Home Q & A Forum

What error is on this 1981 Philadelphia Roosevelt dime is it a strike through Grease?

Comments

• bowtechredneckbowtechredneck Posts: 32
    edited January 13, 2021 4:13AM

His eyes look closed his chin looks funny are these letters and Liberty supposed to be this fat and Wide and the mint mark is missing metal around it is there a variety for this coin? I would love to hear what you guys think and this is just the obverse side

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but it's not an error. The coin was struck from very worn dies. Notice all the lines radiating towards the rim. Those are radial flow lines and are characteristic of worn dies

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster beat me to it. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• So it's worth a dime great just thought never seen a mint mark sitting there like an island and the wide letters would make it unique ought well thanks for your advice I'm new to coin collecting only learning by videos I'm sure I have joined the right place to learn more

• Come on guys I thought you guys were going to tell me it was like the sleeping Roosevelt variety thought I was rich LOL

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bowtechredneck said:
    So it's worth a dime great just thought never seen a mint mark sitting there like an island and the wide letters would make it unique ought well thanks for your advice I'm new to coin collecting only learning by videos I'm sure I have joined the right place to learn more

When a die strikes a coin, it causes metal to flow into the design/letters/digits and out towards the rim. Even the dies are made from hardened steel, this metal flow over tens of thousands of strikes can erode the surfaces. All the radial lines on your coin are due to that erosion. The metal flow can also damage/erode the edges of the letters making them look mushier and less distinct. That’s what you’re seeing on the date and mm.

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely worn die. So extreme if it were mine I might hold onto it.