Options

Rick Probstein

2»

Comments

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

@Crashingwaves said:
    I spoke with an eBay rep recently regarding high end cards sale (over 5k) and they said there will be changes coming to how they sell high end trading cards in the future. More protection for sellers and they will potentially have high end sales or returns first got through an eBay verification (i.e. send it to them to verify and then it is sent on to the customer and vice versa on returns). While I have bought from Probstein, heard horror stories of selling through him.

That makes a ton of sense. Above a certain dollar amount, there needs to be an intermediary to eliminate the BS of either claims of empty boxes arriving or scammer sellers actually sending empty boxes. I wonder what they'll charge for that service though.

Ebay should've implemented this service years ago. Sounds like a no brainer to help eliminate scamming buyers.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

as a seller, i would certainly pay extra for the intermediary service.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

If ebay is losing out on high dollar auctions, they should eat the cost.

I would never sell a high dollar card on ebay the way things stand, too many ways to screw the seller.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Only used Rick once. Still waiting waiting waiting. No response. Currently using PWCC and totally delighted with professionalism and results. Exactly opposite of Rick

• Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭

Years ago Probstein “lost” my stuff as well. Seems it still happens - all the time.

Let me repeat:

Probstein. LOSES. Consignments.

And yet he’s still doing brisk business. One of the most astonishing things I’ve ever seen.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not correct topic but will PWCC, Probstein etc be affected by the new eBay trading card listing rules.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    TGwynnCollectorTGwynnCollector Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

About 10 years ago, PWCC and Probstein were the 2 major consignors on eBay and they were split pretty close down the middle on listings they got. Slowly but surely, PWCC blew past Probstein and now dominates the market. Why you. may ask? Well let me give you my .02 cents lol

I use PWCC all the time. As others have mentioned, they take the time to put some thought and information into my listings. Descriptive and a lot of wording that helps the cards sell. I feel like they care about my cards even though they are far from the best money makers for them. They are also very strong in customer service and responsiveness. The owner, Brent, used to respond personally to anything I asked about. Now, obviously, they are much too big for him to be able to do that but the has staff that still does that.

Meanwhile, Probstein uses the description part of every listing to self-promote and let us all know that "Probstein is actively accepting consignments!!!" where he's supposed to be describing my listing. Thanks Rick. Good to be reminded of that in every listing. His lack of growth can be directly attributed to his lack of effort and care for his customer's listings. How hard is it to give us a little effort there? Putting CENTERED in the description is as much effort as he's willing to give us. It just irks me...

I'm sure others will be quick to point out PWCC's controversies of late, but I am 100% sold on PWCC based on every experience I've had with them

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

New player in town is 4SC. I consigned with them earlier this year and I would do it again. No issues and responsive. As for PWCC, their vault feature is awesome. I can see another entity doing this.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2021 11:28AM

Prob is a Problem and should be chosen last with any options. Even if one option is dropping it off at a guys house who is just having a garage sale that day.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather light my wallet on fire

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    NaithGNaithG Posts: 21

For what it’s worth I’m pretty new to having cards consigned and just done it for the second time with PWCC. I have recently contacted Probstein to see if he can carry out the same service I.e. consign and then auction cards for me. He replied saying only if they’re above $50 each. I said I think they will be as they are original Topps Star Wars and stickers etc. Whilst not mega high value cards they should at least be $50 and he replied saying they have to be more than that and I should let him now how it goes with PWCC.
    I’m now confused as what I’m supposed to do apart from give him a report on how PWCC do with my cards that I sent them?!

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭

For what it’s worth I’m pretty new to having cards consigned and just done it for the second time with PWCC. I have recently contacted Probstein to see if he can carry out the same service I.e. consign and then auction cards for me.

If you are already hooked up with PWCC, so much that you went back for seconds, what is motivating you to look at Probs?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NaithG said:
    For what it’s worth I’m pretty new to having cards consigned and just done it for the second time with PWCC. I have recently contacted Probstein to see if he can carry out the same service I.e. consign and then auction cards for me. He replied saying only if they’re above $50 each. I said I think they will be as they are original Topps Star Wars and stickers etc. Whilst not mega high value cards they should at least be $50 and he replied saying they have to be more than that and I should let him now how it goes with PWCC.
    I’m now confused as what I’m supposed to do apart from give him a report on how PWCC do with my cards that I sent them?!

Stay away from Rick! Several people (including myself) have posted that he sometimes "loses" your cards and then becomes impossible to deal with.

If you are going to ignore these warnings, please don't come back complaining about how poorly you get treated.

In 35 years of collecting, I have never had a worse experience than when I used his "service".

He had/has many supporters and has done a lot of business. When things go well, there isn't a problem. What happens when things go poorly is where you find out who the bad apples are.

He's a bad apple, stay away.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@RufussCkingston said:

For what it’s worth I’m pretty new to having cards consigned and just done it for the second time with PWCC. I have recently contacted Probstein to see if he can carry out the same service I.e. consign and then auction cards for me.

If you are already hooked up with PWCC, so much that you went back for seconds, what is motivating you to look at Probs?

Basically to check out other options and see if he’s better or not. I always try to diversify what I do to test the market and see what works and what doesn’t
    Cheers
    Naith

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@NaithG said:

Stay away from Rick! Several people (including myself) have posted that he sometimes "loses" your cards and then becomes impossible to deal with.

If you are going to ignore these warnings, please don't come back complaining about how poorly you get treated.

In 35 years of collecting, I have never had a worse experience than when I used his "service".

He had/has many supporters and has done a lot of business. When things go well, there isn't a problem. What happens when things go poorly is where you find out who the bad apples are.

He's a bad apple, stay away.

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like a large dealer in the UK that purchased literally millions of cards a few years ago from one of the largest cigarette card firms in Europe. He sells thousands of sets on ebay and has a huge amount of feedback. Only thing is, if anything goes wrong he is extremely rude and threatens the buyer instantly. I know loads of people that he has screwed over but gets away with it as he sells so much ebay turn a blind eye.
    I think I’ll stay with PWCC!!
    Cheers
    Naith

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭

@NaithG said:

Basically to check out other options and see if he’s better or not. I always try to diversify what I do to test the market and see what works and what doesn’t
    Cheers
    Naith

I understand, but don't think you could get better results somewhere else except for different fees. However if you have cards with crappy backs, then Probs is the place since he never shows pics of the backs most of the time.

• Options

I sent Rick some cards in January. No action or communication at all until he finally listed them two weeks ago. I wish Rick had told me about the long wait times or at least confirmed receipt of my cards. Very pleased with auction results and will use Rick again knowing and expecting a long wait time.

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I've used 4SC recently and was pleased with the results and actually went back and put in another consignment. Their rates on unopened boxes are much better than PWCC.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2021 5:55PM

@GoDodgersFan said:
    New player in town is 4SC. I consigned with them earlier this year and I would do it again. No issues and responsive. As for PWCC, their vault feature is awesome. I can see another entity doing this.

I really like the service 4SCs offers. Quick payment as well. I could use a little more description on a low pop item, but I have used them a few times. Happy with rates, speed of listing, and speed of payment. Got good value on all my listings as well.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies