Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If it isnt an investment.....

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly one of the most common pieces of advice on this forum is that you should not buy a coin or coins as an investment. Honestly, I am not sure anyone argues that coins offer a better return than stocks.

So here is my question----why do people buy five figure coins? Or 6 figure coins or more? Let me rule out two responses: 1) someone worth hundreds of millions doesnt think twice and 2) they are showoffs. I rule out #1 because there really arent many collectors worth hundreds of millions. Yes---some but 99% are not. Yet 5 figure coins selll routinely. 2) they want to show off----again maybe some. But the overwhelming majority of high end collectors are not on the registry or these forums. Even when some famous collections are sold they are done anonymously---clearly not in it for the "fame".

Someone may argue they are foolish. Yet most coin collectors I know are pretty intelligent. They enjoy history, are good at their jobs, etc. Some have written on these boards even if they had extra money they would never buy an expensive coin because they could always make more in stocks. Certainly most high end collectors know this----its not some top secret information.

I wrote this thread because i have read 1000 times never to invest in coins yet high priced coins sell routinely. Maybe we should applaud these purchasers since despite knowing the appreciation limitation of the money they spent they do so anyway because they really love coins.

Comments

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two cents:

Because the joy that the purchase, ownership, opportunity to examine and show the coin and talk about the coin, exceeds (is viewed favorably towards) the eventual cost. I would think most people buying these type of coins understand the likely residual value or opportunity for appreciation and they are comfortable with that cost versus other options.

Comparisons might be owning that coin versus purchasing tickets , a hotel, airfare etc to see a Super Bowl. I have looked many times at doing this, but could never justify the $5k plus total cost. Yet many people do it.

What about the person that joins an exclusive country club to golf, or the person that eats at a $200+/person restaurant. Many could argue that there are lower cost options or better investments.

The joy/benefit outways the cost.

On a smaller scale, I think it’s prudent to buy $100-$500 coins/tokens once or twice a month and drink cheap beer or wine, versus not buying the coins and drinking $200 bottles of wine or high end scotch. I get more enjoyment out of owning the coins than I would drinking the high end alcohol (my taste isn’t sophisticated enough to enjoy it). Yet for many others the joy of drinking the scotch either with friends or talking about the taste with friends, easily justifies the cost.

So once again, the person buying views that the benefits to them justify the cost.

Not sure this is what you were expecting, but it’s my thoughts.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there are a lot more wealthy collectors than you realize for the high end coin market (to me that would be 10K and up). And plenty of people who just have a lot of “spare cash” lying around. But I’d say the majority of the 5 figure coin buyers are from people who have only that one 5 figure coins and the rest are 4 figure or less.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Different people have different motives, but I think most people who buy a five figure coin enjoy the hobby, the history, the beauty.

I do think people expect their collections to represent some degree of “store of value” - albeit a possibly leaky one, and certainly not an investment.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    Honestly, I am not sure anyone argues that coins offer a better return than stocks.

;)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    -why do people buy five figure coins? Or 6 figure coins or more?

My guess would be that it's the collector in them. They want the nicest coin, or one that fits best into their collection and if it happens to be 5 or 6 figures then so be it if they can afford it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because:

1. They can; and

2. They want to.

The first item above includes having money and/or other ways to make an acquisition.

The second item above includes an unlimited number of factors that motivate one to make the acquisition.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stocks aren't always in a bull market, and sometimes PMs and coins are. People may also just want to diversify. As others have pointed out, many people just like to own nice coins and have the excess capital to afford it.

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

We are all speculating. We'd know better if we had a conversation with those who have recently purchased 5+ figure coins. This sounds like a good angle and idea for a numismatics journalist to pursue -- to interview a few such buyers and write about such anecdotal evidence.

Hint, Hint - I assume there are some such journalists reading this board.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options

When cost equals "COOL" reason can fly out the window. B)

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many people see coins (and bullion) as a store of wealth or a form of "insurance". Many people like to have physical assets they can touch and hold (including myself) in addition to seeing numbers in a bank account or brokerage account.

• Options

@ShadyDave said:
    Many people see coins (and bullion) as a store of wealth or a form of "insurance". Many people like to have physical assets they can touch and hold (including myself) in addition to seeing numbers in a bank account or brokerage account.

While that IS true, my own personal behavior is to buy modestly priced coins , if they're neat, and then STREETTTCCHHH
    if I see something irresistible.
    ;)

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 12:54PM

After obsessing over pop reports, price guides & registry sets, I'm guessing there are less than 100 collectors with million dollar budgets that collect saints.
    Other than having fewer holes in their collections, they are exactly the same.

Out of almost 8 billion people in the world, that's a pretty small number.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 1:05PM

@MasonG said:

@Gazes said:
    So here is my question----why do people buy five figure coins? Or 6 figure coins or more?

For the same reasons they buy two, three and four figure coins.

I think this is true. No one at my income level is putting 5 figure coins in a safe waiting for appreciation (hopefully). And as much as I love some 5 figure coins, I would never buy one because it is too significant an "investment" for me. [See what I did there! ;) ]

I'm sure that most coin collectors from one figure to five figure hope for appreciation. I'm sure many of them think it's an investment. Some, contrary to the OP's thesis, probably do think they are better than stocks. They LOVE coins.

To truly view coins as an investment, you would have to dispassionately look at coins. What collector can? And if you love classic commems and classic commems suck as an investment, are you really going to not buy what you love and buy an Elephant token that you don't care about for 4 or 5 figures because you think it'll go up?

Even if coins were a "good investment", they are unlikely to be a good investment for a coin collector except by accident. WE buy what we like. Hawaiian commems are legitimately rare. [And don't give me the survivorship argument. There were only ever 10,000 of them and there are 20,000 Mint state 1909-S VDB in PCGS plastic alone.] But Hawaiian commems have been a horrible investment. So if you like commems, you did horribly. If you like proof classic gold, you probably did okay, but by the lucky happenstance that you liked what increased.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Stocks aren't always in a bull market, and sometimes PMs and coins are. People may also just want to diversify. As others have pointed out, many people just like to own nice coins and have the excess capital to afford it.

I would be very surprised if there are too many people who do it just to diversify rather than because they like coins. I'm sure there are one or two who have no interest in the coins. However, I would be very very very surprised if 99+% of people who claim to be doing it as an investment aren't coin people.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Even if coins were a "good investment", they are unlikely to be a good investment for a coin collector except by accident. WE buy what we like. Hawaiian commems are legitimately rare. [And don't give me the survivorship argument. There were only ever 10,000 of them and there are 20,000 Mint state 1909-S VDB in PCGS plastic alone.] But Hawaiian commems have been a horrible investment. So if you like commems, you did horribly. If you like proof classic gold, you probably did okay, but by the lucky happenstance that you liked what increased.

10,000 of something that has relatively low demand doesn't constitute rare. You can buy one anytime you like.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

I would be very surprised if there are too many people who do it just to diversify rather than because they like coins. I'm sure there are one or two who have no interest in the coins. However, I would be very very very surprised if 99+% of people who claim to be doing it as an investment aren't coin people.

I assumed it would go without saying that people who don't like coins probably wouldn't be buying them as a diversification asset. :) (They might buy GLD if they were bullish on PMs.) The discussion would seem to be about whether people who like coins would pull the trigger on expensive ones vs. putting that money into more classical investments with higher growth expectations. My point was that if the outlook for stocks is poor, the outlook for PMs is good, and/or they're overweighted to stocks, they'd be more inclined to do so.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

10,000 of something that has relatively low demand doesn't constitute rare. You can buy one anytime you like.

Well, "rare" in the context of US coins. Scarce?

As a coin dealer friend of mine used to say, "coins aren't rare, dude". I was more interested in the comparison to the much more common S-VDB, 16-D dime, 55 DDO etc. There are very few "rare" coins other than conditional rarities or varieties. Most types and most date/mint mark combinations are quite common including most "key dates".

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

I use the “diversify” term to justify my coin purchases :D

• Options

@chesterb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

I use the “diversify” term to justify my coin purchases :D

That's between you and your wife...or financial advisor. ;)

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be honest, I collect for all of the above reasons. Everyone has good points.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

I assumed it would go without saying that people who don't like coins probably wouldn't be buying them as a diversification asset. :) (They might buy GLD if they were bullish on PMs.) The discussion would seem to be about whether people who like coins would pull the trigger on expensive ones vs. putting that money into more classical investments with higher growth expectations. My point was that if the outlook for stocks is poor, the outlook for PMs is good, and/or they're overweighted to stocks, they'd be more inclined to do so.

So I think we're still back to people only buying coins because they like coins, however they rationalize it.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's safe to say that if any collectible tangible assets, including but not limited to coins, make up more than a very nominal percentage of one's total investable assets, then the person likes to own the Things more than they would enjoy higher, safer returns on alternative "paper and electronic" financial investments.

The utility of enjoying coins, fine art, antiques, cards and comics, watches, guns, (and the list goes on...) exceeds the less aesthetically pleasing returns on stocks and binds, and is relatively compact and passive, without the hassle and care and work of things like small businesses and rental property.

It makes a lot of sense for someone established with a large diversified investment portfolio to consider adding quality 5 figure and up coins to their holdings.

If someone is buying $10k and up coins and their net worth is under, say $50k, well they probably really love coins, and risk, and don't mind spending significant opportunity cost that could, probably, grow in value much faster than a coin over the long run.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on your income but some things should be considered investments/collectibles. It's non sens all this love and never consider the investment aspect of ones hobbies.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Similar to art and antiques in many respects for some collectors. It makes them happy to acquire, possess and admire the coins and they can afford the price. Investing in stocks etc. and realizing a profit provides its own type of enjoyment. If somebody can buy coins they love and turn a reasonable profit on them at the end of the day it is just a double win. Worst case scenario, the coins depreciate and the owner ends up paying a price for having been their steward. There is value in the years of enjoyment, so it isn’t a pure loss (unless the collector made a mistake and purchased coins he/she dislikes).

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask @tradedollarnut between his own purchases and through his association with Legend and the collector base they serve he seems to be in the best position to know/answer.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

So I think we're still back to people only buying coins because they like coins, however they rationalize it.

If a collectors buys a coin for his/her collection it is a collector that just made an investment.
    If an investor buys a coin for his/her portfolio it is an investor that just made a collection.
    I like my eggs over easy.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Catbert said:
    There are collectors at all levels, from whales to phytoplankton. They eat at different volumes and store at different capacity. Pretty simple really! ;)

I assume phytoplankton collect parking lot errors.

Hey, with being in the class of phytoplankton, I'm fine with having an authentic parking lot 1909 S VDB details... :p

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Coins are an investment for some people. don’t let the people on here tell you otherwise.

• Options

diversification and insurance.

honestly, the only thing I could sell in April last year was coins.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2021 2:41PM
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prestige. They want to have smoething to show off and brag about. They could just be collectors at a different level then the average collector. They just like them. They may want to resell them to another collector who wants to remain anonymous. They feel their money is safe and don't want to gamble it on the stock market. Not everyone makes money on the stock market.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭

collectors are nuts it's madness to spend real money on crusty metal bits

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd get the same satisfaction from a 1924 saint as I would a 1933 for way less.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people prefer rarity, I prefer commoninity.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't have to be a millionaire to be able to afford a five-figure coin.

One way I've been able to get five-figure coins over the years is to trade up for them. Buy less expensive coins and hold onto them. Build a collection even. Then trade some or all of them toward a more expensive coin. Repeat the process.

As for whether or not they are an investment...of course they are, strictly speaking. You may lose money or make money when it's time to sell. But you should factor in how much your enjoyment in owning them is worth. That's a return on your investment that should not be ignored.

But it really comes down to your viewpoint. I don't view my coins as investments. I accept that I may take a loss if I have to sell. On the other hand, I have other things that I do think of as investments. I don't get near as much enjoyment from owning them, but I do get peace of mind.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2021 4:04PM

@Panda4456 said:
    Coins are an investment for some people. don’t let the people on here tell you otherwise.

@Panda4456 said:

So were beanie babies... they just aren't a good investment.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lto of buyers buy as inves> @jmlanzaf said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Panda4456 said:

So we're beanie babies... they just aren't a good investment.

Speak for yourself. We’re not all beanie babies!😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    A lto of buyers buy as inves> @jmlanzaf said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Panda4456 said:

So we're beanie babies... they just aren't a good investment.

Speak for yourself. We’re not all beanie babies!😉

Lol. Damn autocorrect

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    After obsessing over pop reports, price guides & registry sets, I'm guessing there are less than 100 collectors with million dollar budgets that collect saints.

How do you define a budget? Someone might be fully invested in the stock market with lots of dollars but he/she is cash poor unless they liquidate positions.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

How do you define a budget? Someone might be fully invested in the stock market with lots of dollars but he/she is cash poor unless they liquidate positions.

maybe they live off their dividends and ss

As for me if I lost my entire coin collection
    ( which is fairly substantial at least for me) as in 0 , nada, total write off ... I would still have earned income and securities investments to live on .

In other words buying coins has always been a hobby and if lose money , oh well, it’s a tax loss against other gains 😊

And I ❤️ coins 🤓

After all it’s just stuff .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file