Home Precious Metals
Options

~the Official, perpetual, "It's kinda SHTF but the US Dollar hasn't collaped yet" thead~

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Higashiyama said:
    @derryb said: “ controlled burn. Little fires are acceptable to an uninformed public.”

Probably acceptable to most of the informed public as well because they maintain faith in the “control” part.

controlled destruction of one's currency is acceptable? Not to those who understand the long term ramifications.

So if they destroy 1 but you 5 back....thats a problem?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Nor even Woodford is helping understand this one. :D

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a money creation scheme. It becomes a problem when the 5 won't buy 1/2 of what the 1 used to get you.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

Sounds like a money creation scheme. It becomes a problem when the 5 won't buy 1/2 of what the 1 used to get you.

Thats may be right, but have we ever reached that point?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2021 10:03PM

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

Quite a few times. Higher prices (to calm the producers) and higher wages (to calm the consumers ) are a RESULT OF and not a CAUSE OF what the chart says. Unfortunately when it gets to the point of hyperinflation wages can never keep up with prices. As long as the FED keeps the "slow burn" under control the juggling act continues. But, as the chart shows, they are losing the battle.

Based on the BLS chart, one could argue the dollar has collapsed, just no funeral as of yet. What sets the US apart from Venezuela is the time frame. They were able to do in days and weeks what we have delayed for decades.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Well then, I guess it's a good thing that I earn many, many more dollars in 2021 then I did back in the day of 1913.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2021 5:03AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

Quite a few times

No we haven't. Never had hyperinflation here.

That chart shows a 95% decrease in purchasing power, or a 20x increase in prices----over a 100+ year time frame. Tell me an asset that has not appreciated more than 20x since 1913. The average annual wage in the US was about $600 in 1913, today over $50,000.

https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2015/01/02/a-glimpse-at-your-expenses-100-years-ago

Looks like "they" took away $1 and gave back 4 or 5 or 10 or 20, depending upon ones own ambition, desire for education, investment acumen, and tolerance of risk.

"Their" plan seems to have worked quite well.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Based on the BLS chart, one could argue the dollar has collapsed, just no funeral as of yet. What sets the US apart from Venezuela is the time frame. They were able to do in days and weeks what we have delayed for decades.

Well, my biggest fear is the entire market is shorted. There's no silver behind that paper. There's no GameStop or AMC shares to cover shorts. Bitcoin on Coinbase, PayPal, CashApp isn't real. Perth Mint continues to release photoshopped propaganda and keeps dropshipping bars from China.

I'm fairly positive at this point the US Mint is using private reserves just to keep the illusion up. Symbolism and the air of superiority is very important to these people. It would be a national embarrassment if a US Mint couldn't come up with gold.

This doesn't end well on two fronts. First, the economy is toast, the bells have been tolling for some time. We will have to rethink everything.

Second, people are going to water the tree of liberty, and we will just take what we need.

All of this got so much worse than I ever could have imagined. I'm glad some of you have some semblance of normalcy. There were gunshots three times in the last 24h. This is terrible.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2021 6:16AM

@cohodk said:

That chart shows a 95% decrease in purchasing power, or a 20x increase in prices----over a 100+ year time frame. Tell me an asset that has not appreciated more than 20x since 1913. The average annual wage in the US was about $600 in 1913, today over $50,000.

adding zeros to everything, including debt, is a grand fix for monetary leadership failure? That's the solution of a six year old.

You should run for office in Venezuela. lol

• Options

@derryb said:

You should run for office in Venezuela. lol

Then i would be your President.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens: how long will the Perth mint and the US mint need to keep delivering before you stop worrying? One year? Five years? Ten years? Conspiracy theories can be long lived, even as the days go by and evidence accumulates to dispel them.

Higashiyama
  • Options

Exactly, I've been stacking about 15 years and the one constant during pretty much that entire time? Some conspiracy about this mass silver shortage. I can say I've always been able to buy when I wanted and their was always much, much more available than I could ever dream to afford.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:
    @Azurescens: how long will the Perth mint and the US mint need to keep delivering before you stop worrying? One year? Five years? Ten years? Conspiracy theories can be long lived, even as the days go by and evidence accumulates to dispel them.

Too bad millions and millions more have fallen into the conspiracy trap laid by a pig farmer in the Philippines. Lol

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tens of trillions of USD pour into the system to enrich the wealthy and prop our equities markets to absurd levels. We publish close to $40 trillion USD on The Fed balance sheet and in U.S. Federal Budget deficit figures. The true total is much higher. Perhaps double the published figures but definitely beyond $50 trillion USD today.

It will end and it will not end well and will not be too far in the future. That much should be obvious to anyone with their head out of the sand.

• Options

@VanHalen said: “ It will end and it will not end well and will not be too far in the future. That much should be obvious to anyone with their head out of the sand.”

Actually, in the realm of economic forecasting, very little is obvious, except with hindsight.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2021 5:06AM

I've been stacking about 15 years and the one constant during pretty much that entire time? Some conspiracy about this mass silver shortage.

Blame it on LBJ. He said there simply wasn't enough silver to be used in coinage, when his real motivation was to eliminate a crucial physical link between government spending and monetary constraint, (just like FDR did with gold when he confiscated it, right before he revalued it higher). That way, LBJ could more easily finance spending on his Great Society (and you should remember his quote about keeping a certain minority voting Democrat for the next 50 years using the welfare system) and the Vietnam War without being hassled about where the money was supposed to come from.

I guess that makes LBJ the original instigator for the conspiracy theory that there is a mass silver shortage.

The newer FASAB rules that shroud government finance from any transparency in the name of "national security" totally eliminates the link (or any semblance of accountability) between reality and government spending, which is the whole point of "Modern Monetary Theory".

Of course, the big banks and Federal Reserve are 100% complicit in the social engineering by creating money out of thin air for the politicians to deploy in all of the ways that can be imagined to keep them in power while skimming their "cut" off of every deal they make.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:
    @VanHalen said: “ It will end and it will not end well and will not be too far in the future. That much should be obvious to anyone with their head out of the sand.”

Actually, in the realm of economic forecasting, very little is obvious, except with hindsight.

That may be true with regard to economic forecasting but this not economic forecasting. This is simple arithmetic. Arithmetic that most Americans are unaware of, and of those that are aware nearly all chose to arrogantly ignore.

The Debt Doomsday Clock can be reset but it can't be denied. We are in our last quarter century of denial at most. We have 25 years to print, forget and be fat and happy. Enjoy.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:

It's not guesswork. History provides more than enough documentation to know where money printing, cheap credit and asset bubbles will lead us. Those blowing the bubbles, printing the money and providing the credit continue to think this time will be different. That is why there is always a next time.

• Options

@derryb said: "It's not guesswork. History provides more than enough documentation to know where money printing, cheap credit and asset bubbles will lead us. Those blowing the bubbles, printing the money and providing the credit continue to think this time will be different. That is why there is always a next time."

But that's such a vague statement that it's not particularly useful. If you are providing a useful forecast, you need to at least give a sense as to magnitude and timing. Are we heading towards 1970s style stagflation? Worse? Double digits for a decade or more? Hyperinflation? And when is this crisis likely to emerge? Over the next year? The next 3 - 5 years? Within this century? If your assertion is correct ("it's not guesswork") then you should at least be able to give me your best estimate as to time frame and severity, and explain the assumptions that underlie your forecast.

Higashiyama
  • Options

And when is this crisis likely to emerge?

Right about the time that physical constraints appear in the market.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are just the kind of vague apocalyptic forecasts that inspired the thread... just over 10 years ago... back when silver was over $35/oz, and even higher premiums for scarcer and fancier "collector" silver items.

Looking forward to enjoying the next decade of "The End is Near!" Posts 😉

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley said:
    These are just the kind of vague apocalyptic forecasts that inspired the thread... just over 10 years ago... back when silver was over $35/oz, and even higher premiums for scarcer and fancier "collector" silver items.

Looking forward to enjoying the next decade of "The End is Near!" Posts 😉

I'm looking forward to DOW 40,000 and S&P 5,000. We should be there soon with another $5 or $6 trillion dumped in don't ya think?

The arrogance in this country is beyond description.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:
    If your assertion is correct ("it's not guesswork") then you should at least be able to give me your best estimate as to time frame and severity, and explain the assumptions that underlie your forecast.

It will be severe and it will occur when the FED can no longer hold back the results of its years of economic mismanagement. When the can kicking comes to an end.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we combine this thread and the economic reset one?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

US dollar holler. Covid Smovid. 20 Trillion or 20 Gazillion. All Noise.

There are many Gods but one truth:

There is a finite amount of Silver in the Earth's crust.
    %68 of mined silver goes "poof" annually and cannot be recovered.
    Industry wants more an more.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

It will be sub $20 by x-mas, we will still be waiting for the comex to implode, the economy to collapse and the world to end.

Stay positive my fellow bunker dwellers. RGDS!

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    It will be sub $20 by x-mas, we will still be waiting for the comex to implode, the economy to collapse and the world to end.

Stay positive my fellow bunker dwellers. RGDS!

I always get a tear in my eye when I think of the sacrifice of time from family and friends you have made over the last 6 years warning us all on a Precious Metal message board about the perils of stacking said Precious Metals.
    Here is a man(?) who knows his purpose and place.
    Not all heroes wear caps!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

Some would say gutter metal is far from precious. They barely even mine for the stuff, just a byproduct of mining for copper. They pull hundreds of millions of ounces out of the ground every year and they aren't even looking for the stuff. Yeah that's a real rarity right there. Looks like someone missed selling at the top....again.

• Options

Yeah that's a real rarity right there.

You're saying that LBJ was wrong?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

Quite a few times. Higher prices (to calm the producers) and higher wages (to calm the consumers ) are a RESULT OF and not a CAUSE OF what the chart says. Unfortunately when it gets to the point of hyperinflation wages can never keep up with prices. As long as the FED keeps the "slow burn" under control the juggling act continues. But, as the chart shows, they are losing the battle.

I think we get high-to-hyperinflation here eventually but this is such a stupid chart.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

I think we get high-to-hyperinflation here eventually but this is such a stupid chart.

Why do you think it's a "stupid chart"? Do you think the US Bureau of Labor numbers are wrong?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Why do you think it's a "stupid chart"? Do you think the US Bureau of Labor numbers are wrong?

No I don’t think the numbers are wrong. And to clarify, the whole chart isn’t stupid. For example, the part from ~1929-1933 is amusing.

• Options

Its an amusing chart, especially that WaCkY insane action from 1981 (after 90% of the devaluation had occurred) until 10 years ago, when the chart ends (for some reason yet to be explained 😉)

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 12:12AM

It gets no less amusing with a few more years added. The sad story remains the same. It's gonna take nothing short of a FED reverse split (more zeros) to bring it back up.

• Options

That chart, if one believes the data, demonstrates remarkable stability, far less inflation, and fewer recessions, in the past 35 years, relative to the first 35 or middle 35 years.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2021 2:06AM

When any data declines to the point of "near zero" it safe to say "it has finally stabilized." LOL

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion has been closed.