have seen this on occasion with other coins, including a few in the series I collect.

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2021 7:49PM

@WCC said:
    Estimates are frequently low.

When a coin with a low populations comes up for sale more frequently than "normal", it's an indication the buyer doesn't retain interest. I have seen this on occasion with other coins, including a few in the series I collect.

“Buyer doesn’t retain interest” would be plausible if the same coin purchased would be resold. Here it appears that every example has appeared once.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I admit to be surprised to see yet another example come up, I don't believe I ever saw this one.
    When I sold my 62 in 2014, there was only one higher graded, a 63 example in the J&D Fishman registry set, a piece I actually owned in the '80's. I was the underbidder when it came up for sale again 15 yrs ago at WMR.

This one seems well graded - Goldberg's rarely show the slabs which imho is a big mistake. While we on that, the descriptions have a lot to be desired.
    Palestine. 100 Mils, 1931. KM-7. Key date. Light golden tan tone. Rare in top grades. PCGS graded MS-63. Estimated Value $2,500 - UP
    They have always been so bland and generic. At least the photography dept. is pretty decent.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    atomatom Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭

15.5K hammer

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

It’s interesting to note that the highest graded one across the street is a 62 so this would be a top pop if crossed over