Home Precious Metals

Is there any market for Silver Proof Sets?

dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just the dime, quarter and half (and statehood quarters later on) have any silver (90%), and even the full sets with statehood quarter sets have only about 1.5 oz of silver in them.

In your experience, does anybody buy them, for bullion content or otherwise?

Comments

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I break them up for the silver content, except the 1999 and 2012. The earlier silver sets 57-64 , if nice I group on ebay , crappy spotted sets, i break apart.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doople - I'm glad you asked, as I have a little project now involving silver proof sets, and I've been completing my collection through ebay purchases. So, I can give you a buyer's perspective.

On ebay, a buyer can expect to pay a small but not outlandish premium above the price for typical 90 %. Over the past month, the sets have been trading at 20 - 25 times face. (including shipping, and adjusting for the face value of the non-silver coins) If you are patient, you can acquire them for the lower end.

There does seem to be a very liquid market -- if a set is going for less than a mulitple of 20, someone will jump in. As @jdimmick says, there may be a few "better years". Currently, the 2020s selling for way over spot, but I assume they will come down with time.

Higashiyama
  • USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

eBay; large paying market.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to buy the 1999 and later sets at spot then flip them for a small profit on Craigslist.

Pre-65 proof sets I cut the dime quarter and half out of the cellophane and put them in rolls. Usually donate the nickel and cent to the LCS.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude - what does a roll of 1964 proof quarters go for?

Higashiyama
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 5:22PM

Not very well these days..... on the retail market today 1/13 you'd be lucky to see spot.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    @blitzdude - what does a roll of 1964 proof quarters go for?

The last one on eBay went for $245 including shipping via auction.

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Search on Ebay. Numbers easy to find for completed sales. Many complete silver proof sets selling for $30-$45. Exceptions include 2012, which routinely sells in $130-$150 range, and 1999 which sells in $50-$75 range. Recent years (e.g. 2016 on) selling in $60-$80 range.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 7:46AM

In 1999 I bought 200 1999 silver proof sets from the US mint. Sold them all the way up to $500 per set to coin dealers. It all happened within the of year 1999.
    Ah.. the memories. :)