Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Crossover Grading Success?

For those that have had cards previously graded by CGC or BGS and sent them in for crossover grading at PSA, have you found that the initial grades remained the same after PSA has graded the card? For context, I am dealing with Pokemon cards, in case that matters.

Have you found that BGS 9.5 typically corresponds with PSA 10 or PSA 9 better?

When submitting, must I input a minimum estimated grade value or can I leave that blank?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 2:09PM

@tranzpokemanz said:
    For those that have had cards previously graded by CGC or BGS and sent them in for crossover grading at PSA, have you found that the initial grades remained the same after PSA has graded the card? For context, I am dealing with Pokemon cards, in case that matters.

Have you found that BGS 9.5 typically corresponds with PSA 10 or PSA 9 better?

When submitting, must I input a minimum estimated grade value or can I leave that blank?

I had done plenty of BGS 9.5 -> PSA 10 crosses in the past (no BGS subs below 9.5 and at least one 10) with 100% success. That has really tightened up in the past year though and I went 0/2 on my last BGS cross attempt (one with 3 9.5s & a 10, the other with 2 9.5s and 2 10 subs) and 0/2 on my last SGC cross attempt, SGC 9s to PSA 9s.

As a general rule for BGS attempts, I wouldn't expect any card to cross at higher than the lowest subgrade (rounding down any .5s).

Min grade keeps it in the current holder if the min grade is not met, you can roll the dice with no min grade, but it will be cracked out of it's current holder. If you're not specifying a min grade, it's best to crack yourself and submit raw, though that comes with it's own risks of either damaging the card during extraction or it coming back Min Size or EOT and never getting it back in any holder.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried to cross over about 20 BVG 7s or 8s and never once had it work. About 1/3rd of those I even said I'd accept .5 to 1 full grade lower and STILL didn't make the cut.

The only luck I've had is cracking the BVGs and sending them in raw. The 4 times I've done that, I've gotten them back at an equal grade to the BVG grade before I cracked them.