Home U.S. Coin Forum

YET ANOTHER USPS COIN DELIVERY QUESTION

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fellow collector said that he received an empty package from an eBay seller. Local PO says they have a pic of package retaped or whatever. I know we have some past and maybe current USPS employees here. When tracked mail changes possession at a stop along the way is there a picture taken of the package at each stop? Or just at the delivery point?

He thinks eBay should help him, but really once you accept it and open it what are they supposed to do? It's essentially his word against the seller's now. It's hard to refuse a package these days when there is so little face to face contact with delivery personnel. IMO the carrier should have noted that something was wrong with the package and given the recipient an opportunity to refuse it.

All he can do is file a complaint with the USPS which he did.

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    When I delivered mail and had a package like that, I would knock and ask the customer if they want to refuse it.

In addition, a visually damaged package should be stamped "Damaged in handling" by a clerk before delivery.

The current USPS doesn't act anything like the Postal Service I worked for.

Pete

That was my logic to my fellow collector. Told him to go to his PO and ask why he wasn't given a chance to refuse it. Apparently now the package is photographed at each stop and they have video evidence of tampering. Then again if it arrives back to the seller with refused written on it the onus would be on him to file a claim, no?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd file a claim with ebay also.

@Jimnight said:

he said that they were of no help since the package was delivered , but what can they do?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Jimnight said:

he said that they were of no help since the package was delivered , but what can they do?

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Jimnight said:

I accepted a package with a fake coin in it and had it for 8 weeks before I found out it was fake ... eBay got me my money back. I guess all cases are different.

In this case the coins were missing, but what control does eBay have over the USPS and the choice of carriers their sellers use?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

a fake coin is a SNAD case

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

get a police report for theft. it is a federal offence to steal mail.
    ebay will side with you if you have a report.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    A fellow collector said that he received an empty package from an eBay seller. Local PO says they have a pic of package retaped or whatever. I know we have some past and maybe current USPS employees here. When tracked mail changes possession at a stop along the way is there a picture taken of the package at each stop? Or just at the delivery point?

He thinks eBay should help him, but really once you accept it and open it what are they supposed to do? It's essentially his word against the seller's now. It's hard to refuse a package these days when there is so little face to face contact with delivery personnel. IMO the carrier should have noted that something was wrong with the package and given the recipient an opportunity to refuse it.

The sorting equipment takes a picture. It's automatic. No one looks at it unless an inquiry is made.

When I file a "missing mail" request, that's where they sometimes go for further information.

How do you tell a taped package from a "re-taped" package. I've been known to "re-tape" packages myself when I ship them.

@BAJJERFAN said:
    In this case the coins were missing, but what control does eBay have over the USPS and the choice of carriers their sellers use?

If the buyer files a claim, eBay will likely make both of them whole by either re-imbursing the buyer or the seller. eBay [LOVE EBAY] has seller protection which means they will guarantee you as long as delivery is made. If it has been scanned delivered, he should be fine.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

If the buyer files a claim, eBay will likely make both of them whole by either re-imbursing the buyer or the seller. eBay [LOVE EBAY] has seller protection which means they will guarantee you as long as delivery is made. If it has been scanned delivered, he should be fine.

would the seller get a ebay defect in this particular case?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

would the seller get a ebay defect in this particular case?

I don't know. The problem eBay has is that there is no way to confirm either version of events, short of a postal investigation with a definitive conclusion. eBay has Buyer and seller protection because they want both parties to be satisfied. I imagine it will have to wait for a USPS decision.

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

The sorting equipment takes a picture. It's automatic. No one looks at it unless an inquiry is made.

When I file a "missing mail" request, that's where they sometimes go for further information.

How do you tell a taped package from a "re-taped" package. I've been known to "re-tape" packages myself when I ship them.

As have I, but in this case the coins were missing. The usps reports it if they repair a package.

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

He said that eBay sort of told him to pound sand.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

He said that eBay sort of told him to pound sand.

Did the buyer open a case?

edited March 4, 2021 7:43AM

Not sure if he did that or called someone there. He did file a complaint with the USPS for what that's worth. No idea if seller insured the item.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    When I delivered mail and had a package like that, I would knock and ask the customer if they want to refuse it.

In addition, a visually damaged package should be stamped "Damaged in handling" by a clerk before delivery.

The current USPS doesn't act anything like the Postal Service I worked for.

Pete

Ain't that the truth!

• bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

You can sign up for informed delivery, which is an email with photo of your incoming mail for the day. https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigmountainlion said:
    You can sign up for informed delivery, which is an email with photo of your incoming mail for the day. https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Letter-sized first class mail. No pictures of, say, magazines or packages.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2021 10:47PM

A friend of mine came home from work, to find a pile of Christmas deliveries from Amazon, on their porch.
    Wrong addresses.
    They called Amazon, who said, they should keep them.
    I just found that to be a really strange business practice.
    I know UPS would never. Just an FYI

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Not sure if he did that or called someone there. He did file a complaint with the USPS for what that's worthwhile. No idea if seller insured the item.

You can't expect eBay to do anything unless there is a case pending. eBay doesn't insure the contents. However, eBay does guarantee that the seller is protected if the tracking shows delivered. If the buyer opens a case, the seller will be forced to settle but the scan showing delivery should result in eBay applying seller protection.

Of course, if USPS pays off the insurance, everyone's fine.

edited March 4, 2021 10:14AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Not sure if he did that or called someone there. He did file a complaint with the USPS for what that's worthwhile. No idea if seller insured the item.

You can't expect eBay to do anything unless there is a case pending. eBay doesn't insure the contents. However, eBay does guarantee that the seller is protected if the tracking shows delivered. If the buyer opens a case, the seller will be forced to settle but the scan showing delivery should result in eBay applying seller protection.

Of course, if USPS pays off the insurance, everyone's fine.

What about buyer protection? What does eBay do for the buyer who gets stiffed by either the seller or the carrier? eBay I guess told the buyer that since it was delivered that he was SOL.

Case opened online. He said that eBay closed the case in about a half hour.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file