Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Recent purchases

The old Recent purchases thread ended up on that other forum.

Let's get one started again for CU.

Purchased several weeks ago, but my most recent so far.

Lets see some other recent purchases.

Comments

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

@mbwizkid said:
    Very nice @luckybucks
    My most recent addition is this 1995 $5 Chicago replacement note. This is the last of the $5 FRNs featuring the small portrait of Lincoln. I’m pleased with the embossing and centering.

This 1995 $5 FRN serial number appears not to be from the special released folder set of separates or matched ones.
    Nice catch!

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear. It’s the first time I’ve heard anyone pinpoint when and where a replacement note was issued. I’m only used to knowing when they were printed.

@mbwizkid said:
    I believe you’re talking about pairs similar to these.

Yes, wth the folder

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2021 3:45AM

• Here's a trio of pickups from a visit to my LCS earlier this week.

delenda est WitterU

Miami Beach Hoard COP

edited April 9, 2021 4:18PM

@luckybucks said:

Another recent pickup. I am starting to get good at dating the $1 1935 series SC's, based off of plate number. This note was printed sometime in early October 1940. This note replaced a JB block note.

The reverse ink color was changed that month from yellow green to forest green. This is one of the last yellow green backs.

I am awaiting word from the BEP on some $1 1935 series star note data.

Very cool, thank you
    These are my closest, but are either of these 1935-A star notes close to the transition from backs being Yellow-green to - Forest-green? Thank u

*35335281A bp 1448
    *46670738A bp 1853

A new addition from the BST on a different forum. I love the back vignettes on these notes.

edited May 11, 2021 11:14PM

@BadWithMoney said:
    Where do you find that info?\
    @luckybucks said:
    Another recent pickup. I am starting to get good at dating the $1 1935 series SC's, based off of plate number. This note was printed sometime in early October 1940. This note replaced a JB block note.

Good question!
    I'm looking for yellow back stars too

• EagleScout2017EagleScout2017 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

Here's a recent purchase of mine that was a long time in the making.

delenda est WitterU

• redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

PA mule which was an upgrade for me

Tax day was May 17th and for those paying attention saw some bargains.
    Thanks Gary N

• cashhoundcashhound Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

1969A series $1 regular production note. Only 800K printed.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also just an upgrade but now I own the only two surviving issued notes from this bank. The other is also a $1 and a low grade dog.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

@cashhound, nice looking 1969A $1 A-A block note. Others must have noticed the smaller print run on the A-A block and went out and found one because there’s actually more A-A block notes graded than the A-B block, which had almost 40M printed...go figure.

Exceptional!
    I'll even bet you have teh B-J block from the 1935-F series too as you already have the hard ones captured!

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

The Provincial Bank £1 is quite common as a cancelled remainder, those an' the five quid are selling for about £100 eaches now - but try an' find an issued note like this!

Some rather dated and but printed with fine steel plate engravings that incredibly circulated into the very early 1970s even with handsigned notes.

• bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Wow, what a nice selection of notes from around Great Britain. I especially enjoyed the blue Northern Bank of Scotland note. The vignettes on both the front and back are gorgeous. It always amazes me the talent and patience these engravers had. Again, what a sweet batch of notes. Thanks for sharing.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

I agree with 'bammerbb.' The engravings on those large square-formatted (National, Commercial, Royal & North) Scottish high denominations is truly artistic & reflects another era altogether. The subtle colour differences and the attention to detail of their vignettes are real eye-candy for me. The rarity of the Provincial Bank of Ireland & simplicity of the Northern 5 & 10 pounds (plus their topnotch grades) is spectacular. Love the guilloche patterns on the reverse of each one. Fantastic & tough notes to acquire, all of them. Congrats!

• Cody71086Cody71086 Posts: 58 ✭✭

A Heritage win from awhile ago. It seems a small hoard of small size Remsen, Iowa notes have recently come out. Heritage, Stacks, and Lyn Knight have all sold examples recently. This Plymouth County bank has 26+ small size notes known out of 16,300 issued. Chartered in 1903 the bank lasted past the note issuing period.

The printed signatures of Cashier, William George Sievers (1884-1960) and President, William John Kass (1875-1936) appear on the note.

For any other note of this type and condition it would be considered a spender, but this was part of the famous (at least among Iowa collectors) Bayard Hoard. Spark notes version of the story: Woman dies in Bayard, IA. Property abandoned. Boys playing in 1964 find buried jars of coins and currency. People who know nothing about numismatics seize the property not allowing the notes to dry out. Notes sustain damage. Auction occurs in 1968. Buy the Iowa National Bank Notes book by Ehrhardt & Sweeney if you want the full and detailed story.

Not all of the notes were Nationals. There were many Gold Certificates, FRNs, FRBNs, Silver Certificates, and Legal Tender Notes. This note also includes the COA from the 1968 auction. Many of these were thrown out. The condition is fairly typical of the notes in the hoard, however some are out there that show little to no evidence of mishandling/damage. Luck of the draw.

Another cool town name from Iowa. Not much going on in Prairie City nowadays, but back when this note was issued it generated good business on the Rock Island Railroad's Keokuk-Des Moines Branch. Now the railroad is gone and it is just another small, rural Iowa community.

The First NB of Prairie City was chartered in 1903 and lasted past the National issuing era. Only issuing $10s and $20s from 1902 Red Seals to 1929 T-2s, currently 8+ Large and 18+ Small notes are known.

The printed signatures of Cashier, John Van Steenbergen (1885-1967) and President, Barrett Elroy Moore (1862-1945) appear on the note.

Here's some Austrian notgeld that I picked up while vacationing in Florida this past week.

delenda est WitterU

Wonderful notgeld- such a vast selection of these available for very little money. Always love the stories behind the local nationals and now I know a bit more about Iowa. Remsen is an early NY banking name. And I've always loved the colors and designs on the Scottish and Irish notes. They put the English issues to shame. Is the 10 Pound a Bernhardt counterfeit?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

A recent purchase courtesy of eBay.

delenda est WitterU

@BadWithMoney said:
    That's a lot of empty white space on the back, I wonder why they did that.

I’m guessing they didn’t want to make it too “busy”. The design above is considered the Plain Back. There is another design known as the Date Back, for obvious reasons.

• cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

Some of my recents:

My website: RICurrency.com
  • Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

I hadn’t bought any notes for a while, so I just picked these up of of eBay.

My latest additions. I’m seeing a lot of 2017A $20 Atlanta, Dallas and Minneapolis replacement notes but not too many Philadelphia & Cleveland notes.

Are we scheduled to get new signatures on our small size notes? There are new officers and signatures under the Biden Administration.

Here's the one that got away. This one sold a few days ago for nothing. I didn't see it on time.

• Recent pick up from Sunday’s Trevose , Pennsylvania show. Two Paper Currency Dealers in attendance.

• mosjcoinmosjcoin Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Phenomenal error @Swampboy.