Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

and boom goes the dynamite!

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to anybody who bought it at $14. Big time market cap at time of buyout. Hopefully new owners can infuse whatever is necessary for the supply and demand curves to meet a little better than today.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Durant is clearly a guy who wants to do lot more than be a basketball player - I am glad he is in the mix here. I had heard some chatter and this connected a few dots.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about conflicts of interest, though.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had 2 initial reactions to this news.
    1. That seems like a lot of conflicts of interest. I feel like this is an industry, especially right now with the amount of money flowing, where that is something you would want to avoid.
    2. That's a lot of potential wealth being inserted into the business, to hopefully grow it, change things, add technologies, make things better (wait times, pricing, etc.)

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I let out an audible "WOW" when I saw it locked at $92/share... congrats to the shareholders!

The conflict of interest did worry me at first, but if they hurt their own reputation then they stand to lose WAYYYYY more money than me, so I doubt that will happen.

I'm excited at the thought of having new energy at PSA, but not excited at the high price increase I'm hearing about. I haven't been able to find those increases yet, so if anyone here has info on that I would love to see it.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if the grading remains above board with Golden - I am sure they will be able to get your card to the front of the line to get graded if you list with them. This could shift other auction houses to Someone like CGC over time. I am sure they will be eager to legitimize their new sports card grading services. When PepsiCo bought YUM all other fast food chains moved to Coke. Competitors do not like giving business to their competition.

With the name athletes in the group I expect PSA to launch stuff similar to Upper Deck authentic. Get the items and authenticate and sell it directly to the collectors.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@PricePanic said:
    All these guys on this message board seem to be deep in the hobby. Do any of you know the people taking over?

https://sportscollectorsdaily.com/collectors-universe-deal-complete-new-investors-include-collectors-athletes/

I would think anybody taking over grading for PSA would be well known in the industry. Not an athlete.

I'm not sure Upper Deck did a good thing.

Why don't you guys send your cards to PWCC for grading? Or just trust their grade on raw cards similarly to PSA?

PWCC doesn't grade or sell raw cards

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not deep in the hobby and know (personally) none of those investing. What I hope to see is consistency, efficiency and credibility in the grading process. In my opinion PSA is good on 2 of the 3 right now. The efficiency problem at present is not entirely of their doing. Pandemic trickle down has hampered them. I may take heat for saying I believe their consistency and credibility in grading cards etc is in place. Nothing is 100% fool proof. If you have those 3 clicking that's all you need. The rest takes care of itself.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2021 2:38PM

no pp. the investment group has stake in goldin auctions. they will not be turning psa into a consignment house. just like kfc won't turn into a hatchery.

can you see where conflicting interests could align?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@PricePanic said:
    It's the same thing.

I believe Heritage Auctions is under the same umbrella as CGC. My research could be old though. Sounds shady to me. But, ya know, capitalism.

it's actually the exact opposite. you said they'd be turning psa into an auction house, right? i said they wouldn't. the only common denominator is the potential for nefarious activities to occur. but they most certainly wouldn't be that dumb to turn psa into an auction house.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

PSA is a money making machine.
    Smart investment group. Cohen is no rookie investor

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I trust my friends; and they trust theirs. Cautious always; but my BAU hobby and collection plans carry on.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    S:H :: P:G

And B:?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    S:H :: P:G

And B:?

B:Someone studied for the SAT recently :D Glad at least someone got it ;)

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@PricePanic said:
    It's the same thing.

I believe Heritage Auctions is under the same umbrella as CGC. My research could be old though. Sounds shady to me. But, ya know, capitalism.

it's actually the exact opposite. you said they'd be turning psa into an auction house, right? i said they wouldn't. the only common denominator is the potential for nefarious activities to occur. but they most certainly wouldn't be that dumb to turn psa into an auction house.

I was not aware of the Heritage/CGC relationship. Could not find anything on a quick search.

@blurryface - CGC started a sportscard grading service called CSC. No idea how their grading will be. Just know they are a major player in other collectibles (of which I do not collect).

• Options
    edited March 4, 2021 6:36AM

didnt figure it needed its own thread, but considering the athlete and celebrity status of the investment group, it seems it's boiling over to their friends.

ray allen apparently bought his logoman from goldin auctions. and it is expected that several other athletes are gonna start investing in themselves via cardboard.

eta: legit or paid influencing? it is goldin after all...

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoldinAuctions/status/1367143386306793472

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    didnt figure it needed its own thread, but considering the athlete and celebrity status of the investment group, it seems it's boiling over to their friends.

ray allen apparently bought his logoman from goldin auctions. and it is expected that several other athletes are gonna start investing in themselves via cardboard.

I suppose when you buy a card of yourself you at least can control doing something that may tank the value of the card (or potentially raise it). Good to see Ray in that pic always liked him. As far as Goldin it must be paid....

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@blurryface said:

I suppose when you buy a card of yourself you at least can control doing something that may tank the value of the card (or potentially raise it). Good to see Ray in that pic always liked him. As far as Goldin it must be paid....

that ain't ray. that's jesus! 😉