Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Would you sell a $500k card on Ebay?

Not sure why someone would sell this on Ebay (with $645 in shipping, ha!). Why wouldn't you sell it through a auction house? Am I missing some big reason to do this on Ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-National-Chicle-Bronko-Nagurski-ROOKIE-RC-34-PSA-8-5-NM-MT/224384782686?hash=item343e60115e:g:RwwAAOSwGm1gTPos

Comments

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Oh wait, forget it. I just saw it's through PWCC Vault. That makes a little more sense.

Beautiful card. I'm betting that half point from mint drove them crazy.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

if you buy it before they stop eBay discontinues the 1% standard eBay Bucks, you can get back $100 in eBay Bucks B)

I wonder if eBay cringes at these large sales -- aren't the eBay seller fees capped at just a few hundred bucks for a seller like PWCC?

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2021 5:32PM

only after the funds are available / I can’t imagine waiting on a 21 day hold or something. If it’s through PWCC I wouldn’t have any issues.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:
    if you buy it before they stop eBay discontinues the 1% standard eBay Bucks, you can get back $100 in eBay Bucks B)

I wonder if eBay cringes at these large sales -- aren't the eBay seller fees capped at just a few hundred bucks for a seller like PWCC?

No. It's a prestige thing. If eBay can tell people that it is the place to auction million dollar collectibles, it'll get a lot more eyeballs.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol no

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

If I had a half million dollar card, I wouldnt be selling cards on ebay to begin with

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do covet that card! Maybe in a dream I can find it at an Estate sale or a barn find.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I’d love to sell that card on eBay for 500k.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

the crazy thing is, with the run up on prices the last year, this is a question many of us have to ask ourselves. I don't have anything worth 1/2MM, but now stuff I have had for years is worth significantly more now than it was. I have sold a 6k item on ebay, but I personally wouldn't go too much higher than that. if I sold anything much higher than 30k i would seriously consider a face to face. you could hop on a plane for cheaper than ebay fees on a big ticket item and have a lot less worry.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2021 5:02AM

@craig44 said:
    the crazy thing is, with the run up on prices the last year, this is a question many of us have to ask ourselves. I don't have anything worth 1/2MM, but now stuff I have had for years is worth significantly more now than it was. I have sold a 6k item on ebay, but I personally wouldn't go too much higher than that. if I sold anything much higher than 30k i would seriously consider a face to face. you could hop on a plane for cheaper than ebay fees on a big ticket item and have a lot less worry.

capped fees w store. beats even pwcc's lowest threshold or even a 4sc introductory 5% rate.

i've sold a couple of $100k+ cards on ebay and for the most part went off w/o a hitch. the problem is wading thru all the low ballers, blow hearts and stupid messages to finally get it sold.

as for the higher dollar thresholds, usually that clientele is concrete. they due their due diligence, they ask multiple questions and once they've paid, there's an extremely and i mean extremely low chance of getting hit w a return. in fact, i never have had a return on a card over $20k that i can remember.

i'm much more comfortable selling big ticket items all day long vs $100 - $1000 items.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 6:08AM

@blurryface

i've sold a couple of $100k+ cards on ebay and for the most part went off w/o a hitch.

Nice...got a favorite?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @blurryface

_ i've sold a couple of $100k+ cards on ebay and for the most part went off w/o a hitch._

Nice...got a favorite?

i do. 😉

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @blurryface

_ i've sold a couple of $100k+ cards on ebay and for the most part went off w/o a hitch._

Nice...got a favorite?

i do. 😉

That’s a koi pond.

Because you are being Koi.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

gotta admit, this gave me a hearty chuckle out loud!!!

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Agree 💯

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

capped fees w store. beats even pwcc's lowest threshold or even a 4sc introductory 5% rate.

i've sold a couple of $100k+ cards on ebay and for the most part went off w/o a hitch. the problem is wading thru all the low ballers, blow hearts and stupid messages to finally get it sold.

as for the higher dollar thresholds, usually that clientele is concrete. they due their due diligence, they ask multiple questions and once they've paid, there's an extremely and i mean extremely low chance of getting hit w a return. in fact, i never have had a return on a card over $20k that i can remember.

i'm much more comfortable selling big ticket items all day long vs $100 - $1000 items.

true about capped fees. Honestly, I am more concerned with USPS/fedex/UPS than anything else. I would seriously not trust any of those with a card over 20k. probably not with a card worth over 10K. stuff gets lost too often and even with a 3rd party insurer, things can sometimes get sticky on big claims like that.

personally, shipping high-value cards gives me shivers.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2021 7:12AM

@craig44 said:

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

true about capped fees. Honestly, I am more concerned with USPS/fedex/UPS than anything else. I would seriously not trust any of those with a card over 20k. probably not with a card worth over 10K. stuff gets lost too often and even with a 3rd party insurer, things can sometimes get sticky on big claims like that.

fedex standard overnight for as few hands as possible and personal gps tracking devices can be had and taped discreetly inside the box for as little as $14.99 on amazon.

agree, i would NEVER use usps and never had to use ups, thank goodness.

• Options

I havent used fedex yet. before the big bump of the last year, when I considered a 5-6k sale a big one, I always used USPS registered mail.

super slow, but, at least for me they always got there. I have heard horror stories even with RM though.

In this Bull market, if I were to sell a card for 50K, I would absolutely get on a plane and have it on my person.

Im sure that is a little OCD, but for me, it would be worth the time and effort.

• Options
    PatriotPatPatriotPat Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

Not a chance

• Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

No, especially after my experience selling a $1200 card.

Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I've sold and bought cards up to about $6k. I certainly get a bit nervous doing both. Not sure how I'd feel about a $500k card. I think I'd leave that to the pros.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

fedex standard overnight for as few hands as possible and personal gps tracking devices can be had and taped discreetly inside the box for as little as $14.99 on amazon.

Do you have a link for the GPS devices? I'm intrigued.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2021 12:26PM

@daltex said:

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

@blurryface said:

@craig44 said:

Do you have a link for the GPS devices? I'm intrigued.

something like this. not sure if it's the exact. i usually buy 100 or so at a time. we ship very high valued packages of medicine that must be temperature controlled. so we add them into those shipments. the by product is me using them for things like cards!

https://www.amazon.com/Real-time-Tracker-Worldwide-Coverage-Portable/dp/B07N4DHFZM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=gps+tracker&qid=1616008011&sr=8-3

eta: ours are called orca's. used w orcascan app. app is $99 per year but you can add up to 25 gps units at one time. so perhaps not ideal for a 1 time ship i guess. but for us it's very dependable not only for shipments but company vehicles as well. you can also create your own barcode stickers for inventory purposes or add to a box and each time it gets scanned it will send you notification thru the app. pretty cool stuff.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    something like this. not sure if it's the exact. i usually buy 100 or so at a time. we ship very high valued packages of medicine that must be temperature controlled. so we add them into those shipments. the by product is me using them for things like cards!

This looks very interesting. If I put one in the package, how do I get it back from the buyer? Do you put it in a SASE and ask the buyer to drop it in the mail? Or are they "disposable"? A $15 investment is nothing if selling a 5 or 6-figure card...

• Options
    edited March 17, 2021 1:40PM

@DotStore said:

@blurryface said:

This looks very interesting. If I put one in the package, how do I get it back from the buyer? Do you put it in a SASE and ask the buyer to drop it in the mail? Or are they "disposable"? A $15 investment is nothing if selling a 5 or 6-figure card...

we don't get them back. $15 is well worth the piece of mind. fedex tracking is good but you can set features to log it's position every 5 -15 mins. if anything goes awry, it's pretty easy to pinpoint culprits or misdeliveries. had one instance where a medical package was delivered to the wrong address. had it gone missing or spoiled it coulda cost 5 figs. we were able to send a tech from the hospital inpatient pharmacy to go down the road, pick it up w/ 15 feet precision thus making it on time for the surgery that was planned a few hours later. ever since then, i consider them all paid for! fedex woulda never gone back in time, nor would we had known exactly where it was to do anything about it. all we woulda had to go off of was a scribbly sig and a first initial last name.