Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is this error worth?

coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭
edited January 9, 2021 12:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This sold for $500 plus juice & was wondering what anyone thinks the real value of it is considering that it was estimated by the auction house at $1250+?

https://www.icollector.com/1836-LARGE-CENT-NGC-XF-RARE-MINT-ERROR-MEDALLIC-ALIGNMENT_i21422666

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 6:04PM

@coin22lover said:
    Does this seem like a real auction result for this coin? It only sold for $500 plus juice when the estimate was $1,250-$1,500. Maybe 2 people weren't in the right place at the right time?

https://www.icollector.com/1836-LARGE-CENT-NGC-XF-RARE-MINT-ERROR-MEDALLIC-ALIGNMENT_i21422666

Estimates by the auction house mean almost nothing. Some houses go intentionally high to try to plant that number in your head. Others go intentionally low to try to convince their consignors that they got way more money. And some give reasonable estimates.

Alignment errors on large cents aren't really that uncommon. 180 degree rotation is a little unusual, but that coin sold for well more than a straight XF would have much less an XF details.

• Options

TTT?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Details" kills the price.

• Options

I actually have the coin and was having a hard time figuring it out. Putting a value on errors is difficult for me.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Error Collectors want the same positive attributes as others. Problem coins are avoided.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plus, errors are more attractive to collectors when the error is obvious. This one isn't seen until the coin is manipulated in hand (turning it over).

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file