Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Age Old PSA Grading Level Question

Sooooo.... I know this gets discussed fairly often, but lets say i have a baseball card i really think is a PSA 10 and at that the value would be worth around $50k and the submission level would be $2k. BUT, if it is only a PSA 9 its only worth about $2,500 and the submission would have only been $75. I am collecting and not selling so i dont really have an extra $1-2K to 'risk' but i also dont want to pay $75 and have them make it a 9 when it would have been a 10. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Tagged:

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused.

Let's see if I understand. You don't want to pay if it's a 10 because you can't afford it, and you don't want to pay for it at all if it's a 9, because it's a 10?

Sounds like you should keep it raw?

Post a picture.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • I'll pay for it if its a 10, but i dont really want to pay $2k if it comes back as a 9. Is there any way you can send it in at one level and pay the up charge if it turns into a higher level?
    i'm actually out of town (working hard with the occasional collectors forum post of course) but i'll post a picture when i get back at the end of the week

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA will not give a grade to your card based upon what level of service you choose. If you send it in on the lower level, and they deem it a PSA 10, you will be up-charged to the correct service level. A "problem" every submitter prays for.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming any card you submit is a 10 is folly.

Send it in as if it's a 7 or 8 and PSA will let you know if it's going to need more of your cash to grade it. I am not exactly sure how this works.

Not saying yours is, or isn't a 10. What is the card?

Looking forward to seeing a picture, hope it's from a scanner!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Never, never, NEVER, send in a card, paying for, or expecting a 10. Even if it is a 10 to you and everyone else , it is more likely to get a 9 or less. Do what JoeBanzai wrote. It is easier for you to send them more money, than for them to send money back to you. (which they will NEVER do).

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    PSA will not give a grade to your card based upon what level of service you choose. If you send it in on the lower level, and they deem it a PSA 10, you will be up-charged to the correct service level. A "problem" every submitter prays for.

I sent in two 100-card Value subs this summer. Since that time, several of the cards have blown up. Any idea on what sort of measuring stick the PSA auditor will use whenever these subs get graded?

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    I sent in two 100-card Value subs this summer. Since that time, several of the cards have blown up. Any idea on what sort of measuring stick the PSA auditor will use whenever these subs get graded?

My guess would be current market value, and not the value back in the summer when you sent them in. If that's what you were asking.

• BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:

@nam812 said:

I wouldn’t worry about it. They really don’t scrutinize bulk subs that much unless it’s a drastic difference. In the $99 max days I had 1k+ cards that didn’t get up charged.

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I've yet to have a Value sub pop since I started subbing again (for the first time since 2008). But I've had an Economy sub pop and was contacted and made to pay more. A bittersweet feeling, for sure

• So here he is. Only iPhone tho sorry. Tiny printing spot around top right of blue border besides that I feel like it might be ‘it’. I feel like it is nicer then a few I have seen and much nicer then the dmitri young one

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Look at it this way. Pay for turnaround time, not for expected grade. Like others say, they’ll call you if you want more money.

Really nice card. But is there some chipping on back, bottom right?

• i think that might just be the light....i'm sending it express. we'll see how it goes

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

send it in express. if it gets a 10, they will upcharge you. on a side note, thats the most beautiful raw copy ive ever seen.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any print marks along the top edge? That's a really nice looking card. I don't think it's a 10 (it's centered just a bit low), but I'd say you have a good shot at a 9.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Very nice copy. Assuming no surface issues, it looks like a lock for 9 with an outside shot at a 10, of course the way they’re grading these days, 10’s are gonna be tough. I’ve seen worse 10’s, though.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Ricky but I wouldn’t count on a ten. They’ve granted very few. There’s an interesting video on YouTube that deep dives into the population of this card and set.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2021 1:02PM

Very nice card! Hope for a 9 on that one!

• thanks all.....worst case scenario my kids will have to get college scholarships instead!

• justmero3justmero3 Posts: 72 ✭✭

came back a 9

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent PSA 10 sales of Rickey have been 100-130k. You might end up paying 5k. Best to submit at lowest tier and they’ll up charge you if need be.

@Rofles said:
    Recent PSA 10 sales of Rickey have been 100-130k. You might end up paying 5k. Best to submit at lowest tier and they’ll up charge you if need be.

He just posted 11 minutes before you did that it came back a PSA 9.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2021 10:23AM

Congrats! Beautiful Henderson and a 9 is a strong grade.

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

What was your turn around time on the submission?

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's