Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1952 Mickey Mantle just sold for a $5.2 million

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I read the article I was expecting it to be a PSA 10 😳

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

dang, dudes wearing fedoras have infiltrated the market now.

• PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

article says it was brokered by PWCC, was it an auction or did they just help broker it? ESPN article says it's the card Evan Mathis sold in 2018, anyone know if that's true?

• pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

@PNWcollector said:

Anyone seen Sammy Sosa lately? 😂

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PADIdiver said:
    article says it was brokered by PWCC, was it an auction or did they just help broker it? ESPN article says it's the card Evan Mathis sold in 2018, anyone know if that's true?

just brokered? 😉

• I'd suspect with the return of a full MLB season this year (which was largely absent for most of 2020) with the addition of several new states legalizing sports gambling this sort of story will be the exception, not the rule.

I'd suspect the big gains of 2020 will not be duplicated this year. The Mantle is clearly an aberration due to its iconic status and extremely low pop count.

Who knows? I may be wrong. The people betting on sports cards now are not collectors - they're speculators; investors. They aren't rational.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BriantheTaxGuy said:
    I'd suspect with the return of a full MLB season this year (which was largely absent for most of 2020) with the addition of several new states legalizing sports gambling this sort of story will be the exception, not the rule.

I'd suspect the big gains of 2020 will not be duplicated this year. The Mantle is clearly an aberration due to its iconic status and extremely low pop count.

Who knows? I may be wrong. The people betting on sports cards now are not collectors - they're speculators; investors. They aren't rational.

This sounds like the coin "investing" bubble of the late 1980's.

All glory is fleeting.

didn't the last consignor of this card end up breaking even or even losing a little on the 2.8 mil sale? the next seller then banks 2mil a few months down the road?

@Dpeck100 said:

I don't own that many cards that have mass appeal...

i would strongly disagree with you. realized prices would back me up.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

I thought the same thing.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

@PaulMaul said:

I thought the same thing.

PSA 10 is easily 15 million probably more like 20.

The Wagner I have read estimates as high as 35 million.

These mega cards are much higher than most realize.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 5:29PM

I read that also on Blowout. A lot of haters on that side for sure. Everyone just nitpicks at every single thing. Making fun of how the guy dresses. A t-shirt with his name brand, jeans and a little trendy hat but so what. He's obviously killing it. My guess is that a lot of the folks on that side probably haven't been to a National. Tacky outfits everywhere. Massive cargo shorts convention too.

When I see sales like that, they certainly excite me. Especially since I own a Mantle myself :) Now all ESPN needs to do is make a Mantle docuseries and we'll really see the baseball card market reach crazy territory as far as sales. I feel vintage is due for a bump since the last significant one we saw was back in 2016.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dam i wish i had 5.3 million.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say the same thing. The people making fun of the way he dresses probably live in jorts and show off their plumber’s crack as they search packs at Target.

This card was not Evan’s. That was a PSA 10 1953 Topps.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    I was going to say the same thing. The people making fun of the way he dresses probably live in jorts and show off their plumber’s crack as they search packs at Target.

Mathis actually did own that 1952 PSA 9 that just sold for over 5 Mil. He came on here and said that the Mantle was already in a holder and graded a PSA 9 when he was around 9 years old. In other words, he is saying that he never had access to the card in it's raw form which should put to rest any speculation of him doing anything to alter it.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    I read that also on Blowout. A lot of haters on that side for sure. Everyone just nitpicks at every single thing. Making fun of how the guy dresses. A t-shirt with his name brand, jeans and a little trendy hat but so what. He's obviously killing it. My guess is that a lot of the folks on that side probably haven't been to a National. Tacky outfits everywhere. Massive cargo shorts convention too.

When I see sales like that, they certainly excite me. Especially since I own a Mantle myself :) Now all ESPN needs to do is make a Mantle docuseries and we'll really see the baseball card market reach crazy territory as far as sales. I feel vintage is due for a bump since the last significant one we saw was back in 2016.

Dude, stop spying on me.... I retired my cargos 3 or 4 years ago, and besides the extra pockets come in handy! lol

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@pjb103183 said:

@PNWcollector said:

Anyone seen Sammy Sosa lately? 😂

Which color?
    ETA: Strawberry was always my favorite ...

OMG what happened to Sammy? That is a funny comparison. Thank you Larkin!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 12:36PM

Never understand why so many think high prices are good for the hobby. If I budget around the same % of income to spend each year - if prices rise faster than my salary I get to add less. Every year more cards are forever out of my price range. Bring on a crash!!! Until the list of cards I wish I had is smaller than the cards I do have (which I cannot imagine living long enough to happen), record prices are a bad thing.

Congrats to the buyer - if I had the means, I would be buying cards like this too.

• @brad31 said:
    Never understand why so many think high prices are good for the hobby. If I budget around the same % of income to spend each year - if prices rise faster than my salary I get to add less. Every year more cards are forever out of my price range. Bring on a crash!!! Until the list of cards I wish I had is smaller than the cards I do have (which I cannot imagine living long enough to happen), record prices are a bad thing.

Congrats to the buyer - if I had the means, I would be buying cards like this too.

Would you? What would bring you more joy? This card in 9 at 5.3 million or the same card in $400k and 4.8 million to spend on how many other cards?

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@BriantheTaxGuy said:

@brad31 said:

Would you? What would bring you more joy? This card in 9 at 5.3 million or the same card in $400k and 4.8 million to spend on how many other cards?

The guy buying this card at 5.3MM probably has another 4.8MM to buy all the other cards he wants too. Irrelevant.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

@Vagabond said:

@gemint said:

Mathis actually did own that 1952 PSA 9 that just sold for over 5 Mil. He came on here and said that the Mantle was already in a holder and graded a PSA 9 when he was around 9 years old. In other words, he is saying that he never had access to the card in it's raw form which should put to rest any speculation of him doing anything to alter it.

as an owner of two cards that passed thru his hands, this begs the question: does the headline (more like a footnote now) "once owned by super bowl champion, evan mathis" bring an overall negative or positive "connotation" on a cards value?

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 1:52PM

@Vagabond said:

@gemint said:

Correct. The card was owned by Levi Bleam of 707 sportscards fame— he is as old school a collector and hobby presence as they come. The card was thus in its PSA 9 holder for many, many, many years. I recall seeing it in Levi's Registry Set well over a decade ago. There's lots of uninformed haters out there, LOL, so I 100% agree with the other posts above; it is just such a bad look when someone anonymously tries to spew bile, invective, and hate on such a card or purchase on the internet. Big Daddy Kane might offer such people a quarter for playing themselves. Any card enthusiast no matter what they collect should just tip their cap whenever a fellow collector grabs something they want that makes them happy.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume someone who spends $5.3MM on a single card is unlikely to spend their entire
    card budget for the foreseeable future on one card. If my budget was $5.3MM and I could never spend more, I would do something like you propose.

However, it always surprises me that the top of the top in all forms of collectibles do not sell for more. Say two people who each have $1B get into the hobby. Both are working on a T-206 set and need the Wagner. One comes up for auction. At what incremental dollar amount is life happier with the cash than the card? To me that amount is a lot higher than the highest end typically goes for.

For example, David Gilmour’s “Black Strat” guitar that he used on their most popular albums sold for $3.975MM. Obviously the two highest bidders have a lot of disposable income. Guess you have to set a top - but if I am willing to spend $3.87MM for it - I must really want it. Someone went that high but would then not go to $4MM. This is a one of a kind item that they both must have wanted badly to set the World Record for the most ever paid for a guitar - yet one person who could have afforded to go higher decided to stop. I guess you have to set a top - but sooner or later two people will find the same item as the thing they want most in the world. Would think that happens enough to set these prices higher than they are in just about every arena of collectibles be it dinosaur fossils, historical documents, rare books, cars, cards, etc.

It always surprises me when a Wagner or Plank or 1914 Baltimore Sun Babe Ruth or other truly iconic and rare card comes up for auction that someone doesn’t pay more than what it sold for. When someone pays a new record for something truly rare I think “good for him or her” and would congratulate them on adding something to be proud of to their collection - the same as I do for many on here who post their pick-ups each month. Every card I buy makes me happier than if I had the cash in the bank. I assume it is the same for those with much more cash in the bank. I enjoy our hobby and have since I was a kid.

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

It always surprises me when a Wagner or Plank or 1914 Baltimore Sun Babe Ruth or other truly iconic and rare card comes up for auction that someone doesn’t pay more than what it sold for. When someone pays a new record for something truly rare I think “good for him or her” and would congratulate them on adding something to be proud of to their collection - the same as I do for many on here who post their pick-ups each month. Every card I buy makes me happier than if I had the cash in the bank. I assume it is the same for those with much more cash in the bank. I enjoy our hobby and have since I was a kid.

-

Bingo, yes, this!
    I don't have a single regret with any of my bigger purchases. The white whales in a collection bring much more satisfaction than storing the money in the bank. My biggest regrets are the opposite...KEEPING the money in the bank and not going for it. Of course I'm not financially reckless or stupid.

The hunt, the chase, the score, and the reminiscing. Overall enjoying the cards. Men on cardboard LOL B)

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine if Musk or Bezos decided to get into cards - $5 million to them is like a nickel to us.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:
    Imagine if Musk or Bezos decided to get into cards - $5 million to them is like a nickel to us.

I believe some Wall Streeters already are hence the big runup. Starting to view cards as an asset class

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

Correct. The card was owned by Levi Bleam of 707 sportscards fame— he is as old school a collector and hobby presence as they come. The card was thus in its PSA 9 holder for many, many, many years. I recall seeing it in Levi's Registry Set well over a decade ago. There's lots of uninformed haters out there, LOL, so I 100% agree with the other posts above; it is just such a bad look when someone anonymously tries to spew bile, invective, and hate on such a card or purchase on the internet. Big Daddy Kane might offer such people a quarter for playing themselves. Any card enthusiast no matter what they collect should just tip their cap whenever a fellow collector grabs something they want that makes them happy.

Yeah, I realize a lot of high grade cards are turning out to be trimmed these days but ...

There is a (relatively) big pile of high grade 52 Mantles, no? From the Mr Mint find that yielded both PSA 10s? Is it so hard to believe it also yielded this particular 9? C'mon.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goldin Auctions has a PSA 8 listed now that is already at $555,000 with 15 days to go

• @Ahmanfan said:

The guy buying this card at 5.3MM probably has another 4.8MM to buy all the other cards he wants too. Irrelevant.

That was neither what I implied nor what I meant. Calling my comment "irrelevant" is rude, condescending, and unwarranted.

I was talking about the joy of collecting. Spending $X on one card in 9 vs less in 8 + a hell of a lot more cards = a hell of a lot more joy.

It's interesting that when i was growing up in the 1960's, many if not most stamp collectors thought of collecting baseball cards as a childish waste of money.

Well here it is 2021 and see what a mint 1952 Topps Mantle sells for. While most mint 1952 US postage stamps barely sell for face value if that.

I think that baseball card collectors got the last laugh on this one. LOL

@stevek said:
    It's interesting that when i was growing up in the 1960's, many if not most stamp collectors thought of collecting baseball cards as a childish waste of money.

Well here it is 2021 and see what a mint 1952 Topps Mantle sells for. While most mint 1952 US postage stamps barely sell for face value if that.

-

40 years ago, my sister was collecting stamps; me, baseball cards.
    I wonder whatever happened to those stamps

edited January 16, 2021 1:33PM

@BriantheTaxGuy said:
    Spending $X on one card in 9 vs less in 8 + a hell of a lot more cards = a hell of a lot more joy.

condescension talk aside... to you, perhaps. of course, miatas are allowed on the autobahn too, i guess.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@BriantheTaxGuy said:

@Ahmanfan said:

That was neither what I implied nor what I meant. Calling my comment "irrelevant" is rude, condescending, and unwarranted.

I was talking about the joy of collecting. Spending $X on one card in 9 vs less in 8 + a hell of a lot more cards = a hell of a lot more joy.

Didn’t mean your comment was irrelevant. I meant in terms of the buyers finances (most likely anyway). No offense intended.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

What if everyone was collecting baseball cards and not collecting stamps in the 60's? I'd bet Mantles wouldn't be near the value they are today, and stamps would be higher in value than face.

Mom should have another holiday: "Mom Threw Out My Baseball Cards Day"

I wish I had the resources as a kid and now to have a 1952 Mantle. For those that did/can I salute you. Enjoy the card and the price rise.

@Gansetttime said:

@stevek said:

What if everyone was collecting baseball cards and not collecting stamps in the 60's? I'd bet Mantles wouldn't be near the value they are today, and stamps would be higher in value than face.

Mom should have another holiday: "Mom Threw Out My Baseball Cards Day"

I wish I had the resources as a kid and now to have a 1952 Mantle. For those that did/can I salute you. Enjoy the card and the price rise.

I of course can only speak for my neighborhood, the people I knew, and the school i intended as a kid...back then there were basically no adult baseball card collectors. And it seemed like almost every other adult out there had a stamp collection of some sort, large or small. Stores specializing only in collectable stamps were prevalent throughout the area.

Basically with baseball cards, they were seen as kids playthings, and that mind frame included most kids. Perhaps a similar analogy would be winning and accumulating poker chips on a free to play website. Fun to do, but not worth anything of monetary value.

In fact most if not virtually all kids saw the previous years baseball cards as not worth anything even for fun value. They only wanted the current years baseball cards with all the new pics, and updated stats on the back of the card. Very few kids kept their older baseball cards, or their mothers threw the cards out for them.

Of all the card collectors i knew, and there were many, i was the only one who had any interest in saving and accumulating the older cards. I don't know why i did it, i just enjoyed doing it. And i guess there enough of those like me throughout the country who saved enough old cards to have them available today.

The one thing i wish i could have envisioned, but of course it would be impossible to do as a kid, would have been to store the cards differently, not with rubber bands, loose in shoeboxes, etc. I doubt if Albert Einstein could have foreseen the future advent of not only card grading, but the strong emphasis on corners.

As a kid, i could see the difference between a centered and nicely print registered card, versus an off center card with poor print registration, etc. But i could have never envisioned the extreme value difference between a card with four sharp corners versus three sharp corners and a little ding.

Oh well, i could ramble on about this, but i'll stop here before it turns into a dissertation. :)