Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading a T206 Wagner

I've always wondered what the process was for grading a T206 Wagner (or a high end card with a value over 500k).

In the case of the Wagner, 99.9% are fraudulent. What if you have a card and think it might be real?

Is there no other option than to pay 5K for PSA to even look at a card that is most likely fraudulent?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting query. Maybe submit at the lower level and if authentic obviously pay the appropriate price. Maybe someone more well versed could chime in.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    surfyfunsurfyfun Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 12:07PM

How about sending it first to a grading card service that doesn't scale their fee based on the value of the card? Then, if it comes back authentic and you want to PSA slab it, you can.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one would ask to be there in person. At least in the waiting room no way would I ship such collectibles by mail.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 5:57PM

@collector992003 said:
    I've always wondered what the process was for grading a T206 Wagner (or a high end card with a value over 500k).

In the case of the Wagner, 99.9% are fraudulent. What if you have a card and think it might be real?

Is there no other option than to pay 5K for PSA to even look at a card that is most likely fraudulent?

if it were me, i'd save $5k off the rip w a $5 black light. the 99.9% you speak of would light up like a cypress hill poster in a dorm room under it. cards prior to 1954ish don't glow.

if i you haven't tossed your wagner by now , grab a $20 southern league t206 beater and a loupe to compare the paper & ink attributes. if you think you're still golden at this point, go to the national and find one that's on display. there's always one for pre-auction purposes or for advertisement purposes and ask whoever is in charge, ie derek grady @ heritage to do the pepsi challenge and that you're possibly interested in getting it graded then consigned. if he/they take immediate interest, then go to the bathroom and make sure you haven't crapped yourself. once you're good, you and derek march it over to steve, bypassing the long lines and start thinking about your future tax implications. the $5k grading fee is the least of your worries or having it lost during shipment is moot at this point. 😉

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post a picture. I can tell just by a good photo and save you $5K. Chances of finding a Wagner in the wild is almost as good as winning the powerball. But someone has to win so....

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try burying it in a value submission. Maybe they won’t notice. 😊