Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Trying to understand how this makes sense if you want to sell a card.

steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

First off I'm not going to mention the seller, but they are 1 of a handful of sellers who usually ask too much anyway that we all know on Ebay and they are ONLY BIN and reject any offers.

Ok....they have a card that is nice but overpriced. I've been watching it for 2 months at least hoping they might shoot me a offer like some do or simply lower the price just a little. Nothing. Checked it today and they RAISED it $25 bucks. WTF?
It's not selling and you RAISE the price? Help me understand how this makes any sense because I'm baffled.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians

Comments

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I wish I could help. I always think the same thing at antique stores and thrift stores - stuff has been sitting on the shelf sometimes it seems like for years. Wouldn't you rather sell it at a slightly lower price than sit on it?

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

Maybe because the price and level of difficulty to get a card graded is making that card and some cards harder to find? just a guess.

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to not waste my time with OBOs. Maybe it's my luck; many times I've submitted a very reasonable offer only to get crickets.

It's like they're waiting out the market to catch up to their price

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

@emar said:
    I tend to not waste my time with OBOs. Maybe it's my luck; many times I've submitted a very reasonable offer only to get crickets.

It's like they're waiting out the market to catch up to their price

These sellers don't take offers........just BIN

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Usually, when there is a BO option, it means the original price is overpriced anyway. I have made offers on cards that the BIN price is $35 and made an offer of $33 and it is auto-declined, so the question is why even have a BIN? Seeing the other side though, I have raised prices on cards where the market has gone up. Just recently, I sold a card for $299 that I couldnt sell for $150 just a few months ago.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
    edited January 9, 2021 2:09PM

Just to be clear, this seller has NEVER cared what the market was. Their cards were always overpriced compared to the "market" from the jump and the card has been there at the same price for months.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if someone really wants the card, but expects the seller to come lower if it doesn't sell at a price that someone thinks is too high, the seller raising the price $25 is a signal that that's not going to happen and someone had better buy now before the price goes up again.

• Yes, I agree. The seller most likely doesn't really care if the card sells. They make it high on purpose because maybe they figure "if it sells, great, I'll just buy it back lower" or "if it doesn't sell I get to keep it anyway"

It's just supply and demand. Just keep looking for the card from another seller that seems reasonable and buy that. Personally, I have slowed down on buying stuff because I believe the market is due for a correction. Cards do not naturally double in price in two months unless there is some kind of unusual event. This has been happening a lot lately. A lot. I think when the global pandemic fever finally breaks, people are going to go back out into the sunshine and the demand will collapse. Now is the time to sell if you have stuff to unload.

edited January 9, 2021 6:16PM

@dustinspeaks said:
    Why would any of you care what I post things for?

Or is that a pot joke?

If you just ignore the top of the market you won't even see me.

eBay is a dumping ground. It's a place where the general public goes to unload. It's also a place where buyers go to buy. If you're selling at the low you might be doing worse than going and selling to your local card shop.

Posting low or high is not the point. The question WAS after several months of no sale at a "high" price, why would you suddenly make it even "higher". Their have been several thoughts on this so far but none that would result in getting the card sold. Looks like another time waster on Ebay. Sometimes a question has no definitive answer.

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

I refer to these sellers as the Ebay Museums.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com

@yankeesman said:
    I refer to these sellers as the Ebay Museums.

That might be the only concrete answer that makes real sense.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller doesn't need the money bad enough.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoot that ain’t anything like I experienced. Card was listed at $330. I thought it was underpriced but like a dumb a$$ I offered $270. He countered with $300. When I noticed after work I went to purchase it. The card was no longer available and relisted at $1100. My bad for being stupid and cheap. Why? Because an auction was running for the exact same card and it had bids on it up to $880. Wasn’t meant to be. P S. The card had a smudge on the back but still. 😣

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    First off I'm not going to mention the seller, but they are 1 of a handful of sellers who usually ask too much anyway that we all know on Ebay and they are ONLY BIN and reject any offers.

Ok....they have a card that is nice but overpriced. I've been watching it for 2 months at least hoping they might shoot me a offer like some do or simply lower the price just a little. Nothing. Checked it today and they RAISED it $25 bucks. WTF?
    It's not selling and you RAISE the price? Help me understand how this makes any sense because I'm baffled.

didn't psa do this? they raised the price for subs, then got an even larger influx of cards?

it's called "fomo" and the acronym stands for "fear of missing out". and you'd be surprised by the effect of "raising the price" has on potential buyers. crazy thing is that it happens all the time, 99% of folks just don't realize it. grocery stores practice this daily. raise the price, then next week offer buy 2, get 1 free which makes folks buy 3. problem being, they are now paying the same price per unit they would have last week, but now bought 3.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Aren't you able to send an offer even if the BIN doesn't mention it?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    edited January 11, 2021 1:30PM

@ldferg said:
    Aren't you able to send an offer even if the BIN doesn't mention it?

Yeah, but they say no to any offers you send. I mean it's not end of the world, just found it odd.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 1:48PM

not all listings are cut from the same cloth. a lot of sellers part ways with cards out of necessity, whereas others aren't actually looking to sell at all -- but they will if the stars align in their world. an everything-has-a-price mentality, if you will.

the fella who bumped the price when confronted with a hint of demand clearly falls in the latter category

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

Blackrose289???

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    Blackrose289???

707, zen, ... ???

deans?

edited January 12, 2021 1:01PM

@blurryface said:
    deans?

Bingo...............we have a winner.

yeah, i can get your frustrations there. my scenario earlier w the grocery stores was based on prices that are at least somewhat realistic. that guy/company is off their proverbial rockers

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steel75 said:

@blurryface said:
    deans?

When Deans sells a card even he must be surprised.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I worked with a guy whose parents were antique dealers and he dabbled a bit. No cards, but some sports memorabilia, toys, beer stuff and Coca cola.

He told me that if an item didn't sell, he would raise the price and it was surprising how often the item sold at the higher price.

This wasn't online, he would set up at shows and flea markets.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-O-Pee-Chee-Buffalo-Sabres-Near-Team-Set-6-EX-MT/402259689120?hash=item5da88bbea0:g:Sh4AAOSwoZBf7Ywt

16 cards from a 264-card set for only $800,000. I wonder what the full 264-card set would cost.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball

@waxman2745 said:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-O-Pee-Chee-Buffalo-Sabres-Near-Team-Set-6-EX-MT/402259689120?hash=item5da88bbea0:g:Sh4AAOSwoZBf7Ywt

16 cards from a 264-card set for only $800,000. I wonder what the full 264-card set would cost.

but i have twins! i can't make them split up the near complete team set.

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    deans?

Definitely my first thought. He does buy cards. A few years back he won a '55 Mays, PSA 5 for a little over $200. Took over a week to pay and listed it at $490 when it was in his possession. Funny, it's still in his "museum" at $1190 now.........

OK, real world example since I decided to try this on one of my listings ...

• Mid-grade, low total pop card of an all-time great
    • Card had been on the monthly BIN/BO rotation for nearly two years @ $50 w/one offer less than I was willing to accept in that time
    • Less than two weeks ago, decided to raise the BIN/BO significantly (7x) to $350
    • This morning, wake up to a $125 offer, hit Accept, and get paid within 15 minutes

So raising the price got me 2.5x asking and sold in two weeks instead of two years. It's crazy that it works, but I'm a believer now.

@LarkinCollector said:

• Mid-grade, low total pop card of an all-time great
    • Card had been on the monthly BIN/BO rotation for nearly two years @ $50 w/one offer less than I was willing to accept in that time
    • Less than two weeks ago, decided to raise the BIN/BO significantly (7x) to $350
    • This morning, wake up to a $125 offer, hit Accept, and get paid within 15 minutes

So raising the price got me 2.5x asking and sold in two weeks instead of two years. It's crazy that it works, but I'm a believer now.

Crazy, but it worked. Not so much for this card.....still collecting Ebay dust for Dean's.

• x2drich2000x2drich2000 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Another real world example. Had an SGC card of a popular HOFer for sale for the past year or so. BIN, no BO. 1 person made a few offers below the asking price. I kept saying the price is listed and I'm not taking offers. I raised the price a few hundred. Same buyer keeps making offers and I decline for the same reason. Eventually his offers got above my original asking price. I raised the price again recently as I saw recent comps of comparable PSA graded cards. Not 24 hours after raising the price, the same guy said he would take it at my previous high price. I declined. Another 24 hours later and another buyer takes it my new price. So within a year, I raised the price twice and made an extra $800.

Time to play again, in the span of the last hour ...

• Received a BO
    • Accepted
    • Buyer sent payment
    • Got two messages from the buyer saying they couldn't verify the cert # on PSA and requesting refund
    • Sent OK to refund w/attached screenshot of PSA cert verify
    • Got two more messages saying refund
    • Refunded and blocked
    • Relist at 2x what original asking was

We'll see what happens from here.

@LarkinCollector said:

• Received a BO
    • Accepted
    • Buyer sent payment
    • Got two messages from the buyer saying they couldn't verify the cert # on PSA and requesting refund
    • Refunded and blocked

Then

@LarkinCollector said:

Mid-grade, low total pop card of an all-time great
    Card had been on the monthly BIN/BO rotation for nearly two years @ $50 w/one offer less than I was willing to accept in that time
    Less than two weeks ago, decided to raise the BIN/BO significantly (7x) to $350
    This morning, wake up to a $125 offer, hit Accept, and get paid within 15 minutes

was all this the same card?

@blurryface said:

@LarkinCollector said:

• Received a BO
    • Accepted
    • Buyer sent payment
    • Refunded and blocked

Then

@LarkinCollector said:

Mid-grade, low total pop card of an all-time great
    Card had been on the monthly BIN/BO rotation for nearly two years @ $50 w/one offer less than I was willing to accept in that time
    Less than two weeks ago, decided to raise the BIN/BO significantly (7x) to $350
    This morning, wake up to a $125 offer, hit Accept, and get paid within 15 minutes

was all this the same card?

No, thankfully the first was legit from a second time buyer. Your package is going out with that sale tomorrow. The latest was just stupid from later today. I can send the eBay ID if you want to avoid.

phew. i didn't want ya to think the raising price strategy didn't work. crazy, but it can be a pretty effective motivator sometimes.

and share away. ain't nobody got time for that!