Home Sports Talk
Options

Jeff Kent HOF chances?

LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff Kent was the biggest mover (up 17%) in this years baseball HOF vote tally. Kent, on paper, should be a HOF lock as a 2nd baseman. His career numbers compare or excel other 2nd basemen already in the hall. So why is he not in? On this years list my opinion is he's the one guy who should be in. Is he not in yet because he wasn't a media darling and lost votes for that reason? Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, to dispense with the obvious and painful argument, Kent was a whole lot better than Harold Baines, so if that's the new yardstick then he has to get in someday.

Beyond that, he'd be a lower tier HOFer, but not in the obvious mistake class, and folks in that class get in mostly on good will with voters and/or they hit lots of HR. I know nothing about Kent's bank of goodwill, but he did hit a lot of HR, especially for a second baseman. That he did it playing in SF in the late 90's /early 00's - and didn't do it before then, casts some suspicion on HOW he did it, and that may hurt him. (In his 20's Kent averaged 5 batter-runs per 162 games. He averaged 24 from age 36 to age 39. Yes, I'm suspicious.)

On the merits, there are two big roadblocks:

• He was a terrible second baseman. Voters will gladly give infielders some leeway on their hitting - and Kent is miles away on hitting if you compare him to 1B/OF - but not so much if the player wasn't any good as an infielder.
    • There are two obviously better 2B ahead of him (Grich and Whitaker), and Kent may have to wait his turn. He certainly didn't hit as well as Kent, but I could make a pretty good case that Willie Randolph was a better player, too.

FWIW, I wouldn't vote for him, but I think he's got a decent shot at getting in the regular way, and an excellent chance at getting in eventually through one of the back doors.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 10:58PM

Has to be one of the best hitting 2nd basemen of all time!

edited to add; I wasn't aware he was a bad defender, that should hurt him.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 12:06AM

@JoeBanzai said:

He was brutal. I'm guessing without looking that Whitaker has the highest WAR of second basemen not in the Hall. I'm basing this on knowing that Sweet Lou had a higher WAR then Robby Alomar. For sure Whitaker's is much higher then Kent

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He was brutal. I'm guessing without looking that Whitaker has the highest WAR of second basemen not in the Hall. I'm basing this on knowing that Sweet Lou had a higher WAR then Robby Alomar. For sure Whitaker's is much higher then Kent

m

Lou has a pretty good OPS+ number to go with some GG's!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm guessing without looking that Whitaker has the highest WAR of second basemen not in the Hall. I'm basing this on knowing that Sweet Lou had a higher WAR then Robby Alomar. For sure Whitaker's is much higher then Kent

@JoeBanzai said:

All true, but if I have to pick just one 2B for the Hall, it's Grich. Grich played his whole career in pitcher's parks and it hurts his absolute numbers, but he's the best hitting 2B not already in the HOF, and he's got a mantle full of Gold Gloves, too. Whitaker does have more WAR than Grich, but that's only because he played longer; per game, Grich is behind only HOFers (and ahead of most of them).

None of which is to put down Whitaker; if I get two votes, Whitaker is the second. And that's where I'd stop.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm guessing without looking that Whitaker has the highest WAR of second basemen not in the Hall. I'm basing this on knowing that Sweet Lou had a higher WAR then Robby Alomar. For sure Whitaker's is much higher then Kent

@JoeBanzai said:

All true, but if I have to pick just one 2B for the Hall, it's Grich. Grich played his whole career in pitcher's parks and it hurts his absolute numbers, but he's the best hitting 2B not already in the HOF, and he's got a mantle full of Gold Gloves, too. Whitaker does have more WAR than Grich, but that's only because he played longer; per game, Grich is behind only HOFers (and ahead of most of them).

None of which is to put down Whitaker; if I get two votes, Whitaker is the second. And that's where I'd stop.

I agree with all this.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

In earlier eras, when second basemen weren't expected to necessarily hit for power, Kent would've been voted into the Hall by the baseball writers.