Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading Cards that were included in a magazine

Found a regional and obscure magazine that has a sheet of cards of several athletes and while not perforated, they are definitely cards (and listed as cards in the magazine).

None of these cards have been graded before and wondering... what is the best way to submit for authentication and grading? I do have a few copies and was considering sending in both a card and the whole magazine. Which also leads to another question.... best way to remove the card from the sheet for grading (reminder - not perforated, so would need to be cut).

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need more information and scans.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Following out of curiosity and self interest as I have two of these, specifically for Mike Tyson. TIA as well. POP report for the Tyson card, not in the sheet but either hand cut or not specified as how it was cut says there are no 10s recorded out of

19 total graded. 13 9's, one 8, rest 7 and below.

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

I have a Tyson in house now. Hoping for that 1st 10

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

That is exactly the type of card sheet in the magazine.... 3x3 rows of cards (all different athletes), very thick stock with front and back text... totally designed to be treated as a 'trading card'

I will show scans later on as I do not want to spoil my advantage. Been sitting on this magazine for over 10 years and bought extras when they came up. The athlete has since risen to the top of the sport and the magazine card came out before their first rookie release card.... but in same year (Magazine came out 6 months prior to the athlete's first trading card in a major topps release).

@weaselpuppy said:
    Following out of curiosity and self interest as I have two of these, specifically for Mike Tyson. TIA as well. POP report for the Tyson card, not in the sheet but either hand cut or not specified as how it was cut says there are no 10s recorded out of

19 total graded. 13 9's, one 8, rest 7 and below.

• Options

@OAKESY25 said:

How did you remove the card? That is the challenge I am facing... I do have spares

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’re the Tuff Stuff Jr cards licensed?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    We’re the Tuff Stuff Jr cards licensed?

Will let the other posters speak about the Tuff Stuff cards... the magazine cards I am referring to are not lic by the league he entered but cover his activities in the sport prior to the call up.

• Options

A total of 91 of those Tuff Stuff Junior cards have been graded.

Must have been licensed, logos are visible.

@Crashingwaves said:

@OAKESY25 said:

That would be a huge card! Good luck.

How did you remove the card? That is the challenge I am facing... I do have spares

I use a metal ruler and a sharp xacto knife.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I am thinking of using the old school (literally) swing arm blade paper cutter with the grid lines on the metal flatbed area...I have access to one....need to do some measuring first...

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

metal ruler here as well with a safety razor, I didnt like the exacto as I broke tips too easily. I have been doing post cereal and hostess cards for years. I have a thin plastic mat type thing I use so I dont kill my desk. I think it was meant for cutting food.

• Options

Hope you get the 10 buddy, that would be killer.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2021 8:46PM

@weaselpuppy said:
    I am thinking of using the old school (literally) swing arm blade paper cutter with the grid lines on the metal flatbed area...I have access to one....need to do some measuring first...

Be careful there! If blade is dull or you are not good at it, those can tear the cardstock!!!

@OAKESY25 said:
    metal ruler here as well with a safety razor, I didnt like the exacto as I broke tips too easily. I have been doing post cereal and hostess cards for years. I have a thin plastic mat type thing I use so I dont kill my desk. I think it was meant for cutting food.

I use the new Zirconium Nitride blades, they are phenomenal!!!! My wife gave me one of those food cutting mats too, they work well.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP, your first issue will be getting PSA to even recognize these for grading on an obscure, regional issue. Some basic info that would help:

• Is there a checklist available anywhere (Beckett, TCDB, Standard Catalog, etc.)?
    • Is this the only issue of the magazine with cards?
    • What sport? At least this might help if it's a multi-sport or non-big 3 in the mag. Especially if the answer to the prior two is "No".

I'll be happy to advise on how to communicate with PSA to get this graded, but this is what you need to think about before worrying about how to cut (of which I think there are several threads on here I can dig up). WCK and dytch2220 had some great info on their process, equipment, and grades.

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    OP, your first issue will be getting PSA to even recognize these for grading on an obscure, regional issue. Some basic info that would help:

• Is there a checklist available anywhere (Beckett, TCDB, Standard Catalog, etc.)?

That's half the battle right there. I sold a set of 1996 Legends of the Negro Leagues Playing Cards to a board member , geeze, nine years ago prior to PSA grading them. They were listed in the yearly price guides and I had an article from a 1997 Sports Collectors Digest which stated print run and who made them and provided that to the buyer and initially that didn't work to get PSA to grade them.

So every so often I have come to the boards looking to see if these ever became something that would be slabbed which is why I popped up here within the past couple weeks as I was still interested to see what became of the effort on this particular set of cards and see they now slab them. Not sure when they started but glad that someone was able to convince them on this set.

I know, I ramble. So skip over all that and do as LarkinCollector is suggesting in that concentrate on getting PSA to recognize them. They may not at first so looks like patience and persistence can pay off.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

• Is this the only issue of the magazine with cards?
    • What sport? At least this might help if it's a multi-sport or non-big 3 in the mag. Especially if the answer to the prior two is "No".

I'll be happy to advise on how to communicate with PSA to get this graded, but this is what you need to think about before worrying about how to cut (of which I think there are several threads on here I can dig up). WCK and dytch2220 had some great info on their process, equipment, and grades.

Great advise! A friend and fellow collector who also owns one of the magazines is speaking with a contact at PSA right now. It is a very big long shot... as there is no checklist and it might be the only issue with cards. The publication did not last long

Just 1-2 years ago, I would not have made the effort but seems PSA is expanding what they grade... so it is worth a shot.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crashingwaves said:

@OAKESY25 said:

I can't say because I do not want to spoil my advantage.

• Options

I use this product with great results. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MP9JQ4W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The key is using your eye to line up the card edge with the blade. Always give a little more border around the edge of the card outside it's "lined" border. PSA needs to see that to give it a good grade. Keep the borders consistent around the sides of the card as you cut. Line it up and press down on clear handle to keep it steady. Tip - make sure card edge is nice and flat before you cut along that edge. Any bump or raised edge/corner will make the blade catch and start ripping which you don't want. Strategize how you want to cut to make it easier. Sometimes, you may have to sacrifice a card or two to get a good line on the desired card.

• Options

In my experience I would absolutely positively not use this ^ on any card worth a lot of money.

As mentioned can tear the card. Blade will also get dull at some point.

Cutting paper dulls blades very quickly.

Just my .02