Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading help for vintage and modern basketball/baseball cards

Appreciate all the help in advance. Since I'm new to this, still trying to understand grading process, especially given the cost (didn't originally realize PSA7-10 were essentially varying degrees of mint to my eyes). Found some old baseball cards in my dad's collection, I'm guessing none of them are worth grading due to condition? Also, for post-1980 cards, it sounds like none of them are worth grading (unless due to rare exception. I've shown some images of cards, do you think any of these are worth grading since pre-1980 cards are in used condition, and the post-1980 cards need to get extremely high grades.

Comments

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

The first pic, I'd say all those are 4's at best and probably lower with the Chamberlain/Walton on the right also getting a ST qualifier. The bottom right Robertson might be just a bit better, 5ish.

The Jordans in the next two pics are hard to tell. Being more modern, they'd need to grade 8+ to make it worthwhile.

The vintage baseball, again, I'd say most of them max out at a 4. The ones I'd consider grading out of that group would be the Aparicio (because it's his RC) (PSA 3-4OC), Seaver (PSA 5).

The last pic of rookies, again, they'd need to get a high grade 8+ to make most worthwhile. Hard to tell from those pics, but the Rodman and Pippen, and maybe the McGwire are OC which would really hurt their value.

You could go through ebays complete sales for some of those and, for example, see what a PSA 5 '71 Tom Seaver sells for to get an idea of value and if it's worth it for you to spend the money on grading fees. Personally, I don't think many are worth getting graded as far as resale value, but if you're going to keep them for nostalgia and sentimental attachment since they were your fathers and you want them encapsulated for better protection, then overall resale value might not be as big of a concern for you.

You definitely have some nice cards and some big names though!

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

That Pippen will get an OC Off Center Qualifier for sure, likely 8 OC, Miller less sure but 50/50, same Rodman. The Stockton looks nice and has a good shot at 9. That Jordan 88 sticker looks like a max 7, while the base looks like it has a swinging chance at 9 and the All Star 7-8 area. 89 Jordan's 8-9. 90 fleer looks really nice 9-10?, 90 Skybox 8-9.

• Options

Thank you for all the help! I've been looking at 20,000+ cards so I've been taking out the stars. I have to say though, of all the cards I've looked at, the 1972 Topps basketball are classic and look like something you can find in a modern art museum (just wish they were in better shape!)

I still just don't have a great sense of PSA 7 vs. 8, which seems like make or break distinction for the modern cards, even when I look at ebay listings.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@lssportscards said:
    Thank you for all the help! I've been looking at 20,000+ cards so I've been taking out the stars. I have to say though, of all the cards I've looked at, the 1972 Topps basketball are classic and look like something you can find in a modern art museum (just wish they were in better shape!)

I still just don't have a great sense of PSA 7 vs. 8, which seems like make or break distinction for the modern cards, even when I look at ebay listings.

Unfortunately that comes with experience. And sometimes we are surprised as well.

Some nice cards there. If you post your location perhaps some friendly face from the board would be able to look at some of the cards for you and give advice.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS