Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Hello, I am brand new to this website, and my dad just gave me several thousand collectable coins

I have been able to upload the coins that are have the PCGS registration #'s, but many of them are unrated coins in books and plastic sleeves. How do I enter these into my inventory and have them rated? I tried the customer service phone number but was on hold indefinitely. Anybody out there willing to help a total rookie? Thank you, Rick

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rick - You can only enter PCGS graded coins into your registry. If you want to have the coins graded and certified, then you will need to submit them. You can find pricing and instructions on the PCGS website on how to submit. Be careful. Getting coins certified can be very expensive. It's only worth doing on coins that are valuable. Some amount of screening needs to be done before sending them in. It typically costs between $25-40/coin to get them graded.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 9:33AM

Welcome Rick,,

You will get more feedback on the Q&A forum, or the US coin forum where more people watch.

Also, the PCGS Price guide will show you some potential values, but you will need to study the condition grading photos, to learn some basics of grading yourself. There are a lot of videos, and info available here:

https://www.pcgs.com/resources

https://www.pcgs.com/prices

You will not want to grade everything as some coins are simply not worth the cost. You can also buy a "Red Book" of coins and read and learn.

• Options

Thank you both for answering. So for a collection that has many coins in sets that are not PCGS rated, what is the best platform for valuation and tracking? Should I just create an excel spreadsheet and look at EBay for approximate market values? I just ordered the Red Book as well. Thanks again.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Excel/Google Sheets. Ebay sold listings can be very helpful. I personally don't track market values, since it only matters when I go to sell. I do keep track of my price paid and insure my collection roughly based off of that.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

One other thought, stay with it and explore as your father does.
    Family dinners will never be the same. Lol.
    Welcome to the sand box.