Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Help with OPC Gretzky RC grading estimate and PSA submission/pricing Q's

TheINCTheINC Posts: 4
edited March 23, 2021 11:03PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hey all, i'm new to this board and i've been out of the card scene since the mid-90s. I've had this Gretzky OPC RC since the late 80s - it was stored in a sleeve inside a screwdown case since the day I acquired it. I recently managed to fish it out of a storage box where it had been for the last 15 years (and had been forgotten about - couldn't find my mint Lemiuex RC sadly lol). I'm looking to get it graded with the purpose of selling it. The PSA is completely new to me and i'm pretty confused with the pricing scheme to get this card graded. I understand that I need to give a best estimate of the card and that's going to determine the pricing level I need to select from the PSA. From looking around on Ebay I think this card should grade out to probably a 5, but since it's a Gretzky that really makes the PSA grading cost jump to the highest level ($600). So i'm just looking for some well seasoned eyes to tell me what the approx grade is so I can figure out the right pricing level to select from PSA.

I also have a couple other questions;

• I took the card out of the screw case since I understand that PSA won't take screw cases, and i've put it inside a top loader (still in the sleeve) but apparently I would need to get a Card Saver 1 to send this in?
  • Would selling this card ungraded be advisable? I actually have an offer of $3500 USD for the card ungraded, with the understanding that if the buyer (who's going to put it up for auction), gets over $4000 for the card we split the profit. Would this be an avenue to go down? I personally feel that I need to get the card graded to know exactly what value i'm dealing with (and increase the value), along with for authentication purposes.
  • Is getting the card graded by BGS an option or is PSA the only way to go for grading this card?

I've attached some pics the best I can (light glare is a pain) - the corners are a bit scuffed, the bottom right being the worst, but it's centered, no real color washout, and no print artifacts aside from something going on with the "R" in Oilers.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the board! IMO it will probably grade in the 3.5-4 range. Based on that, I would take the $3500 offer and let them take care of the grading.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the card pixelated, or is that just the photo?

• @daltex said:
    Is the card pixelated, or is that just the photo?

Thats from zooming in on my phone to get close-ups of the corners. The glare was problematic to get the corners without zooming.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA Chaz

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards!

Nice card!!!

Take the $3500.00, especially if you get lucky and it gets over $4000 and you split the profit.

Complete no brainer as I see it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

Run, don't walk and grab that $3500 USD. I doubt it would get a PSA 5. Also, since it was in the screwdown, it might be smashed and won't get a grade, could be min size too, better measure it.... Take the money and run, let the sucker deal with it.... Plan on the $3500 being all you get. If for some reason it sells well at auction and you get a cut, count your blessings!

I was going to ask if there was an agreement on what happens if it doesn't grade?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TheINCTheINC Posts: 4
    edited March 24, 2021 6:04PM

@JoeBanzai said:
    I was going to ask if there was an agreement on what happens if it doesn't grade?

There's nothing in the agreement about it being graded, the deal is he would give me $3500 upfront, put it up for auction, and we'd split the profit if it sells over $4k. But nothing specific about whether he's even going to get it graded at all.

@TheINC said:

@JoeBanzai said:

There's nothing in the agreement about it being graded, the deal is he would give me $3500 upfront, put it up for auction, and we'd split the profit if it sells over $4k. But nothing specific about whether he's even going to get it graded at all.

Thanks, just wondering.

• Like others have said don't think twice. Take the money and run run run

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't sell it raw to the buyer with all these strings attached. If he wants it for $3,500, tell him that's it, no strings attached, if it sells for more he keeps it all, if there is an issue with it or it doesn't grade, he eats it. Once sale happens at 3500, it's over and done and everyone walks away.

I'd even tell him you'll take $3250, no strings attached if he balks at the above.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

@TheINC said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Thanks, just wondering.

• Selling it ungraded aside (since the offer hasn't been finalized) what would be the grading route to take? Meaning what should I estimate the grade as? Thanks for the input!

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2021 10:16PM

Just $2499 max and pay $150 to grade it. If in a hurry, pay $300 and declare $4999

• winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

Take the 3500 a forget about the rest. I doubt more money is coming.
    Grading costs including shipping’s and insurance is around 250 dollars
    Selling in any venue from 4000 cots to owner about 500 dólares in commission.( if sale is for 5000 owner get 4300 only.)
    So in fact the real cost for new owner is $ 4250. So he need to sell for much more than to=hat to get some profit, and Imdont see much room for more money

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Run, Forrest!

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

I would certainly take the money and run. I don't think it's a 5.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.