Options

My First Lowball Mexican Coin

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 11, 2021 10:47AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

VG08. I absolutely love the looks of this one

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat lowball. Although I'm not sure why pay the certification costs for something like this.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought it on eBay already graded

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting grade that likely was graded higher based on the deepness in the design that withstood significant wear. In looking at the rims CINCO is not really separated... So it likely received a VG grade by default.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

lovely coin!

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin saw some circulation. I wonder what they paid with it. Five silver pesos was some cash in the late 40s.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ In 1948 the peso was a 4.85 x 1 USD at the end of that year went to 8.65 x 1 -- I recall most the 12.50x1, I remember the first time I used the Peso, was in 1982 - and let see the one in 1994 that they took 3 zeros, so a 1000 went to 1 peso, we were living in Irvine, Ca, back then.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    That coin saw some circulation. I wonder what they paid with it. Five silver pesos was some cash in the late 40s.

I'd be surprised if all that wear came from circulation. 1948 was the last year for .900 fine five pesos, the fineness was reduced to .720 in 1950. The .720 and .500 fine one pesos of the same era (1940-45 & 1947-48) are practically never seen that worn.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@Abuelo said:

I'd be surprised if all that wear came from circulation. 1948 was the last year for .900 fine five pesos, the fineness was reduced to .720 in 1950. The .720 and .500 fine one pesos of the same era (1940-45 & 1947-48) are practically never seen that worn.

Maybe was used a lot on the very old game called 'Rayuela' that was played with coins, and many of the kids in those years played that a lot...

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:
    Maybe was used a lot on the very old game called 'Rayuela' that was played with coins, and many of the kids in those years played that a lot...

Any number of things could have happened, of course. I doubt the coin in the first post got its wear that way, though.