Home PSA Set Registry Forum

PSA Price increase ?

Are they increasing the pricing and when ?

Comments

  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2021 7:31AM

    Nothing confirmed yet, but I would get any orders you want in at current prices postmarked by Saturday ;)

  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

    if i was PSA i'd try the troposphere, then the stratosphere, then the mesosphere, then the thermosphere, then the exosphere

  • ejguruejguru Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

    Huge leap for "value" submissions to $20/card. I think this puts me on the sidelines for a while as a submitter.

    "...life is but a dream."

    Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • ejguruejguru Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

    I assume the quarterly specials are still "as advertised"? Perhaps the April 1-June 30 special will look very different?

    "...life is but a dream."

    Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭✭

    My last sub of 100 cards, cost me $9 per card + shipping...total $938.75. This was just 10 months ago.
    The sub before that of 113 cards, cost me $8 per card + shipping...total $961.00. This was in 2019.

    Did I miss something, or have prices really spiked to $20 per card?? The quarterly specials appear to be the only reasonable thing going...that is, IF you have cards that fit into the parameters of the special. At $20 per card, my subs will be very far and few between.

  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MCMLVTopps said:
    My last sub of 100 cards, cost me $9 per card + shipping...total $938.75. This was just 10 months ago.
    The sub before that of 113 cards, cost me $8 per card + shipping...total $961.00. This was in 2019.

    Did I miss something, or have prices really spiked to $20 per card?? The quarterly specials appear to be the only reasonable thing going...that is, IF you have cards that fit into the parameters of the special. At $20 per card, my subs will be very far and few between.

    That’s the idea is to cut down on the 10 million card backlog. Plus the cost of everything I’m every industry has seemed to skyrocket since the pandemic hit.

    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭

    I was going to join the silver club
    Now at $20 I can say I will not be going ahead with any submissions

    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • shawthershawther Posts: 109 ✭✭

    @jay0791 said:
    I was going to join the silver club
    Now at $20 I can say I will not be going ahead with any submissions

    Me either. My hope is that they will have a sharp decline in submissions and are able to catch back up by mid summer. Then hopefully we will see the cost of submissions come back down. I doubt we will ever see $10 submissions again though.

  • ejguruejguru Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

    Agreed. Hopefully there's a middle ground, perfect storm price point somewhere in the middle that works for all.

    "...life is but a dream."

    Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

    I'm sure thinking about buying more cards already graded? There is no way I can afford $20 per card, for example modern sets where a base card is only $5-$10.

  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

    Since PSA needs to keep vintage collectors incentivized to use the registry, I see a point down the line where the cost to submit cards for one's personal registry sets will again dip to somewhat affordable levels ($10 perhaps....hopefully). This may have to wait until multiple offices are set up around the country and the tsunami of cards being submitted has abated, but it will happen. There just won't be enough high-value cards to keep the increased number of graders busy. A good reason to pray for a major correction in card prices.

    In addition, there's almost zero research needed for vintage low-priced cards ("Yep, my extensive investigation suggests that it's a 1957 Topps Jim Pyburn. Nailed it!"), so costs are far lower than an ultra-modern, dual autograph, quadruple patch, black refractor of Juan Soto (and his mom).

  • @MCMLVTopps said:
    My last sub of 100 cards, cost me $9 per card + shipping...total $938.75. This was just 10 months ago.
    The sub before that of 113 cards, cost me $8 per card + shipping...total $961.00. This was in 2019.

    Did I miss something, or have prices really spiked to $20 per card?? The quarterly specials appear to be the only reasonable thing going...that is, IF you have cards that fit into the parameters of the special. At $20 per card, my subs will be very far and few between.

    I have a dumb question. What level is my membership subs consudered? Also, I agree that price increase will kill registry. I like collecting m8dern insert sets (I am a set buildet), but these prices will keep me away...they need to have a registry only special in order to keep flippers away. Thoughts?

  • OK I am new to PSA but not new to collecting. I have been collecting for 40 years and have some really awesome cards. What i don't understand is why did PSA jack the prices and grade less cards for the price. I understand you are crazy busy but all that is going to do is defer all your regular customers. i was hoping to build monster sets and just have fun like the rest, but at 20 bucks a card minimum 10 cards and have to wait over 8 months to get them back is just disgusting in my eyes. New owner, new prices. Talk about greed!!!!! I have at least another 500 cards i want to send, but not at these prices. Its almost cheaper just buying them already graded. SIGH* Just my 2 cents! Might just start sending to Beckett. Thanks new owner of PSA. Great way to loose all your regulars!!!!!!!!!

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 4:25PM

    @Big_Al said:
    OK I am new to PSA but not new to collecting. I have been collecting for 40 years and have some really awesome cards. What i don't understand is why did PSA jack the prices and grade less cards for the price. I understand you are crazy busy but all that is going to do is defer all your regular customers. i was hoping to build monster sets and just have fun like the rest, but at 20 bucks a card minimum 10 cards and have to wait over 8 months to get them back is just disgusting in my eyes. New owner, new prices. Talk about greed!!!!! I have at least another 500 cards i want to send, but not at these prices. Its almost cheaper just buying them already graded. SIGH* Just my 2 cents! Might just start sending to Beckett. Thanks new owner of PSA. Great way to loose all your regulars!!!!!!!!!

    Welcome to the boards Big_Al!

    I think the posters here should understand that PSA has just experienced an unbelievable business success. That's what they are a business, and now under new ownership, so don't for a minute think prices are going down.

    If they are receiving 100,000 cards per day even with higher prices and the elimination of vouchers and specials, there is certainly no reason for them to lower prices or expand. It would be idiotic to do so right after purchasing a business.

    The grading situation right now is all about grading high dollar cards or grading low(er) dollar cards at a higher cost/faster turnaround level, and the turnarounds are still going to be fairly long.

    I luckily submitted cards at the $9.00 fee level and they have had them for 9 months (just went to the grading phase), I am not thrilled with the wait and I am worried I will be obliterated on grades. My real worry (other than I'll die before I get my cards back) is that they are going to "tighten up" the grading and drastically reduce the amount of 10's they give out. Too many 10's could hurt the grading business?

    Like it or not, this is the new reality. What I am hoping for is a gradual decrease in submissions, so all the submission levels are available and turnarounds get better. If PSA continues to get this much business, don't count on it. Don't believe for a minute prices are going to drop anytime soon.

    I will (im)patiently await the results of my submission. Since I don't have many $500.00+ cards in hand to be graded, it may be my last.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

    The way it looks to me is PSA is not the only one raising prices!! I just checked their (Beckett's) pricing structure before I started typing this reply. Economy level is $20 for no sub grades and $35 if you want the subgrades. Doesn't sound any different to me. It's funny; I came to PSA because Beckett made me wait for 16 months to supposedly get an easy relabel. No different than now with PSA. I am serious thinking about changing to CSG, as 98% of my cards are Yankees PC. I truly believe everyone thinks PSA is the bee's knees so they don't give a crap for us little people who would be lucky to grade 200 a year.

Sign In or Register to comment.