Home Sports Talk

Nick Saban or Bear Bryant.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to ask people over the age of 50 in the great state of Alabama who they feel is Alabama’s greatest coach of all time.

It’s almost blasphemy to speak against the Bear, but as gracious and loving as the Bear was, he himself would even consider Nick.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great question! I give the edge to Bryant though. Back in Bryant’s day there were far less great athletes and no social
    Media to find these guys as easy

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was 7 when Coach Bryant won his first NC at Bama in 1961 so I've seen both.

I love Coach Bryant but I'd give the GOAT to Coach Saban. I think Coach Bryant would agree.

Here's Coach Bryant picking up Coach Stallings after A&M beat Bama, class act.
    Coach Stallings has his boots on..... :)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 7:17AM

When it's all said and done, Nick Saban will probably get the nod for winning the most championships, but Bear Bryant he will never be. Paul Bryant is a legend, he's almost mythical. He was cool as a damn cucumber, and if you haven't read the book "The Junction Boys" I suggest you do so. He could be a ruthless, and scary man if you played for him. He would work you so hard, you couldn't take it anymore. Read "The Junction Boys". The book was also made into a movie, and Bear Bryant was played by Tom Berenger.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saban. All his were won in playoff/ BCS type format. They passed through the gauntlet. Bryant's were all voted on by pollsters

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy one....Bear.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bear. I like his hat. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 6:03PM

Nick Saban and it's not even remotely close. Nick is so far ahead, everyone else is competing for 3rd place.

For half of Bear Bryant's era, there were no scholarship limits. No nationwide TV contracts giving exposure to mid-tier schools. Boosters could openly pay players and nobody cared. No SEC title game. 3 of his national titles are a joke - two came while losing a bowl game, one came with a loss and tie.

Saban has won 6 titles - no funny business with any of them - in 14 years, 11 fewer than Bryant. Played in 2 other title games - so 8 title games in 14 years. Scholarship limits. Far more exposure for other schools, thus more competition for players. Players leaving early. 163-17 in his last 13 seasons.

Saban has done more in less time under far more difficult conditions. Not. Even. Close.

edited January 12, 2021 6:15PM

@Tabe said:
    Nick Saban and it's not even remotely close. Nick is so far ahead, everyone else is competing for 3rd place.

For half of Bear Bryant's era, there were no scholarship limits. No nationwide TV contracts giving exposure to mid-tier schools. Boosters could openly pay players and nobody cared. No SEC title game. 3 of his national titles are a joke - two came while losing a bowl game, one came with a loss and tie.

Saban has won 6 titles - no funny business with any of them - in 14 years, 11 fewer than Bryant. Played in 2 other title games - so 8 title games in 14 years. Scholarship limits. Far more exposure for other schools, thus more competition for players. Players leaving early. 163-17 in his last 13 seasons.

Saban has done more in less time under far more difficult conditions. Not. Even. Close.

I of course agree. Not remotely close. Everyone knows Saban is the correct answer. Channeling my inner stevek

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

These two guys have more in common than you might think- Bear Bryant turned the Kentucky program around- then turned Texas A&M around (after a miserable first season), before going back to Alabama in 1958. Saban did great things at Michigan State and LSU before going to Alabama. So the programs each guy coached were very successful. I do not see it as a fair comparison for a whole host of reasons and different the game was back then.

Instead... I would rather compare Saban to other coaches that are his contemporaries... pick one or two as it really will not matter mainly because Saban is in a class by himself.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coach Bryant's hat was auctioned off at Lelands a while back. Check out the final bid. Impressive.

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=100104

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryant

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Dawg, Bama f'n sucks....Saban all day, no question.