Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question About Shipping to PSA

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question but I'm about to send my first card to PSA for grading and since it's just one card I was wondering if it's alright to send the card in a small 4X7 bubble mailer envelope? The directions on the website say to use a box but I was wondering if PSA would accept a card that came in a bubble mailer like that as well? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not a dumb question, but the quick answer is that it depends what card it is and your risk tolerance. The more info you provide, the better an answer you will receive.

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Assuming it's an expensive card because you're only sending in 1....I would absolutely use a box. I'd actually probably send it in bubble wrap in a box and then in another box.

• Great question for those of us just starting! Was also thinking in terms of starting by paying for a high end card or two to be evaluated OR taking advantage of the quarterly special by having numerous lower end cards evaluated...to get a feel for what would be worth investing in?

Always looking for 1950's Graded Banks Cards

• tomg1977tomg1977 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 11:52AM

I sent my first sub in a few weeks ago. it was a 1 card and I sent it in a small box.

I made sure i followed their recommendations on shipping, secured the card well, and packaged it so it wouldn't move inside the box. Its in the grading process now, so it must have made it ok.

A friend sent a few in via bubble mailer and they were processed.

I guess it would come down to how much the card is worth, like someone else said.

• tomg1977tomg1977 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

@swish54 said:
    Assuming it's an expensive card because you're only sending in 1....I would absolutely use a box. I'd actually probably send it in bubble wrap in a box and then in another box.

Man, I didnt even think of doing that. Mine was pricy ($300 raw). I protected it well, but never thought to put it in another box. If i ever send another expensive card in, Ill make sure to do that.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

300ct storage boxes or the boxes PSA returns cards in if you don't want to pony up a couple extra bucks for Priority; Small Flat Rate Box if you want it there faster. Why mess with a bubble mailer on a card that must be worth submitting for at least a $50 grading fee?

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 12:20PM

@Cubsfan71 said:
    Great question for those of us just starting! Was also thinking in terms of starting by paying for a high end card or two to be evaluated OR taking advantage of the quarterly special by having numerous lower end cards evaluated...to get a feel for what would be worth investing in?

Just remember that you will be waiting a year to get them back if you use a quarterly special ..... So it will be a year from now before you would know what else to send in... Better to figure it out other ways and send it all (that is all that is worth grading). If you send in the "high end card or two" make sure it really is!

• I appreciate the suggestions. It's not like a crazy high end card. It's actually a card that I've had since the 90s that was hand signed by Mario Lemieux (Score 1990) and I wanted to get the auto authenticated and figured I'd get the card graded since it's been in a plaque since then and is in great shape. I'm just getting back into the hobby after being super into it in the early to mid 90s when i was in my early teens. Covid lockdown has given me time to go through the boxes and boxed of cards that I had from back then. So I'm feeling it out. This have changed a lot since those days but I'm enjoying learning. Thanks