Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• nauvcire1nauvcire1 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    • looks like this is old news , but I guess this is more of an update story with them to begin sports card grading in a few weeks.
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2021 6:25PM

csg, cgs, sgc

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2021 6:38PM

nice spiel w automation grading and all. but strong "nope" based on flip look and this:

havent held or have seen a slab in hand and there isn't a banana for scale, but that example sure looks a little thin to my eye"

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA, Beckett, and SGC will be the only three card graders, ever. No one else will ever take hold of this market. It is already established. Just my two cents.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see an 8 like that selling for PSA/SGC/even BVG 5 prices or less.
    Just saying.

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

I think their automated system has some flaws, lol. I am sure these are just mock ups but someone shoulda eye balled them. That Jordan 9.5 is probably an 8 at best with that centering

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Industry disruption is fantastic and I hope they are successful in bringing AI into the space. Surface scanning, sharpness of corners, card dimensions, and centering are certainly things that could be detected utilizing computers. In theory, such tools could create more consistency in grades assigned and could create a better sense of confidence in the grades received. It's a copycat industry so if CSG demonstrates it can grade more consistently and more efficiently, others will scramble to setup similar capabilities.

Jason

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t understand the history of all this. SGC opened its doors in 1998, and CGC was part of that same company when they started grading comics a couple of years later. When and why did SGC split off?

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I don’t understand the history of all this. SGC opened its doors in 1998, and CGC was part of that same company when they started grading comics a couple of years later. When and why did SGC split off?

I believe but not positive that they split when Dave Forman bought SGC?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658