Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

All 11 Sovereign Heads

This is the first time I have had all 11 at once!

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really cool!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

👍

• PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Very nice. First time I've seen them all together. Can you get them all into one pic? How about a pic of the reverse?

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have a set of those. I hope to get them slabbed this year.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice - You are missing 4 of the QE2 heads though. When I get access to my photos I'll post my set.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
    edited December 30, 2020 6:52PM

Here’s my set, there is a very minor differences between QE2 fourth and fifth heads.

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you find your pre-Victorian sovereigns? Most of the ones I’ve found have what I’d call aspirational pricing.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

The nice thing is that you can always add more such as the Victoria type one and two that were minted in Sydney - and there is always the 1489 Henry VII. You can even go farther with large and small heads. Then pick up one from each mint. Have fun with them.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful sets, just curious why George VI doesn't have a place at the table?

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
    edited December 31, 2020 9:20AM

@bigmarty58 said:
    Beautiful sets, just curious why George VI doesn't have a place at the table?

1937 was the only year he had a sovereign, and only available in special proof sets with a mintage of around 5000. Typically these go for over $2000, so a bit out of the bullion league for me. One day though...

Looks like it’s around $2k for the half sovereign and $5k for the full.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about a beginner/basic 8 coins set. (one each of the monarchs)

• George III
    • George IV - Laureate (1821-1825) -or- Bare Head (1825-1830)
    • William IV
    • Victoria - Young Head (1838-1887) -or- Jubilee Head (1887-1893) -or- Old (Veiled) Head (1893-1901)
    • Edward VII
    • George V
    • George VI (Proof)
    • Elizabeth II: Gillick (1957-1968) -or- Machin (1974-1982) -or- Maklouf (1985-1997) -or- Rank-Broadley (1998-2015) -or- Jody Clark (2015- ) -or- James Butler (2016)

It looks like one each of all the different heads would be 16 coins.
    Adding the different reverses would add even more.
    The nice thing about the collection is you can do it in many ways like Exbrit said.

I think there are something like 200+ different combinations of Sovereigns when accounting for things like minor changes to design, various mintmarks, and special issues (such as the 2002 and 1989 special reverses)

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome !
    Great set.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    I think there are something like 200+ different combinations of Sovereigns when accounting for things like minor changes to design, various mintmarks, and special issues (such as the 2002 and 1989 special reverses)

That what makes sovereigns such an awesome series to collect. There are so many different sets that you can build from them. Combined with their historic importance on the world stage and you really have something.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

I think they made QE2 a little less chubby-looking in the face between her 4th & 5th portraits.......