Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Submissions

I'm sending a few valuable cards to PSA (2 Rookie Gretzkys and an 86 Fleer Jordan). I know PSA has guidelines for packing, but just curious what everybody else does for valuable cards as far as packing goes. I plan to put them in a plastic sleeve, then inside a card saver II semi rigid protector. I'll pack them in a box rather than an envelope to avoid mishandling or bending and will send certified mail (I'm assuming they have to sign). Obviously I'll protect them well inside with peanuts and the like. As far as insurance goes I'm not going to worry about the worse case scenario, though I may get a few insurance quotes just to see how expensive it is. Also, how do they ship them back? Are people satisfied that they send back valuable cards with care? Thanks. Considered other grading companies, but since I will most likely sell at least one of them I think PSA commands the highest selling value. Thanks all.

Comments

• Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Psa recommends the larger card saver 1s. I think cs1s are better. I don’t utilize the penny sleeves definitely optional. I would put the cards in a thick cardboard “sandwich “ and a rubber band around the cardboard. Definitely boxed shipped with peanuts to prevent crushing. Registered mail is the safest way to ship high value items, priority express is faster and pretty secure.

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

I have no issues with PSA's return shipping. I would insure my items in transit.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2021 9:40AM

NO...... Card Saver I, not II.

They ship them back as they choose to ship them back.... Your declared value protects YOU if something happens on the return.

Also, put the card savered cards between a cardboard sandwich, then into the box with peanuts, foam, anything to keep it from floating around.

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Fellas,

What’s the maximum number of cards (card savers) you put in each “cardboard sandwich?”

Sending in a large sub and was wondering the fewest sandwiches I could get away with safely.

Thanks

• Options

@Porkins said:
    Fellas,

What’s the maximum number of cards (card savers) you put in each “cardboard sandwich?”

Sending in a large sub and was wondering the fewest sandwiches I could get away with safely.

Thanks

I've done 108, but I also put some card board on the sides, that way the rubberbands aren't grinding into the top and bottom cards. It's like I've made a cardboard box. The top pieces slightly bigger than the cardsavers so they rest on top of the side pieces, which are about the same height as the stack.

• Options

Thanks, why card savers I instead of 2 though? Is it the sizing of them? The card savers 2 are a bit bigger I think, but they seem very stable as far as movement goes. Any recommendations on insurance? I know the post office insures things, but from other posts I view it seems people do not have much faith in that with cards. Rufuss, you are a world of information. You must have been in this card business for a long time.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2021 2:35PM

You've got it backwards... CS1's are 3.25 x 4.25 in the pocket... CS2's are smaller at just under 3x4. CS1's are the required holder per the PSA FAQ. CS2's are only for sending raw cards to ebay buyers ;)

Because you probably don't have a receipt that shows you paid thousands for your cards, any insurance is not really gonna pay. The only one I would really look into is www.Collectinsure.com, from what others have suggested.

I have not been in the business a long time...... But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!

• Options

No receipts for thousands for sure as I got those cards out of packs which I paid probably 50 cents for. I'll order some CS1's today. As for insurance I've seen people talk about that company on these threads, so I will check out their website, though to be honest I'm not going to dwell on the worst case scenario. I've shipped thousands of things in my other business first class and priority and never had an issue, so I'm pretty sure by sending certified there would be an even smaller chance of something going wrong.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2021 3:10PM

@Porkins said:
    Fellas,

Thanks

i find the cs1 box itself to be the perfect tool. just turn them sideways and make 1 row vs the two 50ct rows like they come packaged. it's obviously the right dims & fits 100 cards perfectly w just the right amount of space to insert the sub forms.

throw those boxes in another box for extra peace of mind and send'em on their way..l

• Options

@magician45 said:
    I've shipped thousands of things in my other business first class and priority and never had an issue, so I'm pretty sure by sending certified there would be an even smaller chance of something going wrong.

Certified just means someone needs to sign for it at delivery, doesn't keep it from going AWOL during shipment. Registered is a different story. I'd do Fedex if I were you. I live close, so Fedex Ground is overnight for me.

• Options

Sounds good. Fed Ex is in then. Worth the extra money I guess for high priced cards. Do you sell on Ebay Rufuss? I wouldn't mind checking out your page or store if you do.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@Porkins said:
    Fellas,

Thanks

i find the cs1 box itself to be the perfect tool. just turn them sideways and make 1 row vs the two 50ct rows like they come packaged. it's obviously the right dims & fits 100 cards perfectly w just the right amount of space to insert the sub forms.

throw those boxes in another box for extra peace of mind and send'em on their way..l

exactly what I do

• Options

Well, since PSA has stopped accepting cards I'll either wait or try another grading company. For Jordans and Gretzkys though might be better to wait.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

No more Cs1s, PSA not accepting any more subs....basically we are back to 1992. Time to to start hoarding screwdown holders and Dan McGwire Pogs.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do people think that PSA is not accepting subs?

• Options

@magician45 said:
    Well, since PSA has stopped accepting cards I'll either wait or try another grading company. For Jordans and Gretzkys though might be better to wait.

NO, PSA has NOT stopped accepting cards at all. They just have set the minimum price of a per card submission at $300 or higher. Unless you were grading the Gretzky's for $150, you can def send them and the Jordan at $300 TODAY.... I can't think of any legitimate reason to wait.

• Options

Thanks Rufuss. Good to know.