Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Qualifier Designated Cards - What do you Prefer

To be clear, I am not a fan of cards being given a grade and then given a qualifier such as OC or MC. I understand why it's done and I also have heard that without the qualifier you can subtract a couple grades. (PSA 8 OC = PSA 6) I've been looking at some particular cards from the 60s and many are mis-cut or off center quite a bit. My question is for your own collection, not re-sell would you prefer a card that is PSA 8 (MC) or a straight PSA 6? Or, do you not agree with subtracting 2 grades for a qualifier?
Thanks

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I refuse to put those in my collection.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

No qualifiers.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Agreed...no qualifiers. Further, if it is a PSA 6 and way off center or mis-cut, I still wouldn't use it. I display my collection so it really needs eye appeal and I will buy the best I can and keep it reasonable. I'd rather have a PSA 3 or 4 with some scuffs but centered perfectly than a PSA 6 with 80/20 centering.

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

(MC) is going to look pretty harsh. (OC) is something of a different question. Not all OCs are created equal, especially if they involve T/B centering rather than R/L. I have a number of 8(OC) cards and at least a couple of 9OC and I like knowing that the corners and surface are worthy of the higher level grade and the main problem is the centering.

This question comes up here from time to time and the consensus is almost always that the straight grade is preferable, so I'm usually in the minority on this. Ultimately, it's all about what you want in your own collection.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

If I have a oc card in my collection it is a filler and I usually don't do hat. It would have to be from a issue plagued with centering problems like 1957 Topps BK.
    I agree with the 2 point subtraction. Never a MC.

Eye appeal is number one. A t/b centering card might be ok if it has nice s/s.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

No qualifiers for me.

• DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Same for me, I bought one early on for my HOF collection because I didn't pay close enough attention to the picture in ebay....no it wasn't pointed out in the listing itself. Fool me once, never again :-)

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just checked my inventory, out of 1758 items registered:
    MCs 2 total

• 1951 Berk Ross panel - back border goes slightly off the edge on one side, no big deal to me
    • 1979 Quelcom Seve - bottom border on front is nearly always completely missing or just barely a hair showing. Recently upgraded to one grade lower, but without the qualifier. Shouldn't be in my collection much longer.

OCs 2 total (6 others already showing up as Sold that came in a large lot purchase)

• 1962 Dickson Orde - unrecognized back variation of a card I already have in a straight grade, so it gets to stay
    • 1992 Foster's - I've got both a 9(OC) and a 7, sold the 9(OC) once already and it came back to me in a collection purchase. I just haven't gotten around to selling the 9(OC) again yet.
  • I do have some cards with qualifiers in my collection, but generally avoid them. I agree with the two point deduction, although I think a 9OC can look better than a 7. However, a number of years ago, I traded a 9OC checklist card from the 1969-70 Topps basketball set (a card that is very often off-center) for a 7 of the same card and $200.

• PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Miscuts don't necessarily always occur on the front. There are some very nice MC cards out there. See the back top edge....

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.