Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Philippines Under US Administration Coinage

Just came across this in my desk. Tried different backgrounds and lighting to try to capture the toning.

I picked up a lot of Philippine coins about 10 years ago when I was putting together a type set of Philippines under US Administration coins. I have a partial date/mm set of peso coins, sans the 1906. It was aninteresting little side project.

Just curious if anyone else collects these coins.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019

Comments

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have examples of clips for each of the denominations save the Peso, and I still have part of a roll of beautifully toned 10 centavo pieces that I bought on a whim. I also have the Whitman Bookshelf type album, which is quite scarce and commands a hefty premium when offered. Someday I'd like to fill it, I've always thought these designs were magnificent.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't have anything from the US Administration in the Philippines but always on the look out for such coins

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I just like the design... was drawn to it, along with the history behind the coins. Like I said, it was a fun little side project. I might try to find some upgrades.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dad served in the Philippines during the war and brought back a few of the 1944-45 coins. I wish I knew where I put them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my representative. It's a PCGS slabbed PR64 RB and was found in a junk box for a buck.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Collecting these coins for 45 years.
    With Number one registry sets, PCGS AND NGC
    SIXTH ARMY, WESTERN PACIFIC FORCE respectively.
    They are finally getting the respect they deserve. Prices moving up.
    Many dates are decidely scarce in MS65 and above. Quite a challenge.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2021 2:20AM

1917-S 10 Centavos - by Charles Barber and Melecio Figueroa - Broadstruck

I got this because I love errors and the USPI coins.

Ray Czahor had an amazing error collection but I don't think this is from his collection.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2021 2:18AM

1920 (M) Wilson Dollar - Opening of the Manila Mint - Silver - by George Thomas Morgan - HK-449

This is a commemoration of opening of the US Mint in Manila. I'm a fan of the USPI and So-Called Dollars so this is doubly nice.

• Options

1902-S/S/S US Philippines Peso - Fantasy Date Overstrike - Off-Center Double Struck Error

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    1902-S/S/S US Philippines Peso - Fantasy Date Overstrike - Off-Center Double Struck Error

Is this overstruck on a genuine Peso?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2021 9:12AM

@CaptHenway said:

@Zoins said:

Is this overstruck on a genuine Peso?

Yes, it is overstruck on a genuine 1903 or 1904 Philippine Peso.

These are listed in the Honeycutt reference:

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I would love to have those albums! Thanks for sharing those. I am very jealous!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 those albums are so cool! I’m quite envious. You probably got them at the right time, too, as I bet they would be far more expensive now.

Here’s my picture contribution to the thread...

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO these are highly collectable: Attractive designs, US mint made, relatively short series, no major rarities (except 1906-S Peso) and not terribly expensive for their numbers extant.

• Options

"no major rarities"?
    After 45 years collecting these I still do not have a complete date set in a slabbed UNC grade
    2 coins short at AU58 each.
    There have been to my long knowledge of them maybe two possibly three sets in all UNC grades.
    Look at the registry sets, many sets have some coins in less than UNC grades.
    Further Anything 1930 or earlier in MS65 Is Scarce to say the least.
    Now you need deep pockets to buy the set in this grade or better. IF you can find and fight for them.
    You better be a young rich man to try. Most bourse floors and I have patrolled hundreds of them
    the Philippines disappear the first days even Hours.

There are dates in UNC that exist in very small quantities compared to US twentieth century key dates.
    Good Luck~

• Options
    edited April 18, 2021 2:46PM

Great coins everyone. Love the Peso from @FilamCoins.

This is one of my favorite series and one of the first coins I picked up when I got back into collecting :+1:

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likey!

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    My Dad served in the Philippines during the war and brought back a few of the 1944-45 coins. I wish I knew where I put them.

My father was USAAF in the South Pacific during WWll and brought home several of these coins along with some occupation money, Some of the occupation currency was part of his "Short Snorter".

• Options
    edited April 18, 2021 7:06PM

Took me about 10 years to complete my USPI circulated date set. In XF-AU. Including all the rare mules and key dates.
    My 1906-S peso is in ANACS fine condition. Scarce in such a lower grade . Only seen 3 others in such.
    I have some in the albums shown in the previous post. In Danscos, and pesos in a custom made capital holder.
    Just finished it this year. Even prices on circs have gone up.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2021 8:39AM

@krueger said:
    Took me about 10 years to complete my USPI circulated date set. In XF-AU. Including all the rare mules and key dates.
    My 1906-S peso is in ANACS fine condition. Scarce in such a lower grade . Only seen 3 others in such.
    I have some in the albums shown in the previous post. In Danscos, and pesos in a custom made capital holder.
    Just finished it this year. Even prices on circs have gone up.

Congrats! That's a great accomplishment!

10 years is a great journey. Why did you pick this series?

• Options
    edited May 3, 2021 8:39AM

Does any one collect the Culion coins with USPI coinage? They were struck at the Manila Mint under US administration.

1920 was the first year that Culion Leper Colony coins were struck at the newly opened U.S. Manila Mint. The 1920 Culion Leper Colony issue consisted of Ten Centavos, Twenty Centavos, and One Peso coins, all of which were struck in aluminum.

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/coinview.aspx?sc=344783

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭

1945S FIVE CENTAVOS
    Struck Off Center at San Francisco Mint

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Yes my favorite series!

• Options

From Zoins:

Congrats! That's a great accomplishment!

10 years is a great journey. Why did you pick this series?

My Father served in the Philippines . Leyte landings (Oct 1944), Return of MacArthur.
    Brought back coins ( 1944-S 50 centavos) and Currency (one and two peso victory notes ).
    These were distributed to the soldiers to spend, many came home as souvenirs.
    When given these I was hooked. Father (lead Tech sergeant in an Ordnace company) made the brass five Stars for MacArthur's Limo ( front Plate) when he was promoted to 5 star general over there.

Krueger

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have experienced, my father served in the South Pacific during WWII and brought back four 1944-S one-centavo coins. All are around BN 63-64, worth about $5.00 apiece raw.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

Great history @krueger and @Barberian! I work with a lot of people from the Philippines. I'd love to visit some time.

• Options

If ANA Chicago comes off Aug. 2021 I will be there. I always Attend the Philippine Collectors Forum (PCF) meeting ( 18th year)
    Friday at 1pm. I may present as sometimes I have in the past.
    Also attend Long Beach shows in California. maybe open again in September??

Krueger

• Options
    edited May 4, 2021 8:40AM

How well known are Robert Harris and Matthew Savanich in USPI circles? I've heard their names mentioned with respect to Philippine coins. Do they have any registry sets?

• Options

I have met Robert and know Matt as I have done business with him a number of times.
    Both great guys.
    Unknown if they have registry sets.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file