Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

With PSA freezing submissions are high grade raw vintage sets going to be more or less in demand?

Was considering consigning some higher grade raw vintage sets for auction. How do you think the submission freeze will affect this? I can see it both ways someone buying the set to sub certain cards may not be willing to have those dollars sitting on the sidelines for the next 6-12 months or with the lack of graded cards hitting the market raw will be more desirable? What are your thoughts.

Comments

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd hold the sets personally. JMO.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think this move effects the new products more than the old. Not often do PSA 9 or PSA 10's pop up of Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Willie Mays. But for Tatis Jr and some other rookie baseball players, a lot of people will want to grade them. PLus they are more abundant.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it hurts them. If you wanted to get a raw set to graded now it would cost and arm and a leg. I recently bought a 1966 TARZAN, 66 cards PSA graded set for roughly $1,100 on ebay. With the price increase it probably costs close to that just to have them graded.

On the flipside graded sets will go up in value.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2021 12:29PM

i think it's gonna fluctuate. for the first month or so, all the flippers are prolly gonna freak, panic and sell off causing a small influx of supply. deals will prolly be had. as the supply gets absorbed and tucked away by set collectors and those who can wait out the shutdown, demand will start outweighing the available supply and prices will go back up. and then when another price increase occurs the new cost of grading will slowly be cooked into all previously graded cards establishing an entirely new floor.

i think this will cover just about all facets of the hobby. from vintage to modern to non sports. '20-'21 prizm basketball exempt. there will be a massive flood there once the are graded and hit the market. it will be a long battle to the bottom w/ undercuts galore.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think it will affect prices on raw vintage.

I think the graded common market has been shrinking for a few years now. The combination of grading fees, storage space and turnaround time has made this endeavor less popular. Future grading fees will make this even more of a niche part of the hobby. If these collectors ever sell - many like to keep their sets in tact. Shipping fees on a 600+ card PSA set make it a large undertaking. Know a few long time collectors that buy PSA 8s of commons then crack out and put them in their binder. Sometimes this is cheaper than buying from the large e-bay dealers that have a reputation for accurate grades on raw commons. Look at the number of bidders on the NM-MT commons on the Greg Morris auctions vs. PSA set breaks. The same cards that are low pop commons are also in demand for those collecting a high grade raw set. They are tough to find in high grade and more need them or want to upgrade than there are cards out there.

I am probably wrong - predicting this hobby is nearly impossible. Collect what you like and enjoy your collection - if you do that you can never go wrong.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vintage commons in high grade going to jump IMO.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2021 11:35AM

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Vintage commons in high grade going to jump IMO.

Perhaps for team collectors, etc but on the whole commons are commons for reason. Now Vintage (pre Junk WAX) non HOF stars you have my 100% agreement on those.

As for the Junk Wax era non HOF's and even HOF's I see a correction already starting with Cards I monitor. Examples; High Population PSA10 cards like of 1992 Bowman Mariano Rivera, 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas, 1983 Fleer and Donruss Boggs and Sandberg and more.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.