Home Sports Talk

Rusney Castillo - free at last

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusney Castillo, once touted as the Red Sox outfielder extraordinaire...has finally found an opportunity to play in Japan.
Having signed a mind-blowing $72.5m contract in 2014, he found himself locked into a AAA situation in Pawtucket, the Red Sox AAA club that he couldn't get out of. He has now signed with the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles in Nippon, Japan...and has taken his tons of money with him. Not many get to play in AAA for $10m+ per season for 6+ years.

Yet another Red Sox deal gone way wrong. There are several.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/npbs-rakuten-golden-eagles-sign-rusney-castillo.html

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow now only if Pedroia would find a way out as well

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh Rusney. we never even knew you...

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 8:23AM

Not thrilled with the Pedroia thing.

What I have heartburn about is the dumbasses running the show at Yawkey Way, who sign these obscene contracts. I have said it a ton of times...paying for future performance is a futile effort in trying to predict performance. Contracts should have a sweet up front amount of $$, then the bulk should be predicated on yearly performance...if you meet x,y, and z, we'll bring the Brink's truck, if not...you don't get the goodies.

Here's a short list of Red Sox memorable missteps:
    Crawford, Dawson, Renteria, Lugo, Drew, Lackey, Sandoval - El Sapo Gordo, Price, HanRam, DiceK, Clement, Foulke

And perhaps the worst trade in Red Sox history...Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson.

It's time to cut Pedroia, pay him and open a spot on the roster.
    Trade JBJ while you can get something.
    Trade Eovaldi, they're into him for $17m for the next two seasons, he doesn't deserve such obscene $$ for what he does.

Carl Crawford was just the worst. They didn't get anything out of him.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

And perhaps the worst trade in Red Sox history...Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson.

They knew exactly what they were doing there. They traded a good - not great - prospect who had shown zero power but hit for average at AA in return for a pennant stretch reliever. That reliever was lights out for Boston, tossing a 1.23 ERA across 15 appearances. Was it a great trade? No but Andersen more than performed. It's not like Boston knew that Bagwell was going to become friends with Ken Caminiti and Steve Finley and, ahem, learn from their training methods.

@craig44 said:

They got Adrian Gonzalez - who hit .338 while leading the league in hits for Boston as part of a 155 OPS+. In return for a guy who was having Tommy John surgery and had an 85 OPS+ his last full season. Crawford played just 320 games over the next four seasons, coming nowhere close to a full season in any of them. I'd say Boston did just fine.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 9:58AM

The one that bugged me the most was Sandoval. He was completely worthless.
    Pedrioa was great until he got his knee destroyed. It was not his fault so I give him a pass on that one.

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

They got Adrian Gonzalez - who hit .338 while leading the league in hits for Boston as part of a 155 OPS+. In return for a guy who was having Tommy John surgery and had an 85 OPS+ his last full season. Crawford played just 320 games over the next four seasons, coming nowhere close to a full season in any of them. I'd say Boston did just fine.

no, they traded kasey kelley and Anthony rizzo for Gonzalez. they signed Crawford to a huge for the time free agent contract. to get rid of Crawford, they had to include him in the Gonzalez deal to the dodgers. that was a shame because Gonzalez played great for the sox.

@craig44 said:

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

no, they traded kasey kelley and Anthony rizzo for Gonzalez. they signed Crawford to a huge for the time free agent contract. to get rid of Crawford, they had to include him in the Gonzalez deal to the dodgers. that was a shame because Gonzalez played great for the sox.

No.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131029224925/http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/red-sox-dodgers-complete-nine-player-blockbuster.html

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I've honestly never even heard of him. Admittedly, I don't follow the game closely anymore.