Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do I sell now and reap the benefits of the crazy market, or hold on to everything.

Have a good amount of unopened and also graded rookies (Aaron, Banks, Kaline, Reggie, Koufax etc.) I can make a huge profit on what I have into them. Or after the dust settles, will I be saying "I coulda, shoulda".

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a great time to clear out any duplication or excess and test the waters.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

Agree with this. It’s not a sell all or sell nothing kind of situation. I recently trimmed some fat and sold a few items for a nice profit. Other stuff I’m holding, hoping for more appreciation. And then I have a core PC I’ll never move.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

I think the biggest question is do you need to sell? maybe you want to fund something else in life , or your at a retirement age , that selling them to make it easier for your family not having to deal with your cards or possibly getting scammed is also understandable. I'm 47 and also have a sizable gain in profit from what I paid initially for my cards, but have really no intention on selling, mostly because there are still collections I would like to complete. I would only sell if I had to , definitely as LarkinCollector pointed out, a good time to clear out Duplicates.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

pull it out. if you dont have to have it or could sell it and get something you do love, whether it be a card or something else that makes your everyday life more enjoyable, sell it.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell if you have to. Keep if you want to.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US is 27 trillion dollars in debt, and it's malignantly growing.

Without going into a dissertation, inflation is coming, and in my opinion it's one reason why baseball card prices are rising, as a hedge against inflation.

i'm not sure because i don't follow it, but non CU type of collectibles are probably rising as well for similar reasons.

I don't see our government becoming fiscally responsible anytime soon, and i don't see collectibles going down in value anytime soon either.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question is would you be more disappointed if you could never afford to re-buy the cards or more disappointed if you didn't "cash out when I had the chance" if they were to go down in value. We all answer this question differently - but many on here have lamented selling cards they once owned that are now permanently out of their budget. Only you can weigh that question and make your decision. Nobody knows what they will be worth a year from now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never said oh man I should have sold back when. I routinely say why did I sell that??????? Yes, these are extreme circumstances and who knows where this lands?

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Marie Kondo would ask if the item gave you "spark joy"? If it does, then keep it.

I would suggest that you go with your gut.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I've sold a card here and there to pay a bill.
    It's never an easy decision. Trim back the excess, no one ever went broke taking profits.
    I wouldn't expect to buy back at a cheaper price tho; that's my historical experience

• Options
    BriantheTaxGuyBriantheTaxGuy Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 11:16AM

You won't be buying back at the same grade you're selling at any time soon, if ever. If you're not attached to the cards and don't ever plan to buy them back in the future, sell them now. With the way prices are escalating what you can buy an 8 today will be what you pay for a lower grade tomorrow.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

I have participated in a few of these crazy markets and my advice is to sell something.

If you have doubles or cards you are not too attached to, it is always nice to lock in some gains. Having watched millions in options disappear and also having missed out on hundreds of thousands by selling too early, I can say that for me losing out on millions with nothing to show for it left a more bitter taste than selling prematurely and missing some subsequent gains. Your mileage will vary but having been on both sides, I now always take some gains. We may still be in the beginnings of a boom but we are seeing years worth of appreciation occur in weeks as money chases different cards. There is nothing wrong with booking some of those gains especially if the cards being sold aren't particularly important to you.

Robb

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 11:57AM

Sell the stuff you hate and keep the stuff you love, but I think the prices for both will still be going up for a while.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's impossible to time the top, but with some stuff doubling every two weeks (Topps Vince Carter, Bowman's best Iverson, etc....) it makes it tough to sell.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 5:51PM

I have sold quite a few cards in the last year that I regret selling but that is the chance you are taking when selling anything

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consult your CFA and CPA, not your FBMs.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

sell...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

If you sell do you have any plans with your profits???

Rob
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@LarkinCollector said:

pull it out. if you dont have to have it or could sell it and get something you do love, whether it be a card or something else that makes your everyday life more enjoyable, sell it.

I agree, it really depends on what would make you happy. For example I sold a portion of my collection on December to buy a better bass boat this Spring.

If I had enough left in my collection to buy a wide body Helllcat I would! The only downside I can think of is I would probably lose my license again if i had a Hellcat.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell your least favorites in enough dollar amount that the profit covers the cost of everything you have left. Now your collection has a cost basis of zero!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Crazy? Yes.

1 hour after a PSA 7 1971 Joe Greene rookie closed at $325, someone posted an identical one for... $900 without a Best Offer. :D

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    I have never said oh man I should have sold back when. I routinely say why did I sell that??????? Yes, these are extreme circumstances and who knows where this lands?

So true. Virtually everything I've ever sold is worth significantly more now than when I sold it. However, I would sell something to help finance a new and even better purchase.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.