Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Banknotes from the Philippines

With the exception of the post WWII Victory series, they're quite inexpensive & have great designs (IMO). There has been some controversy over the designs (locations of cities, maps, colour choices for their birds, etc) but I doubt any designer (& then engraver) are going to get too worked up over accuracy (& scale) when portraying a 7000 islands nation sprawled across East Asia.

I started collecting these 2 years ago after a visit to this beautiful country. Caught one fairly circulated 200 "Pisos" note as I was leaving (that looked like this):

2016 Duterte & Tetangco (the 1st time we see the current president's signature). Two Hundred Pisos are very seldom seen there.

So when I started buying the other NGS (New Generation Series) I discovered that they were undergoing several signature changes & that both low serial number & solids were quite inexpensive when bought in sets:

2010 Aquino III & Tetangco (initially printed in France)

In 2015 they changed the front of the 100 P by removing the blue tint (as it looked a little like the 1000 P), here's a solid 9

2016 Duterte & Tetangco (seen in the 200 P above). It is also the less common 1 letter prefix.

In 2018 we see the signatures change once again to Duterte & Espenilla in this 100 P solid 5 radar:

And then, in 2019, the last signature change, Duterte & Diokno as seen in this solid 8 Twenty Piso

All of these NGC have undergone another update with indicators for the blind & the Twenty has been retired (turned into a coin). I believe they started a 5000 P note too?

Please post & share any info if you may have on banknotes from the Philippines.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bank of the Philippine Islands notes were printed by the US BEP and were innovative for their use of background tinting.

The BPI is actually not a government sponsored bank, but issued notes in the Philippines rather like commercial banks in the United States issued National Currency. BPI didn't issued banknotes after WWII began. But it still exists as one of the largest commercial banks in the Philippines.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Serial_no_8 , are all those notes yours ? The serial numbers are phenomenal.

• Options

I agree that the current series from the Philippines is fantastic. The oyster and pearl on the back of the 1,000 piso is remarkable. (Image from the Central Bank of the Philippines.)

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@mbwizkid said:
    @Serial_no_8 , are all those notes yours ? The serial numbers are phenomenal.

Yes, Steve, thanks! They were typically bought in sets like (low# 1 to 10). Sometimes I would pick them up in pairs such as with this affordable solid radar 50 Pisos (sold in 2 short-lived signature combos)

2017 Duterte- Tetangco

2018 Duterte- Espenilla

P-206 to P-211(20P to 1000P) of the 2010 New Generation series were printed in France while these (P-93 to P-197), were still being printed in the Philippines.

-Nice adds "SaorAlba"
    "The Bank of the Philippine Islands notes were printed by the US BEP and were innovative for their use of background tinting."
    -Yes, the early notes (the ones you posted) are much tougher and very collectible. I did not know they were printed this way so thanks for sharing (no wonder they're so desirable).

Here's another solid 20 Piso P-182i from 2005:

A 10 Piso (P-187h) from 2001:

and P-169c 10 Piso from earlier still:

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply incredible, thanks for sharing @Serial_no_8 .

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones :)

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys!

My oldest solid:

Oldest low #:

Oldest fave # B)