Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Contemplating selling my collection due to health concerns for my wife...

I haven't made a final decision but wanted to put this out there for those interested. After many years meticulously putting together a nice collection paying particular attention to centering and eye appeal...I am strongly considering selling off my collection to purchase a one story home which would allow my wife easy access throughout our home. She suffers from psoriatic arthritis which severely damages your joints and tendons.

My 120-card collection of mostly HOFs from mid 50s to mid 80s are 87.5% PSA-8.5 or higher with 4 cards graded by SGC. I have placed a link on BST to view my collection.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 10:49AM

Nice stuff.... If you are going to sell, just ship it to PWCC and let it ride!

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear about your wife. You have one hell of a collection. Best of luck whatever you decide to do with it.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monte - You have a great collection and I so much enjoy seeing your cards and pickups. I hope you can stay collecting to some extent. All the very best to you and your wife.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck to you and your wife.

If you do sell, take great pictures and maybe find a way to build a collage of what you owned. It isn’t quite the same, but keeps the memories.

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Can’t take it with you! The good news is you collected an asset that can provide for family.

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purdue fan as well...1984 graduate w/degree in meteorology.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:

@blurryface said:
    dont think twice! family first.

This

Yup. Get the misses healthy and if you feel like it start collecting again at a later date.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

This is what a Real Man does. Bravo.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best wishes for you and your wife.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I've told my wife before if we had to sell my cards for what is best for the family I wouldn't hesitate selling them. Cards are what we all enjoy, but family is always first. I am fairly new to the board, but I have seen some of your awesome pickups, and I hope you can get back to collecting after your wife is doing better!

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

If you are able, keep one thing for yourself. Just one that means something to you, regardless of price. Best of luck.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are all just stewards of this stuff. GOD SPEED!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monte, wishing you and the Mrs. the best. Family first for sure. You have a great eye for high-end cards.

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Sell it. She's more than worth it.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:

@blurryface said:
    dont think twice! family first.

This

Second this.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck and best wishes for the Missus. I think most of have been there or will face this.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck to both you and your wife. I recently started thinking about a one-story house for a similar situation. I found there are these “elevators” that have a small footprint and can transport between 2 floors. About the size of a closet (it just goes up/down between floors using hydraulics or similar mechanisms)

Some of them are built for wheelchairs also. I’m still researching as this might be an option that allows me to stay in my current home.

All the best!

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have some great cards. I hate to see you sell them but I totally understand. Last year I made the decision to sell off a big portion of my collection. Good luck with whateveryou decide.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just noticed your e-mail addy @mintonlypls !!

I was looking forward to that Atlantic Basin hurricane forecast today! Another busy season it seems. ...

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:
    Good luck to both you and your wife. I recently started thinking about a one-story house for a similar situation. I found there are these “elevators” that have a small footprint and can transport between 2 floors. About the size of a closet (it just goes up/down between floors using hydraulics or similar mechanisms)

Some of them are built for wheelchairs also. I’m still researching as this might be an option that allows me to stay in my current home.

All the best!

I work in the elevator business and when I started in 1998, it seemed like most manufacturers had a piece of that (home) business. Over the last 20+ years though, most cut ties and stopped producing and/or selling home equipment. I am not sure any of the major elevator companies still sell this type of equipment, nor are they eager to service it. There are smaller, independent companies that do sell, install and service them though.

I don't know what these home lifts run these days cost wise, but I don't think I would want to rely on one if I ever needed it knowing what I know. I'd go with the 1 story floor plan before buying an elevator if at all possible. Another option is to buy a commercial elevator. They tend to be much more reliable over time. They are not cheap though, so it usually tends to be rich folks who have them more often than those who really need them.

As for the main discussion, I would be in the same category as most saying that the cards and memorabilia would go first if the need ever arose. The good part for me is that although I have been collecting for 40+ years now and have certainly spent a lot of money over that time, I am more of a bargain collector at heart and have tried to keep the spending to a hobby enjoyment level within my ongoing budget. That is not to say that I don't have value built up, but I don't generally have the kind of high impact stuff that one would liquidate in one shot to buy houses and other high end items. It's good to know that if I needed some cash though, I probably have enough goodies that could be easily sold to create a little nest egg if I had to.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.