Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

1943 c newfoundland dime....eye candy

HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heres an very low mintage 1943 c Newfoundland dime for sale or trade.
The dime is on cosignment this weekend at the Gettysburg Pa. Battlefield coin show.
So if interested you can see in hand there, the slab has some sratches over the face creating that fog on the obv. Please feel free to pm me any questions, I took this gem ms 62 that I believe would grade up in a deal in trade. The color is nothing but eye candy..... I am willing to except a trade depending on terms...pm lets talk.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

Comments

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

would you please indicate WHY this coin should be worth $500?
    If it were ICCS graded (Canadian #1 grader) it would find a buyer for $ 400 Canadian. that is about $ 300 US...if someone would want it. and ONLY if it would cross to ICCS at a 62.
    It will be interesting to see what the result will be.
    good luck

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mintage is only 104,706. Survival rate in the current condition, in hand the coin is under grade, coins and Canada in 62 has it price point at $381. Cad $ 301U.S.
    I live in the U.S. and here they will pay a premium for color. Asking is $500...selling price is another.
    Lastly I took this in trade and the price point was that of the owner before me. If someone wants to pay $500 usd my hand is open ...if someone wants to throw out a reasonable offer my ear are.
    I have spent many summers in Ont. In my youth...so I have a very good understanding of Canadian people as well knowing different areas demand higher or lower price points.
    Here in the state I live in ...I call the area the golden triangle Baltimore, Annapolis, and D.C. everything that around that area is costly...not NYC costly but still there other areas you can go cheaper.
    So supply and demand, location....location...location..
    And my final answer im not pressed to sell it .... if it goes great, if not back in the vault. Thanks for your post

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2021 5:53PM

I'm Canadian and I'd like to toss in my 45 years of buying and selling experience.

First of all, I do not want to suggest any criticism towards the seller as what I have to say might be taken as so.

Instead it is directed at the 'general' US seller of Canadian (or Newfoundland) coins.

Point 1. Much too often, US sellers do not take into account the exchange rates between our two countries and our respective price lists.

Point 2. I'm not in tune with all the aspects of the US market, but I can tell you about the Canadian coin market, if you can get 50% to 60% of our Canadian Coin Trends price list, you are doing very well (take the money and run).

Point 3. A big fat zero premium for color is the norm for Canadian coins.

Point 4. It's a common defense in justifying a higher price to quote the low mintages, especially for Newfoundland coins. This argument has been going on for over 50 years and yet the prices don't increase. Why... because you also need strong demand (supply and demand economics 101) and there's little of that.

Since the Financial crisis of 2008, our market has been in the tank.

Great for buyers, terrible for sellers who still price their coins as if they're in the pre-2008 boom years.

So..........for this example, it's my opinion that an experienced buyer (in Canada) would pay 50% to 60% of $500 (in Canadian dollars) and that would equate to $220 USD, IF they dearly wanted the coin.

This is the reality of this coin.

And just to be fair, if in the future I post a US coin for sale and the price I'm asking is very high, let me have it and educate me........I'm a big boy ...I can handle it.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
    edited April 5, 2021 4:43PM

The U S market is hot.....this passed weekend they had a 3 day show in Gettysburg Pa.
    I have heard from 3 dealers today touching base to see if I had anything for sale, or knew of any inventory. 1 dealer sold 16 k usd before his table was set, Morgan silver dollars pretty much sold out.... you all up in the great white north may not pay for color here they eat it up!
    Now true comparing US mintages to other countries is a very different thing .... as a small mintage here would be 300k on a silver dollar, as in Canada or other world coins that be huge.
    But totaly different market.... and Americans in the U S will drop the money or a premum on color.
    Ive seen very common Morgans perhasp a $50 coin in 62 sell for 3 to 4 x's that if the color is right.
    I see a real big problem comming down the tracks....as its not a normal Monday am I getting calls from 3 dealers looking for inventory. And with the stimulus checks hitting those who are ok are spending it as fast as they can and dealers are paying huge premiums for fresh stock.
    Like I said if it sells no worries....if not no worries it paid for for alot less than the marked price point.
    And sir your opening statement ....about criticism well That said I know for a fact youre Canadian!
    How so spent many summer on lake Huron at Grand Bend ont. Never met a Canadian I didnt like......por que? Why ya all are just to damn nice! Very polite, very friendly....and lastly thanks for your post.. .... and sorry for spoiling that Canadian good guy thing.....more countries should take a lesson or two eh?. Cheers my friend

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bigipst
    Please...point out just one inappropriate sentence on our posts., or even where one of us is saying that the OP is asking too much.
    We presented OUR opinions about the present market and how this, and similar Canadian coins can be bought and we told why that is.** I am curious what it exactly is that you do not like about it?**
    And these, our opinions are mostly based on real market facts. simply, the way it is.
    Double Eagle is a very respected and knowledgeable person. he knows the Canadian market inside out. A ton of collectors also value his opinion, including me and others here. ( I am only a collector with a rather large collection of ALL-Canadian coins. And yes, including a ton of NL rarities.
    Oh yes...I did read that it is YOUR opinion. And yes, to be an example for everyone, and do what you are preaching, the PM's you wanted to send **privately **to the 2 of us, to tell us what we should have done, in your opinion... sadly these PMs have not arrived yet?? Did you attach the proper postage? :o

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

As the op I take no offence to anyones point of view. Again the coin was in trade, the $500 tag isnt in my hand writting but the pryor owner....asking and getting are two different things....and again it matters not if it sells at a price point acceptable or it sits with thousands of other coins . Its all good no need to start an issue this as no matter the value, I value peace over controversy any day. So everyone chill it isnt worth the time to post.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took this post as an opportunity to talk about the general situation I run into when a US dealer sells a Canadian coin, like the OP.

Is it inappropriate?............probably and I apologise for it.

But I'll conter that in my opinion, it's very educational and that is my purpose for my post.

I think I've been around here long enough that most posters know me for not being confrontational and I am respectful of the forum rules.

I may have been walking the fine line on this one.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Again no harm here... no worries...

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    I took this post as an opportunity to talk about the general situation I run into when a US dealer sells a Canadian coin, like the OP.

But I'll conter that in my opinion, it's very educational and that is my purpose for my post.

I think I've been around here long enough that most posters know me for not being confrontational and I am respectful of the forum rules.

I found the post very informative, albeit it probably shouldn't be in someone's BST listing, but you've since acknowledged that. I was also very glad to see HalfDimeDude take no offense, and in fact even thanked DoubleEagle. This situation could easily have started a feud, but it didn't, and we certainly don't need any more drama or bannings here!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    would you please indicate WHY this coin should be worth $500?

You question his price

If it were ICCS graded (Canadian #1 grader) it would find a buyer for $ 400 Canadian. that is about $ 300 US...if someone

would want it. and ONLY if it would cross to ICCS at a 62.

You then tell him that it would only be worth a lesser price if it could make it into a ICCS holder

It will be interesting to see what the result will be.

good luck

It is rude to post these types of responses on someone's for sale post. Period.

You may have your opinion of price, but the seller is free to ask whatever he wants and no matter how overpriced you think it is, you should not post this on his BST post.
    It should have been in a PM

Do you go into a store, ask them to justify the price and then basically tell everyone in the store that items are overpriced and they should get things from somewhere else?

Try going to a coin show at a dealers table and tell the person browsing his coins that they are overpriced and they aren't even worth buying unless they are in a different holder. See how that dealer responds.'

If you don't see how you posting here was inconsiderate and that it should have been in PM form then feel free to post away on every overpriced BST post and see how happy everyone will be that you are sharing your knowledge of pricing.

@DoubleEagle59 said:

Kudos. Clearly you had no ill intentions, and realize that this may not have been the best place for it. That was my gripe.

As far as Canadian coins and U.S. sellers go..

There was a Canadian Dealer who used to walk around the Long Beach Expo with cases full of the Modern PL dollars with wild colors graded by PCGS. He brought them to Long Beach because dealers would buy for hundreds of dollars what Canadian collectors could care very little about. So the markets in our two countries for coins with color may be very different. Just because there is no color premium for Canadian coins in Canada, does not mean that there are no color premiums for Canadian coins in the U.S.

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    Bigipst
    Please...point out just one inappropriate sentence on our posts., or even where one of us is saying that the OP is asking too much.
    We presented OUR opinions about the present market and how this, and similar Canadian coins can be bought and we told why that is.** I am curious what it exactly is that you do not like about it?**
    And these, our opinions are mostly based on real market facts. simply, the way it is.
    Double Eagle is a very respected and knowledgeable person. he knows the Canadian market inside out. A ton of collectors also value his opinion, including me and others here. ( I am only a collector with a rather large collection of ALL-Canadian coins. And yes, including a ton of NL rarities.
    Oh yes...I did read that it is YOUR opinion. And yes, to be an example for everyone, and do what you are preaching, the PM's you wanted to send **privately **to the 2 of us, to tell us what we should have done, in your opinion... sadly these PMs have not arrived yet?? Did you attach the proper postage? :o

Clearly you think you were in the right, so a snarky remark should be no surprise to me on this.

I posted that it was in bad taste to bash a persons coins or prices on his BST post. I did neither.

Look i feel like I started something here...that isnt the porpoise of my thread. I may ask this to be locked as i personally dont want or care to start a battle over my coin.
    Both sides have valid points...but folks no need get our panties in a knot!
    Ive taken no offence at all ...not please dont split hairs !
    My intent was to show imho a pretty coin, that I would sell... again the price point was that of the person I took it in trade from price point. Not mine...will i take $500 for it damn skippy! Do I expect to recieve asking price no....
    Please stop... I respect each of your points....the replies may or may not been appropriate I dont care! What I do care is everyone just chillin... if ya think shes a sweet coin please post so.
    If not well best to keep it to your self.
    I now have stated that i respect each of your post as your options , please respect my request to stop.
    This forum is a wonderful place...full of some fantastic people and their treasures. These alone should be what unites us.....not pulls us apart. Peace out the dude!!!

I have respectfully flagged this thread and asked to be locked.
    I lay no blame... and take no issues with either side of this debate.
    Last check we are all human...subject to error , that said...
    If you arent human please PM me....as I sure would love after this dumpster fire of a year world wide.....like to take a flight up to the mother ship! :)
    We learn by our mistakes..... lesson over!

This discussion has been closed.