Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New stimulus tax law?

It looks like a new tax law could be coming where the ebay 20k and 200 transactions goes away and the new limit will now be anything over $600..

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/05/gig-workers-coronavirus-relief-bill-losers-473902

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

consignor twin rings, activate!

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Do consigners send customers 1099's?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@blurryface said:

Do consigners send customers 1099's?

i can not speak for all of them, but most do not. as of now.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    It looks like a new tax law could be coming where the ebay 20k and 200 transactions goes away and the new limit will now be anything over $600..

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/05/gig-workers-coronavirus-relief-bill-losers-473902

It's been this way in Mass for a few years now. I moved to selling a lot of cards through facebook groups. Luckily I've built up a good rep most everybody will pay via Venmo or Paypal friends and family. Those are off the books.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Well, I guess they have to recover that 1.9 trillion some how

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭

In 2020, Ilinois went to 1099's for anything over $1,000.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2021 6:01AM

@erba said:

@coolstanley said:

It's been this way in Mass for a few years now. I moved to selling a lot of cards through facebook groups. Luckily I've built up a good rep most everybody will pay via Venmo or Paypal friends and family. Those are off the books.

be very careful on your paypal doing friends and family. they have gone thru and shut down 1000s of folks doing this the past couple of months. not only that, they are holding any monies for 6 months while deducting their fees both from the buyer and sellers for the past 12 months they deem abusive the the terms of agreement you accepted. this is absolutely no joke and 100% verified. i have a very close personal friend that has his paypal account locked down purely for sending $100k on one transaction via fnf to pay for a card.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

more and more is going to be happening through FB groups and face-to-face transactions.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I wonder if trading will become more common. I hate the thought of paying taxes, because whenever I sell something, I am basically trading it. everything i sell just gets turned around and put back into my PC.

It is easier to sell and then purchase what i want than to search out a trade partner who has what i want and is willing to trade for what I have.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

be very careful on your paypal doing friends and family. they have gone thru and shut down 1000s of folks doing this the past couple of months. not only that, they are holding any monies for 6 months while deducting their fees both from the buyer and sellers for the past 12 months they deem abusive the the terms of agreement you accepted. this is absolutely no joke and 100% verified. i have a very close personal friend that has his paypal account locked down purely for sending $100k on one transaction via fnf to pay for a card.

The $100K was probably above some automatic "threshold" to take a closer look... But in general, yea I can see this happening as PayPal definitely wants their fees.

What always surprises me is that buyers would send as "friends and family" to complete strangers (with no recourse if the seller scams them). I guess if you have a good "rating" then it makes more sense, but how do you get a good rating if you never sold on that platform before???

• Options
    edited March 8, 2021 8:54AM

most people send venmo on instagram. which basically has zero recourse similar to fnf. scammers are outted pretty quick. i sold a 9k card there the other day and guy venmoed me instantly. was shocked. of course, i'm not a scammer. but still. i know i wouldn't have sent w/o protection.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Paypal owns Venmo, in case anyone thought the one hand didn't talk to the other.

• Options

I wonder if Ebay and Mercari will take a huge hit to business if this part of the bill gets passed and once people realize over $600 in sales will be reported. My thought is yes, but it might take time. If Ebay could start collecting and paying income tax for sellers on their platform, that would be cool. Maybe if you enter your basis it could calculate taxes on profit from that sale and send a payment over to the IRS? This is 2021, there is no reason taxes, voting, etc can't all be automated by now.

• Options

everything will.

ebay, mecari, etsy, airbnb and so forth.

thank god political jargon isn't allowed here.

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

I cannot tell if this is expected to go into effect in 2021 or 2022 Wouldn't it be a challenge for the platforms to implement this in the middle of the current tax year?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Autos4Alex said:
    I cannot tell if this is expected to go into effect in 2021 or 2022 Wouldn't it be a challenge for the platforms to implement this in the middle of the current tax year?

According to the provision in the legislation quoted in this article, it appears that if approved as is, it will take effect for transactions after December 31, 2021.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/3/1615153514.html

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like working around 200/20k this year might be a smart pursuit

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please contact your personal tax expert for real advice, but even if you don't get a 1099, any earnings from the sale of sportscards should still be declared.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Please contact your personal tax expert for real advice, but even if you don't get a 1099, any earnings from the sale of sportscards should still be declared.

Yes, it pays to keep good records.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@blurryface said:
    most people send venmo on instagram. which basically has zero recourse similar to fnf. scammers are outted pretty quick. i sold a 9k card there the other day and guy venmoed me instantly. was shocked. of course, i'm not a scammer. but still. i know i wouldn't have sent w/o protection.

A new Paypal policy within the last year or so. They don't refund the paypal fees (roughly 3%) on refunds.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    DJJazzBassDJJazzBass Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2021 8:07AM

Deleted

Hey Moose! Rocco! Help the Judge find his checkbook, will ya!
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

IBF

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2021 10:18AM

stop with the politics. we dont need this thread getting poofed

Thank you @craig44 - Todd

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Since the stimulus package is a done deal now does this make the new selling threshold law or does it still have to be voted on, debated etc. or is it a done deal also.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2021 11:38PM

@ElvisP said:
    Since the stimulus package is a done deal now does this make the new selling threshold law or does it still have to be voted on, debated etc. or is it a done deal also.

regardless, just like golf, you use the rules to your advantage. incorporate, apply for a resale cert (so you don't have to pay sales tax), use every tax benefit under the sun for small business. and there's ton of them from traveling to shows, to supplies, to utilities, insurance and the list goes on. just like anything else, it's not what it's worth it's how well you negotiate.

you wouldn't hit your golf ball off the cart path, right? why? because there's a rule stating you don't have to. you certainly can if you are that stupid. this is no different. use your club lengths, it's not that hard to set up.

• Options

The final version on the President's desk:
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/1319/text#toc-HFC2BE0682A5E4F71B689C5F9A98A4109

This does include modification to Section 6050W(e) of the Internal Revenue Code:

“(e) De Minimis Exception For Third Party Settlement Organizations.—A third party settlement organization shall not be required to report any information under subsection (a) with respect to third party network transactions of any participating payee if the amount which would otherwise be reported under subsection (a)(2) with respect to such transactions does not exceed $600.”.

(b) Clarification That Reporting Is Not Required On Transactions Which Are Not For Goods Or Services.—Section 6050W(c)(3) of such Code is amended by inserting “described in subsection (d)(3)(A)(iii)” after “any transaction”.

(c) Effective Date.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to returns for calendar years beginning after December 31, 2021.

(2) CLARIFICATION.—The amendment made by subsection (b) shall apply to transactions after the date of the enactment of this Act.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

You could read this as a single transaction of $60O or more not a total of sales.

• Options

I respectfully disagree. It refers to (a)(2) which says... Each payment settlement entity shall make a return for each calendar year setting forth- (2) the gross amount of the reportable payment transactions with respect to each such participating payee.

I mean, lets be real here, this is just a deterrent. You should already be reporting your profits from sales to the IRS on your tax return. This just makes it harder for people committing a crime by lying on their taxes, to get away with it.

• Options

i see no exclusions for auctions houses, correct?

• Options

I have a tax law background but have never worked with an auction house in large dollar sales. Do they issue 1099s currently for large volume customers? I would assume so? The new text doesn't seem to subtract or add any particular organizations from additional burdens other than the dollar amounts.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2021 12:57PM

@patrickahearnesq said:
    I have a tax law background but have never worked with an auction house in large dollar sales. Do they issue 1099s currently for large volume customers? I would assume so? The new text doesn't seem to subtract or add any particular organizations from additional burdens other than the dollar amounts.

most, if not all, do not at this timeframe.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@patrickahearnesq said:

How many Auction Houses are selling 200+ cards/$20k gross from 1 person in a particular year? I can't imagine there are many. Usually someone would send in 1 or 2 cards of value?

• Options

@patrickahearnesq said:

@blurryface said:

@patrickahearnesq said:

How many Auction Houses are selling 200+ cards/$20k gross from 1 person in a particular year? I can't imagine there are many. Usually someone would send in 1 or 2 cards of value?

you'd be very, very surprised. one set break destroys that.

• Options

So the 20,000 and 200 is good for 2021? And the 600.00 starts January 1 2022?

• Options

yes

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

As others implied, this is not something to fret about. Just to plan for/be smart with. NBD.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

2020 = sell, sell, sell
    2021 = mmm, maybe

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2021 6:13PM

I dont plan on selling anymore if this new tax law goes into effect. I will maybe look for a good consignor in the future if I decide to sell. Or maybe I will just hold on to my stuff for my collection.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    I plan on selling off all of the items I am willing to get rid of on my ebay account, since this is the last year of the 200/$20,000. Come January, I will send to a consignor to hopefully avoid the taxes.

Just an FYI, If you are a US taxpayer, it's not in your best interest to post statements like that lol.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

@thenavarro said:

@coolstanley said:
    I plan on selling off all of the items I am willing to get rid of on my ebay account, since this is the last year of the 200/$20,000. Come January, I will send to a consignor to hopefully avoid the taxes.

Just an FYI, If you are a US taxpayer, it's not in your best interest to post statements like that lol.

No doubt if I were a big fish. But since I barely make minimum wage, I doubt I would be worth their time :D

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@thenavarro said:

@coolstanley said:

No doubt if I were a big fish. But since I barely make minimum wage, I doubt I would be worth their time :D

In my day job as an attorney for the IRS Office of Chief Counsel, I've seen this type of stuff bite people regardless of income level.

You do you though.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@weaselpuppy said:
    I for one Love and Enjoy paying all of my fair share of taxes to help support this great country!

This guy gets it, play to the audience. Well done!

• Options

@weaselpuppy said:
    I for one Love and Enjoy paying all of my fair share of taxes to help support this great country!

and i love all the changes at psa right now!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    I dont plan on selling anymore if this new tax law goes into effect. I will maybe look for a good consignor in the future if I decide to sell. Or maybe I will just hold on to my stuff for my collection.

What on earth makes you think consignors would be exempt from this requirement?

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I wonder if trading will become more common. I hate the thought of paying taxes, because whenever I sell something, I am basically trading it. everything i sell just gets turned around and put back into my PC.

Barter transactions are not exempt from taxation. You would still need a 1099-B. I’ve seen this idea in other threads that a sale or disposition isn’t (or shouldn’t be) taxable because the proceeds go back into cards. That is not a position the IRS would agree with.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

This really shouldn't be a surprise. Ever since the "internet tax" for buyers kicked in on EVERY purchase big or small, why wouldn't the seller be next. I mean $600 seems a little low, but that's their call.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

$600 is the standard break point for employment based 1099s, though it hasn't been indexed in a loooooong time.